Socialize, Socialize, Socialize!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Socialize, Socialize, Socialize!!!

I just wanted to remind everyone about how important it is to socialize your puppy at a young age. Introduce him to other dogs, big and small. Introduce him to people, kids (older than 4) and adults.

Some of the things I did were:

I drove around alot with him in the car, so that he was used to it, incase we went on a roadtrip.

I brought him around all of my friends dogs (once he had his shots), big and small, so he is not rude to little dogs

I brought him to the hospital I work at so he could meet people and I brought him to my mom's beauty salon at least once a week

I brought him to the dog park so he could meet other dogs and see how they play and interact

Please socialize your puppy, that way when they get older you can take your dog to more places and he can play with other dogs

My friend has a Doberman that she never socialized and it absolutely hates other dogs, it has tried numerous times to jump the fence and get the dog next door. Her dog also hates people, she has to be caged when they come over.

Socialize, Socialize, Socialize

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Master Member

And don't stop after your pup has grown--socializing should be a regular event. Your dog needs the stimulation and interaction as much as any social creature.

Maximus, Long Coat German Shepherd Dog
Tora, Mixed Breed
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 10:18 AM

I did some of those too except for the dog parks. I rarely touch it because i don't want Josie to have any bad experiences. All of her experiences have been a good one and i get very choosy about the dogs she meets. I don't expect her to be friends with every dog out there, but at least tolerate them if she sees them in public

At my training area they have a playground for dogs, almost like a dog park but it's for well behaved dogs only, the trainers actually have papers for you to fill out, if they find out your dog is aggressive they kick both you and the dog out. She goes there pretty regularly. Sometimes i'll drop her off while i am out doing errands. There is supervision there so it's not like the dogs are left un-attended. She's been doing this since she had most of her shots ( about 12 weeks).

She also has been going to tractor's supply since she was 8 weeks old, we walk through the wal-mart parking lot pretty regularly, sometimes we'll sit at the bench and some of the wal-mart employees will come out on their breaks which ends up a great socialization opportunity. Sometimes we'll sit and watch the world go by. We'll do the same thing at home depot, we go to Pet expo,and different pet stores. I have a friend that works at the humane society, i'll swing by with her so she can be socialized some with people. We are planning on going to the Humane society walk for animals on May 1st.

My friends have busy lives so it's hard to invite them over, it's rare that they do. But she gets to see some of the neighbors if they are out. So she is used to seeing some people walking onto our property if they want to chat with me or my husband for a few minutes. We go to family member's houses.

Hubby has taken her to work pretty often when she was small. Puppy imprinting really pays off.

Last edited by Josiebear; 04-22-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page