Was this a good thing or a bad thing? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Was this a good thing or a bad thing?

Sib and I were in Home Depot the other day and one of the employees there comes up and comments on how pretty Sib is and sez he used to breed, raise and show GSD's. (There's ALWAYS one!) Anyhow,Sib was standing as he walked around her and checked her out..Sib is very friendly and just kinda turned with the guy..But then the guy squats down right in front of her and looks her straight in the eyes and she barked at him and backed up in between my legs..She did not lunge forward but it seemed like she was saying this is my space--The guys sezs oh that was exactly what she should have done..I should not have got down to her level and looked her square in the eyes.. Is this true or was Sib bad?

Sibi-
Zoe..R.I.P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 04:40 PM

That's so true..you don't do that to a dog that doesn't fully know and trust you.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Crowned Member

That was stupid of him. My dog might have gone forward instead of back if he was staring her in the eye. Sib was NOT bad. She responded with flight over fight when he purposely invaded her space and challenged her by staring her in the eye.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Sib sounded a bit nervous and overwhelmed - true he should not have done that but think a kid would be right there so it is good to socialize to folks in strange positions. How old is she?

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

She is 2 1/2--She is Never aggressive towards anyone--though does bark at the guy walking his dog in the morning--She really is a good dog...I have had children come up to us and ask to pet her and i have her sit first and she is fine--actually she could take it or leave it, but is never disturbed by it

Sibi-
Zoe..R.I.P
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Sib sounded a bit nervous and overwhelmed - true he should not have done that but think a kid would be right there so it is good to socialize to folks in strange positions. How old is she?

That is true, and I'm sure not all dogs are like this, but Jax has a different reaction when it's a kid. She kicks down a gear and is very gentle.

How does Sib react to kids? Has she been around many?

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

sib is around my grandsons but only once a year--Again, she could take them or leave them..She is a mommas girl and doesn't ever go far from me..My youngest grandson is autistic and therefore a little over ampt'd but Sib does not seem effected by it..

Sibi-
Zoe..R.I.P
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Crowned Member

He used to breed, raise and show dogs and he does that.

Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

Rolf, black German import ♥️ DOB 6-7-2019
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 05:10 PM
Crowned Member

He challenged her and he was lucky she didn't lunge and bite him. What a doofus

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 05:13 PM
Knighted Member

I watched a vet tech interact with my husky and she always looked away. I don't think you're supposed to look a dog in the eyes if you do not know the dog very well. I read somewhere (if you want I can find the reference for you?) that in the K9 world, looking away (or not looking a dog in eyes) is a gesture of being non threatening...your dog reacted fairly naturally...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page