Koch had the best puppy day ever - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Koch had the best puppy day ever

We went up to the Parents & Grandparents to visit for Xmas today (yeah late). Took almost 9 week Koch with us as couldn't quite leave her at home! Packed our baby in the car and she slept like a LOG on the 1.5hr trip.

Got to my grandmothers, my mother owns a nursing home and my grandmother occupies half of it (big building divided in two). Well, it has a 10 acre yard. We ran around with Koch before going in. Just running in big long circles. I've never seen a happier puppy! After being stuck inside and getting almost no exercise due to her vaccines, this was the best treat ever! Tongue flapping around, running after me on the 20' leash. DOGGIE HEAVEN!

We go inside and see my grandmother. My great aunt is there and so is my "White Trash" Aunt (every family has to have em, right?). Grandmother has two dogs. One I know is totally fine health wise, the other should be alright so I figured it was ok. Koch did quite well. Said hello to the two dogs. The older is a 10yo Yellow Lab, the other a 4yo Rottie/Lab? mix. The Yellow had little interest in Koch, Koch would try to play and he would growl at her a little. But, Koch would persist and taunt her lol. The Rottie mix was intimidated by the "Monster" 17lb Koch! Koch would taunt and the mix would hide a bit. I don't know if it was a socialization problem the dog had, I doubt it. My WT Aunt asks why I have her leashed all the time to let her off and run wild, and then tells me how her dogs would chew everything in the house and still have accidents Yeah, I wonder why I have her leashed to me!

After an hour we packup and head to my fathers. Once we get there his 1.5yo chocolate lab is FLIPPING out. Sad to say, my dad didn't properly socialize his lab. The dog is going insane. We bring Koch in and this dog is visibly going crazy. Koch, unphased at all goes up and tries to greet her. Barely can because the lab is barking, growling, pulling away, trying to get away from Koch. This 70lb lab is scared to death of 17lb Koch. Scared to DEATH! The Lab was able to get Koch barking at her. Koch would crank out those little puppy barks and try to act all big and bad. The Lab would backup and try to retreat and Koch would just keep following her. She wasn't scared at all! I've never seen a dog flip out like this at the site of a small puppy. The Lab was just mortified by Koch and Koch kept persisting to chase her

After 3 hours of playing, Koch was finally starting to crash. the Lab would come up and try to sniff her and Koch would popup ready to play, and the lab would freak out again and run away. lol.

We then got to the family farm to see my other set of grandparents and have dinner with my cousins. I walked Koch to meet some cows, she got to meet both calves and dairy cows, she got close enough to sniff a full grown cows nose (I was holding her). She got to meet one of our farm Yellow Labs and played for a few seconds with him. They got along great. the Lab plays with a few other labs on the farm (we have a wondering drove of yellow labs) so it is quick acclimated to other dogs. Koch enjoyed that. She wasn't as playful since she was running on empty. We then went running around my grandfathers yard and boy was THAT FUN! Talk about puppy heaven! this girl LOVES exercise and I can't wait to do it with her. She got to meet my cousins little 4yo son and he totally wants a pup now.

We then took her inside to meet everyone and she loved it. She met about 15 new people today and 4 dogs, a success I say! we are up to about 30-40 people in just the first week so we are cruising along her socialization schedule.

I am proud of how she did with the other dogs. I was impressed with her nerves and ability to meet and socialize with other dogs, even if they didn't participate because they were scared! She played for 4.5 hours straight, she has been ZONKED since. She slept for an hour or so at my grandparents while we ate, but her normal schedule is play at home for 30 minutes then sleep for 1.5 hours, so I think someone might sleep through the night!

Java Haus Juris, CGC - 6/2/2012
Kessey "Koch" Von der Sauk - 10/26/2008 - 04/23/2011 - Pronounced "Coke"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 12:00 AM
Knighted Member

Re: Koch had the best puppy day ever

Sounds like you guys had a great day and Koch got some great exposure and socialization experiences.

You should add a post to this thread The Puppy challenge
Sounds like you guys did a lot-hit at least 6 of the 8 challenges in one adventure!

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page