Shadow ran off - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Shadow ran off

Things had been busy here yesterday and Shadow didn't get to go to the dog park at the normal time. So my son took her down there later. The lighting at the park doesn't reach all areas, and unfortunately my son couldn't find Shadow's blinker before they left. When they left I was tired so I went to bed, I was only in bed about 10 minutes when I heard a bang on the front door. I didn't go and check though. At first I thought it was my son back already with Shadow, but I hadn't heard his car alarm, I listened for a little while and hadn't heard anything more so I didn't worry about it, I thought it was probably just a possum (we have those in the yard some times). I dozed off to sleep. About 15-20 minutes later my son is waking me up, Shadow is next to him, he said Shadow ran off. Huh!!! She is with him. He said he had to go back to the park, some one was helping him look for her, and he left. What the heck is he talking about? Shadow is now puffing and panting up and down my hallway. When he finally gets back home, he tells me; they were at the park walking around and some dogs were approaching from the distance, he didn't think anything of it. The dogs owners were there and the dogs seamed friendly. Shadow ran ahead to play with them. All the dogs were chasing each other a little bit away from him, and getting further and further away. Shadow gets nervous at night time, he forgot this. My son called out to Shadow but because it was dark he now couldn't see her. He started whistling and calling, he was panicking now. He got to the edge of the park and hadn't spotted her any where. There was a man across the street at one of the houses and he asked my son if he was looking for a shepherd. Yes!!!! By this stage my 20 year old son is almost crying. The man said a shepherd came racing out of the park, ran to the footpath all the way to the corner, stopped, appeared to look in either direction then crossed the road and headed left down the street. He said she was moving faster than any dog he had ever seen, but she was clever enough to use the path and stop briefly at the corner before crossing the road. He said he didn't even have time to reach down and pick up the leash which was at his feet, and she was already gone. The man said he would keep looking out for her and my son ran back to his car to try and track her down. The way she'd ran was the way home, however if she didn't do a left turn further down the road and kept going, she would have hit a main road. My son was terrified. He drove home, windows down screaming out to her the whole way home. He got home and there she was, sitting on the front porch with a big grin on her face.
When my son told me what happened I realized the bang on the door was her, she'd been sitting there by herself for a good 20 minutes perhaps. I think whats happened is because it was dark and she is nervous in the dark, she has ahead of my son to play with the other dogs. Gotten disorientated, headed to the side of the park where my son parks his car 70% of the time, found there was no car there and thought he must of left without her. Even if she had heard him calling, because the park is huge it would have been hard for her to pick up what direction it was coming from, being so dark as well she probably couldn't see him. she may even have been out of the park before my son realized she wasn't with the other dogs still. He could just make out the other dogs because one was a yellow lab.
Needless to say- good girl Shadow for finding her way home. Naughty girl Shadow for leaving dad at the park. Naughty boy older son for letting her out of sight, it will NEVER happen again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Crowned Member

wow! thats intense. Thats good she found her way home and obviously knocked on the door, didnt get an answer so waited for someone to come home. thats very good. bad son though. Couldnt find the blinker.... shouldnt have gone without it! and i'll bet he never switches his parking area again!

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

I don't think he will ever be taking her out at night again unless she is leashed at all times. He will also be doing alot more walking to make sure if for any un for seen reason she gets away from him/us again she knows the safest way home, as she did last night. The park is about 1 and a half - 2 km's away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Crowned Member

Thank goodness she found her way home! Your poor son, I know what he's going through! I lost my dog Chief a few times. He liked to run off every once in a while, and we live about a hundred feet from a main road.

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 06:43 PM
Elite Member

I love happy endings! I can only imagine how your son felt - I bet he was SO happy to see Shadow. Smart girl!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 07:13 PM
Knighted Member

Zoe did this to DH once across 4 lanes of traffic,lol Thank God she is home, safe, and sound. Zoe would never do this to me, but doesn't like leaving me when others try to walk her....she's a big baby too
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 09:35 PM
vat
Knighted Member

How scary, I was almost in a panic reading your story lol! Good girl for finding her way home.

Valerie

Shewana's Maximum Velocity (aka Max)
Shewana's Hot-Spice (aka Callan)

Kaycee 11/97-5/10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rio 10/08-2/10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 09:46 PM
Banned

i'm glad Shadow came home. Naughty you for not going over the rules
regarding Shadow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow's mum View Post
Needless to say- good girl Shadow for finding her way home. Naughty girl Shadow for leaving dad at the park. Naughty boy older son for letting her out of sight, it will NEVER happen again.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Master Member

Dogs are pretty good like that. Our working kelpies in Australia have always traveled long distances between our farms. My brother's is about 5km up the road from my parents and the dogs from each farm always go "visiting". The phone usually rings and its whoever has the dogs " yeah......jedda/jindi/scout etc etc is up here in case you are wondering !" A simple "go home" and off they go back down the road. Whats more worrying was my brother's kelpie used to take off from job sites ( he is a builder ) in Sydney and show up back at his home many many suburbs away. This would involve crossing gnarly intersections and roads etc. Frightening.

GSD Karma (f) born 29.5.2010 passed 22.12.11
GSD Jirra (f) born 27.12.11

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the well wish's guys/girls. This isn't my first dog to ever run home, but it was Shadows first bolt, so was very scary but good to know she can do it, and do it safely(from the park any way).

Doggiedad- regarding naughty me. Shadow is actually my older son's dog (he's 20) we say she is ours, because she lives as part of our family. Older son does all the training, walking, feeding, grooming etc. Shadow knows he is Dad. She knows she has to listen to dad, however she seams to realize that dad has to listen to me. I did nothing wrong. My son made an error he knows that but it could have happened to anyone, it happened so quickly. Ooops no wouldn't have happened to you or your dogs because they never do anything wrong and you know every thing. (sorry I sound peeved I am), it's very rare that I read any real positive feed back from you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page