Florida Wild Boar - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
was trying to link a picture of the feral hog range.

SQUIRREL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 11:28 AM
Elite Member

There is some hope. This hog bait being tested is put out in fenced 'traps' so livestock dont get in and eat it. Since it is sodium nitrate, (what bacon is pickled with ha ha ha) and the hogs do not have the enzyme to neutralize it. They do not suffer, they just go to 'sleep'.

Potentially potent feral hog poison bait to be field tested in Texas

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 04:08 PM
Master Member

At 6-700 lbs heís a hybrid. Meaning part domestic, part wild. They can get huge but the biggest Iíve ever caught was about 300 lbs and from hoof to shoulder he was about waist high on me at 6í tall. Your shot would have to be absolutely perfect to kill it with just about any handgun round. Iíve dug .308 rounds out of the shoulders of smaller hogs to give you an idea of how tough their bone and skin are. Your best bet is to avoid it entirely. They can become extremely aggressive if provoked and thereís next to nothing you can do to stop it without the right tools.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 04:24 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
was trying to link a picture of the feral hog range.
So they are already moving north. We did screw up the natural balance big time with all these invaders.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegooseman90 View Post
At 6-700 lbs heís a hybrid. Meaning part domestic, part wild. They can get huge but the biggest Iíve ever caught was about 300 lbs and from hoof to shoulder he was about waist high on me at 6í tall. Your shot would have to be absolutely perfect to kill it with just about any handgun round. Iíve dug .308 rounds out of the shoulders of smaller hogs to give you an idea of how tough their bone and skin are. Your best bet is to avoid it entirely. They can become extremely aggressive if provoked and thereís next to nothing you can do to stop it without the right tools.
So is there nothing to do if one decides to attack you? They hang out right on the trail so they're hard to avoid. Stop hiking entirely? I can climb a tree but I worry about my dog... do you think he's fast enough to get away from one? Aren't these guys originally from Russia? I could easily see them infesting the north if so that's like home territory...

SQUIRREL!
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 05:54 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheShepherd View Post
So is there nothing to do if one decides to attack you? They hang out right on the trail so they're hard to avoid. Stop hiking entirely? I can climb a tree but I worry about my dog... do you think he's fast enough to get away from one? Aren't these guys originally from Russia? I could easily see them infesting the north if so that's like home territory...
Most likely may rush your dog but wonít full out chase to attack although itís hard to say whoíd win that race. Iíve had dogs outrun by hogs before. The problem would be if your dog attacked it. That first initial cut may be all it takes. Especially if it starts near the belly or groin. Their head motion is how dogs end up gutted in that event. Muscle cuts are ugly and scary but not usually life threatening. As far as stopping them basically youíre SOL. Theyíre far tougher than you or your dog. Way stronger and they bring knives to the fight. Personally Iíd find a new trail to hike or youíre rolling the dice on whether they attack or your dog does
GandalfTheShepherd likes this.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 11:24 PM

i would listen to gooseman and jsut avoid the trail.
even if you get a concealed weaps permit, you are not trained enough to put a few rounds under stress on a moving target.
think of this, you need at least 21 feet to draw your weapon and put 2 rounds center mass against an attacker moving towards you- this is against human, a boar runs faster than a person.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 08:52 AM
Crowned Member

Wow scary. I thought we are free of the boar issue but it looks like Ashtabula County,Ohio and Erie County PA have them. Glad you and Gandalf are both safe. your training has really paid off. Good job Gandalf! Interesting thread . Doesn't sound like there is a lot to do other than train your dog and avoid.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page