Almost got a 400 dollar ticket yesterday :( - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Almost got a 400 dollar ticket yesterday :(

At the river in San Marcos, there is a spot where there is a river bank about 30 feet long, and then there is a grassy hill that goes up from the river bank where students lay out and tan/ drink. Seperating the two is a big pile of rocks that you have to climb over.

The river bank is the designated "dog area". Your dogs can be off leash in the dog area, but nowhere else. This is the ONLY place on the river that has a dog designated area, whereas there are millions of places on the river for families to go to.

Yesterday, Rocky was playing on the river bank with 4 pitbulls, a chihuahua, and 4 other mix breeds that were larger than Rocky. So 10 dogs were on the dog area, rough housing.

Well, what I consider to be two dumb parents brought their child that could not have been older than 2 1/2, right into the dog area! (By the way, the river bank is covered with slime, so it is very slippery)

The kid immedietely spots the chihuahua and grabs at it and it growls at him. The parents YELL at the owner, then continue walking with their child. Next, the kid starts waddling over to Rocky, with his arms extended. Rocky has never seen a kid younger than 3. The kid is inches away and rather than see how he reacts when this little kid grabs his face, I yell "BYE" and sprint off in the other direction, about ten feet off of the river bank into a woody area. Rocky follows me, of course, and I put him in a sit. He sits there and watches the child waddle around all of the dogs, and I keep him there waiting for the dumb parents to go back to the "people" area.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see this awkward looking man in what appears to be a boy scout uniform making a bee line for Rocky and I. There is a bank that is about 4 feet over us, and he stops right there with his hands on his hips staring straight at us.

It turns out to be a ranger. I ask "Is there a problem sir?" And he begins screaming at me. I am a 20 year old woman. This is a 50 year old man in a position of authority. He gets red in the face from yelling at me. "I cant believe you think you can run over here with your dog. There is a leash law, you are lucky you have the river bank to play on. I can give you a 400 ticket right now. What are you thinking???"

Well, of course when the man begins yelling at me, it frightens me. I have never had a man yell at me that way. Rocky goes PSYCHO and jumps up and stands in between the man and I and begins barking at the man in a very defensive way. He still isn't on a leash, and there is no way I am going to get him in a sit and stay while this man is yelling at me. So I say "sorry" then I yell "Rocky" and I ran back to the river bank, where he follows me. I clipped his leash on, and started to leave when an older woman stopped me. "How dare that man talk to you like that! Was he yelling about your dog? We all had to get our dogs away when that couple brought their baby over and it started grabbing them!"

Her dog was the chihuahua. Well, the ranger heard her and walked over and gave her a ticket because her chihuahua's leash was a piece of rope that was only a foot long. (the dog was laying at her feet)

I got in my car, very upset, and watched the officer sprint over to two men that were throwing frisbees for their dog in the woods beside the river. He gave both of them tickets too.

I know I'm lucky I didn't get a ticket, but I am still very upset about the situation. I don't feel like any man should ever yell at a woman that way. Also, I don't feel like I was in the wrong. If the idiot couple hadn't brought their child into the DOG area, none of us dog owners would have had to move our dogs. There is more river ten feet down, where the river bank ends, where people go in.

I understand that in a normal situation, if I was on the river in a non dog designated area, I shouldn't have my dog off leash if he doesn't listen perfectly when I say sit. However, in this case, Rocky knows the boundaries of the river bank and won't ever leave it unless I call him off of it. We only had to get off to avoid the baby.

Honestly, do you think I am in the wrong? I am still upset about it and it was a whole day ago! What would you have done in my situation?

((PS: This particular section is 90% wasted college students, smoking and drinking and too much PDA. The other 10% are dog owners. I have never seen a child in this area before, who would bring their kid there??? There are TONS of family spots all over the river.))

Also, two weeks ago, I was running in the same woods area at 8 in the morning with Rocky off leash. Two officers got out of the car and started talking to me. I told Rocky to sit, put him on leash, and they talked about how good he was. Then I took him off leash again and we continued our run. The two police officers said nothing about me running with him off leash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Knighted Member

Um, yeah, this is why I am TOTALLY against dogs off lead in public places. You never know what will happen. STUPID parents, stupid owners (such as the pit bull owners), stupid people in general... That sounds like a dumb, dangerous place.

I think the guy was probably was out of line, but if it's like you described PS: This particular section is 90% wasted college students, smoking and drinking and too much PDA. the guy was probably totally sick of everyone there and took it out on you? I would have just apologized and walked away to avoid and confrontation and have my dog bite someone if he thought I was in danger, like Rocky seemed to do.

I do not blame him, though, for fining every person who is breaking the leash law/rule.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Knighted Member

I hate those boy scouts with a passion. Out of about 50 encounters with them, I've had ONE be respectful to me. I really hate that they're of the opinion that if someone is breaking the law it's automatically OK to treat them like garbage. I'm even more annoyed that those people are paid with my tax dollars when there are much more deserving people of that overpaid job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 12:28 PM
Crowned Member

I think that either you or the other dog owner should have told the man that you had to remove your dogs because the parents with the baby were going through the off lead dogs and letting their child go up to them indiscriminately. I do not care how good your dog is, when they are ramped up playing with other dogs, a baby can get hurt, maybe by being knocked over, maybe by a toenail, or stepped on, it does not have to be bitten.

But the man has a job to do. He saw your dog with you off lead. He had two choices, to issue you a fine, or to chew you out. I would prefer to be chewed out myself. I cannot afford a $400 fine. So he cut you a break.

I also do not understand why the moment you were out of the dog area, you did not attach your lead.

I think that yelling BYE and getting your dog out of there was definitely the thing to do. Yes. But as soon as you were out of danger, you should have put the leash on the dog. Then the trouble would have been averted. And if he said anything to you, or maybe you should have said to him first:

Mister, are you the ranger here?

Well we were in the dog area there, and some people with no dog came through it with their two year old and they are letting the kid run amok grabbing at dogs that are already ramped up from playing.

Could you go over there and tell them that they are being unsafe with their child in the dog's off lead play area?

He could say yes or no, but chances are he would not ticket you.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Elite Member

Find out who is in charge of the area by the river: city, county, state: and then file a complaint against the officer. They will know who was on duty that particular day and explain what he did, ie the yelling and screaming, explain why you were where you were and then maybe they will have a talk with the "ranger rick" and tell him to find out the next time why someone is out of the dog part before he starts yelling.
Also it might help whomever is in charge to think about putting up a sign stating the area is off limits expect for dogs and dog owners.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 02:15 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
But the man has a job to do. He saw your dog with you off lead. He had two choices, to issue you a fine, or to chew you out. I would prefer to be chewed out myself. I cannot afford a $400 fine. So he cut you a break.
IMHO the officer had at least THREE choices ... not two ...
1. chew her out ...
2. issue the $400 ticket OR
3. Act civilly and respectfully like an employee and representative of the US/STATE/LOCAL government should do and explain the rules to her and tell her not to do it again!!!

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Crowned Member

I wonder if this response would be different if this was a police officer doing the shouting.

Oh yeah, I already know that answer. There were differences though. My dog was ON LEAD. I was in a public parking lot, used by bars, local businesses, the court house, county jail, and the sherriff's department. And the guy not only yelled at me, he threatened to arrest me, no fine though -- because I wasn't DOING anything illegal. And if I remember correctly, the people here were less than sympathetic. But that was a police officer/sherriff's deputy, and this guy is just a lowly ranger.

And I did call. And I did complain. And I was told that I could train my dogs in the lot.

But then I wasn't doing anything illegal at the time. I was not breaking any rules.

If we ARE breaking the rules, we have to at least tell the guy why we are doing it. And then it is up to him whether or not to site us anyway.

Again, I would rather someone chew me out than give me a $400 ticket any day. That is like a gift.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Elite Member

If a guy talked to my wife like that and I was there. I would have clocked the guy, no second thoughts.

-Erich

Jove vom Denali - HOT

Waiting at the Bridge: Samurai and Beausox
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 03:01 PM
Crowned Member

And you would be arrested, and you would have to go in front of the judge, and if it was your first offense you would probably get away with probation, a healthy fine, and court/lawyer costs. Going around decking people who are not decking you or your loved one can get you in a world of hurt.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
And you would be arrested, and you would have to go in front of the judge, and if it was your first offense you would probably get away with probation, a healthy fine, and court/lawyer costs. Going around decking people who are not decking you or your loved one can get you in a world of hurt.
Thank you Captain Obvious. Your obvious post was very obvious.

-Erich

Jove vom Denali - HOT

Waiting at the Bridge: Samurai and Beausox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page