49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 10:33 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheShepherd View Post
Sorry if this is off topic a bit but I've only ever lived in a one dog household at a time (and had hopes of one day getting my pup a friend). Is it impossible then to have two dogs coexist peacefully in a home? Also (not bashing here i'm genuinely curious) why keep more than one dog if they fight so badly? Sounds stressful and dangerous? And accidents happen yikes?
It is not impossible to have two dogs and have them get along and enjoy each other. I've had at least two GSD's since the 90's. I've had three at some points as I have three dogs now.

Two of my three dogs get along extremely well. Actually Francesca, my female gets along with both Boomer and Boru. They love her and she is always out with one of them. My two males are never together because Boomer is dog aggressive and will start a fight. In two years they have had one fight. Boru was in my Patrol car and Boomer was in the front yard. My wife didn't know Boru was in the Patrol car and told Boomer to "get in the car." Boomer can open car doors and opened the door to get in as he was told and met Boru. Actually, Boomer who was 10 years old then, pulled Boru out of the car and the fight started. I will never teach another dog to open a car door.

Why would I keep two aggressive male dogs? Why would I go through the trouble of rotating dogs, kenneling one and letting another out? Why would I deal with the barking, the potential fights and what some would consider stressful and dangerous?

It's really simple, it's neither stressful nor do I consider it all that dangerous for me to deal with these dogs. Why would I have two strong, dominant dogs? Because I have had Boomer since he was a 7 week old pup. I raised, trained and worked that dog on the street for over 9 years. Boomer was my dual purpose Patrol, Narcotics and SWAT K-9. He was responsible for hundreds of narcotics finds and arrests. He had over 100 apprehensions on the street, tracked and found violent felons. Then tracked and found missing children, suicidal subjects, and dementia and alzheimers patients. I will never forget the woman we found that would have died from exposure in a swamp, and the tears he husband had when I told him his wife was safe. I've been in some very stressful spots with Boomer and he was there to take my stress away. Boomer will always have a place in my home, forever would not be long enough to have with him. Is it a little extra work, yes it is, but I do not mind, not one bit. Boru is Boomer's replacement and my current dual purpose Patrol Dog. He now has a place in my home as well and he can also stay here for ever.

Here is the worst trick ever to teach a dog: [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]

Thank you for the info, I can completely understand why you live with multiple dogs of course! That trick is amazing, how did you teach it???

SQUIRREL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheShepherd View Post
Thank you for the info, I can completely understand why you live with multiple dogs of course! That trick is amazing, how did you teach it???
That took literally five minutes to teach. I tossed Boomer's toy in the car and closed the door. I got him all pumped up and excited and pulled him back from the car then released him and told him to get his toy. When he touched the door handle with his nose I popped the door open and let him in to get his toy. I repeated this a few times, each time he touched the door handle I praised and rewarded him by opening the door and letting him get this toy. Then it progressed to him having to move the door handle and he was rewarded. Then he popped the door handle the door opened and we had a big party and he was rewarded. Then he did it each time on his own. It's not a hard thing to train, I just would not do it again. A great trick for demos, bad otherwise. Besides dogs, Boomer would open car doors to get to people as well.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 11:52 PM
Master Member

Sounds like a lot of overreaction going on here. That injury looks far worse than it is because the neck is shaved and in all honesty you're lucky it isn't worse after pulling the dog by his legs. That can go from a puncture wound to a tear real quick.

I don't see any issue with letting this dogs back out together honestly. I don't think it's likely to keep repeating itself like if you had a dog aggressive dog going after her. Or crate and rotate is easy enough IF you want to keep helping your friends out.
Sabis mom and tim_s_adams like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 12:18 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Oh no doubt, and that's called "experience."

And yep most of the time it's the owner that gets injured in "dust up's??" But the OP dog's got banged up more than my Gunther did?? It was five such dust up's before, I first realized I had a "Pack Problem???" But 8 years ago ... I did what the OP's partner did, and most likely he got lucky?? Me not so much?? But whatever, won't happen again, in theory, two dogs a male and female the OP should not be having issues and yet here we are???

Rules,Structure and Limitations if this is going to work, both dog's lives in the home need to change. Give the new guy an "opportunity" to take advantage of an opening ... and he has proven he will take advantage of it!

That's all they need to know. Crate and Rotate is fine for managing this crap but I would manage that get's old??? The fact of the matter is these dogs may never like each other?? But yeah they can be managed, if that is what the OP plans to sign up for???

No "free Roaming" in the home, don't allow the problem dog, the opportunity to cause trouble. That would be a good first step.
Experience helps, but getting this type of experience is not something most folks want. In general though, people who can keep their wits about them in stressful situations will fare much better than those who panic.

Having two males that don't get along living in the same home can be difficult, but for us we found a system that works well, keeps both dogs safe and all their needs met.

Our female took some understanding of what triggered her. 99% of the time she was fine with our other dogs, but should one of them display some kind of weakness she'd be on them. We got her OB rock solid and can reliably control her actions. It helps that she has a strong urge to work with her people. She also has a strong urge to hold things, especially balls. We used this in the beginning stage of sorting out the problem as something of a redirect.
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 01:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Experience helps, but getting this type of experience is not something most folks want.
LOL, no, no they don't! But sometimes "crap Happens" and now here
we are as it were???

Most owners when they contemplate adding another dog are not looking for a challenge??? They expect that they will just add dog "X." Dog "X" will blend right in nothing needs to change and we will get on with life??? I suppose most of the time that works out just fine?? But sometimes with some dog's ... not so much??? At that point it's time to decide:

Now they "know" they have some work to do to make this dog a fit for there household. Lack of enough "Structure/Rules and Management" for the new dog. If he were not where he was ... this situation as posted would not have occurred??? The new dog should have been in (Place) which would need to taught or in a "Down/Stay" but not a "Sit." The new guy took advantage of an opportunity given ... and now they know.

That does not mean this dog can't fit in?? But it does meant that making it so, will require a bit more effort than expected???

Quote:
In general though, people who can keep their wits about them in stressful situations will fare much better than those who panic.
Aww, well tomato, tomato??? People that "panic" don't generally, hurl themselves into the middle of a "Dog Fight" and pry open a dog's jaws???

The argument could be made that there are better approaches to breaking a dog fight??? And one of them would be keeping a drag leash on the problem dog for indoor use. A short leash with no handle to get caught up on furniture, so that one does not have to lay hands on a dog, if there is an "issue." Of course, one would first have to understand they have a "issue" before taking that step.
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 01:53 PM
Banned

Quote:

Our female took some understanding of what triggered her. 99% of the time she was fine with our other dogs, but should one of them display some kind of weakness she'd be on them. We got her OB rock solid and can reliably control her actions. It helps that she has a strong urge to work with her people. She also has a strong urge to hold things, especially balls. We used this in the beginning stage of sorting out the problem as something of a redirect.
I'll just say here, thanks for the info.
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 02:26 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
LOL, no, no they don't! But sometimes "crap Happens" and now here
we are as it were???

Most owners when they contemplate adding another dog are not looking for a challenge??? They expect that they will just add dog "X." Dog "X" will blend right in nothing needs to change and we will get on with life??? I suppose most of the time that works out just fine?? But sometimes with some dog's ... not so much??? At that point it's time to decide:

Now they "know" they have some work to do to make this dog a fit for there household. Lack of enough "Structure/Rules and Management" for the new dog. If he were not where he was ... this situation as posted would not have occurred??? The new dog should have been in (Place) which would need to taught or in a "Down/Stay" but not a "Sit." The new guy took advantage of an opportunity given ... and now they know.

That does not mean this dog can't fit in?? But it does meant that making it so, will require a bit more effort than expected???

Aww, well tomato, tomato??? People that "panic" don't generally, hurl themselves into the middle of a "Dog Fight" and pry open a dog's jaws???

The argument could be made that there are better approaches to breaking a dog fight??? And one of them would be keeping a drag leash on the problem dog for indoor use. A short leash with no handle to get caught up on furniture, so that one does not have to lay hands on a dog, if there is an "issue." Of course, one would first have to understand they have a "issue" before taking that step.
Chip, it sounds to me (unless I am under caffeinated, which is a possibility!) like these people are not trying to integrate a new dog into their household, but rather just being asked to dog sit this dog in their home. In a situation like this, there is really no need to try to integrate the dogs. OP, if you and your husband do decide to watch this dog in the future, I would just crate and rotate for the duration of his stay. There is no need to disrupt the way your household runs for a dog that is only visiting. If that doesn’t work for you, I would suggest just saying no to watching this dog. It’s not that they couldn’t get along, it’s just that it probably isn’t worth it to try to manage them being together since he wouldn’t be staying long term. Just my opinion, though.
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGhost View Post
Chip, it sounds to me (unless I am under caffeinated, which is a possibility!) like these people are not trying to integrate a new dog into their household, but rather just being asked to dog sit this dog in their home. In a situation like this, there is really no need to try to integrate the dogs. OP, if you and your husband do decide to watch this dog in the future, I would just crate and rotate for the duration of his stay. There is no need to disrupt the way your household runs for a dog that is only visiting. If that doesn’t work for you, I would suggest just saying no to watching this dog. It’s not that they couldn’t get along, it’s just that it probably isn’t worth it to try to manage them being together since he wouldn’t be staying long term. Just my opinion, though.
This ^^^^^ is a very good point. The OP and her husband did a nice thing and watched a friend's dog. They had done this before with out incident and were not expecting a problem. The Op's husband did a great job of instinctively breaking up the fight and minimized injuries and damage. We all live and learn, except for those folks that qualify for Darwin awards.

It is up to the OP and her husband to decide if they take the dog in again. If they do, I'm sure they will make some changes. If they decide not too, as it can be a big hassle, I would completely understand.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 03:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGhost View Post
As I read it, they do want to continue to help there friends??? And the possibility also exist that, the dog could possibly stay with them permanently???

If the dog is just "visiting???" Sure Crate and Rotate, keep everybody safe and call it day. No need to invest a lot of time and effort into integration??? But if there is a possibility that the dog will stay??? Then now would be the ideal time to see if, they could make him a good fit???

The OP did not say how long the dog's next planned visit will be with them??? But now they more fully understand that this is not a "No effort required" situation.
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

First of all, thank you all for your input. I don't have a computer at home, and hate typing out replies on my phone.

Fortunately Suki is doing fine, and she is totally fine around other dogs (she actually lives with another female GSD). The other couple have offered to pay for the vet visit and the chiropractor adjustment.

We have decided that we will not have Simba stay in February. We will re-introduce them in a neutral location at some point, but I do not feel comfortable having him free in the house with her. Crating could be an option, but we know from past experience that he cries all night if he's crated, and nobody gets any sleep.
Slamdunc, Chip18 and GypsyGhost like this.

Suki (Bella vom Wofenhaus, born May 31, 2008)
Diva (Aphrodite de Domus Didacus, born December 4, 2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page