Suki was attacked by visiting dog - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 07:28 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheShepherd View Post
I must have missed the part that her dog snapped first. I think you may have misunderstood me. The OP said her husband had to literally pry the dogs jaws off her poor dog. I wouldn't have been that patient, I would have done anything to save my dog as quickly as possible and the husband could have gotten bitten badly too. The friend is irresponsible for not telling the OP that her dog was aggressive/reactive. I've watched aggressive dogs before but the people always give me a heads up so I can contain the dog appropriately and crate rotate like you said. The aggressive dogs I watch are also ancient and have no teeth left so if they did go for my dog he wouldn't get hurt, and I know mine isn't a fighter. What if the next time the dog gets a better hold and the husband can't pry it off? No way for both dogs safety.
Taking just a fraction of a second to think as you intervene will reduce the likelyhood of being bitten. Jumping into it frantically is a good way to get nailed, my wife has learned this the hard way. From the sound of it the Op and her husband did a good job of breaking it up.

I have two males that don't like each other and a female that attacks weakness. We live the crate, gate, and rotate with the boys and we keep a close eye on our female. Luckily our girl is easy to read and has mellowed a bit with age.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 07:59 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Taking just a fraction of a second to think as you intervene will reduce the likelyhood of being bitten. Jumping into it frantically is a good way to get nailed, my wife has learned this the hard way. From the sound of it the Op and her husband did a good job of breaking it up.

I have two males that don't like each other and a female that attacks weakness. We live the crate, gate, and rotate with the boys and we keep a close eye on our female. Luckily our girl is easy to read and has mellowed a bit with age.
Sorry if this is off topic a bit but I've only ever lived in a one dog household at a time (and had hopes of one day getting my pup a friend). Is it impossible then to have two dogs coexist peacefully in a home? Also (not bashing here i'm genuinely curious) why keep more than one dog if they fight so badly? Sounds stressful and dangerous? And accidents happen yikes?
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Sorry if this is off topic a bit but I've only ever lived in a one dog household at a time (and had hopes of one day getting my pup a friend). Is it impossible then to have two dogs coexist peacefully in a home? Also (not bashing here i'm genuinely curious) why keep more than one dog if they fight so badly? Sounds stressful and dangerous? And accidents happen yikes?
It would be a great idea to start a new thread about how others live in multiple dog households and their successes and issues.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 08:14 PM

Heck no. That is enough trauma for your dog and you.
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 08:31 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Of all the dogs I have had in my house, I can count on one hand the number of fights I have had. Anytime you put two dogs together diligence is key.
The biggest danger in my eyes is transference of aggression. I have watched dog fights start over a squirrel outside. The dogs get wound up, someone bumps someone else and the war is on. It's reason number one that I dislike leaving two dogs loose and unattended. Toys and treats are another big no no. A friend of mines two dogs tore her third dog to pieces in her living room over treats. They had all lived together for years.
And you need to mind the dynamic.
When Sabi died Bud decided he hated Shadow. They had previously played together and I honestly believed he liked her. I was wrong. I never let it happen again.
For a lot of people multi dog households are necessary, for others they just like it.
I don't care about the crate and rotate, I got used to it between fosters and my own dogs. And if need be I will do it again.
It really isn't that bad if you do it right. It can be stressful for the dogs if they aren't conditioned to it, which is stressful to the owners.
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 08:53 PM
Crowned Member

Maybe if your husband and you had been fully honest about what had happend, maybe they wouldn't ask you to take their dog. Communication is key. People can't take advantage of you without your permission.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 07:28 PM
Banned

Quote:

LOL take a fraction of a second to think?? I luv that but I'm gonna guest, that is not how the OP better half rolls???

I must say I'm impressed that he was able to pull off the prying open the jaws bit ... injury free???? I tried that with 116 lbs of out of control GSD and it did not work out so well for me! That's how I got the first stitches, in my life ever! It felt like my fingers were caught in a white hot vice of pain!!! Good times , good times.

At any rate the dogs now have history, I won't say it can't be done but I will say, it would require "work!" If the the OP chooses to go forward??? Then they will have signed onto become "Dog Trainers" because, well now they know.

Crate and rotate is simple enough for the most part??? But I would imagine... that gets old??? If they choose to go forward with "this dog??" Everything about how they live with both dogs would need to change!

No free roaming in the house, you can't control a dog if you don't know where they are or what they are doing??? If they do chose to bring this guy in, the first step would be the first link here.:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/5296377-post8.html
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 08:22 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
LOL take a fraction of a second to think?? I luv that but I'm gonna guest, that is not how the OP better half rolls???

I must say I'm impressed that he was able to pull off the prying open the jaws bit ... injury free???? I tried that with 116 lbs of out of control GSD and it did not work out so well for me! That's how I got the first stitches, in my life ever! It felt like my fingers were caught in a white hot vice of pain!!! Good times , good times.

At any rate the dogs now have history, I won't say it can't be done but I will say, it would require "work!" If the the OP chooses to go forward??? Then they will have signed onto become "Dog Trainers" because, well now they know.

Crate and rotate is simple enough for the most part??? But I would imagine... that gets old??? If they choose to go forward with "this dog??" Everything about how they live with both dogs would need to change!

No free roaming in the house, you can't control a dog if you don't know where they are or what they are doing??? If they do chose to bring this guy in, the first step would be the first link here.:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/5296377-post8.html
Take a look a Slamdunks post about getting between Boomer and Boru. He looked for and grabbed Boomer for good reason. He didn't go in blindly grabbing collars, he used his head. People often become panicked, scared and freak out getting themselves injured in the process and in the case of two equally matched dogs their injuries usually end up relatively minor. I'm not advocating standing around pondering the best way to go about it, I'm saying use your head and be smart about it.
Chip18 and MineAreWorkingline like this.
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Take a look a Slamdunks post about getting between Boomer and Boru. He looked for and grabbed Boomer for good reason. He didn't go in blindly grabbing collars, he used his head. People often become panicked, scared and freak out getting themselves injured in the process and in the case of two equally matched dogs their injuries usually end up relatively minor. I'm not advocating standing around pondering the best way to go about it, I'm saying use your head and be smart about it.
Oh no doubt, and that's called "experience."

And yep most of the time it's the owner that gets injured in "dust up's??" But the OP dog's got banged up more than my Gunther did?? It was five such dust up's before, I first realized I had a "Pack Problem???" But 8 years ago ... I did what the OP's partner did, and most likely he got lucky?? Me not so much?? But whatever, won't happen again, in theory, two dogs a male and female the OP should not be having issues and yet here we are???

Rules,Structure and Limitations if this is going to work, both dog's lives in the home need to change. Give the new guy an "opportunity" to take advantage of an opening ... and he has proven he will take advantage of it!

That's all they need to know. Crate and Rotate is fine for managing this crap but I would manage that get's old??? The fact of the matter is these dogs may never like each other?? But yeah they can be managed, if that is what the OP plans to sign up for???

No "free Roaming" in the home, don't allow the problem dog, the opportunity to cause trouble. That would be a good first step.
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
It is not impossible to have two dogs and have them get along and enjoy each other. I've had at least two GSD's since the 90's. I've had three at some points as I have three dogs now.

Two of my three dogs get along extremely well. Actually Francesca, my female gets along with both Boomer and Boru. They love her and she is always out with one of them. My two males are never together because Boomer is dog aggressive and will start a fight. In two years they have had one fight. Boru was in my Patrol car and Boomer was in the front yard. My wife didn't know Boru was in the Patrol car and told Boomer to "get in the car." Boomer can open car doors and opened the door to get in as he was told and met Boru. Actually, Boomer who was 10 years old then, pulled Boru out of the car and the fight started. I will never teach another dog to open a car door.

Why would I keep two aggressive male dogs? Why would I go through the trouble of rotating dogs, kenneling one and letting another out? Why would I deal with the barking, the potential fights and what some would consider stressful and dangerous?

It's really simple, it's neither stressful nor do I consider it all that dangerous for me to deal with these dogs. Why would I have two strong, dominant dogs? Because I have had Boomer since he was a 7 week old pup. I raised, trained and worked that dog on the street for over 9 years. Boomer was my dual purpose Patrol, Narcotics and SWAT K-9. He was responsible for hundreds of narcotics finds and arrests. He had over 100 apprehensions on the street, tracked and found violent felons. Then tracked and found missing children, suicidal subjects, and dementia and alzheimers patients. I will never forget the woman we found that would have died from exposure in a swamp, and the tears he husband had when I told him his wife was safe. I've been in some very stressful spots with Boomer and he was there to take my stress away. Boomer will always have a place in my home, forever would not be long enough to have with him. Is it a little extra work, yes it is, but I do not mind, not one bit. Boru is Boomer's replacement and my current dual purpose Patrol Dog. He now has a place in my home as well and he can also stay here for ever.

Here is the worst trick ever to teach a dog:

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page