How did you get started in Conformation - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

How did you get started in Conformation

And how did you choose your breed?

I've always loved dog shows and dreamed of being in the ring at one time in my life. But in reality I have no idea where to start! Lol.

Right now I'm focusing on sports but in the future I would like to start showing.

Basically I'm just looking for suggestions/stories on how you got started, what interested you to start and how did you choose the breed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The most powerful feeling is the knowing you belong, and you are right were you should be
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 07:23 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to mkennels Send a message via Yahoo to mkennels
Re: How did you get started in Conformation

It isn't hard, get you a good dog and for me I just went for it, no classes as there isn't any around I just watched the shows and I started out with a siberian husky then went to shepherds (which is hard to show) I have only won in UKC but someday will hopefully win in akc, we love big breeds and we had a shepherd/husky mix for 15 yrs and we wanted to get each and that is how it all started, got those breeds and then things just progressed.

Janet
UKC CH Mystical Talyn D'Argo, TT, OFA H/E, CERF, AKC DNA
UKC CH Gretchen Julika Little Star, TT, OFA, Cerf, AKC DNA
Von Hornberger's Mystical Knight, TT, CERF, AKC DNA, OFA
Ranita's Heavenly Angel R.I.P 9/15/07-10/15/08

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 07:24 PM

well I showed Dodge (my gsd) for a time, I hadn't bought him to show in conformation, but I had a few people tell me I should try it, so I said what the heck,,took conformation classes(which I highly recommend, even if your NOT showing in conformation, it's a good socialization class and something new to learn with your dog))

Anyhow, I did loads of matches, where he always placed in Group. Then moved into the conformation ring,,well not ME at that time, I was to nervous! and he wouldn't gait for me he was to well mannered LOL...I had a handler,,he was always a 'best man' and never a "groom" LOL..as in he took RWD every single time we showed, after he hit 2yrs old, I said,,ahhhh this boy is being neutered LOL..so we did and he ended his short little career )

It was a great learning experience and a real eye opener as to the goings on in the conformation ring..I have shown my aussie a couple of times in asca shows, as you can show spayed females in a special class, but I concentrate on other sports now a days..

So I didn't really 'pick' a breed to show, I just ended up showing what I had..)
diane

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 08:55 AM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

I grew up showing German Shepherds. The rule was, I had to be taller than the dog I was showing so that i could still see the judge. Our club had a juniors program where we learn how to care for, groom, and show our dogs -- we even put on our own matches!

Here is a photo of me when I was about 10 years old, shiowing our Troll v Richterbach granddaughter.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Crowned Member

We did AKC conformation to learn the ring and handling, to have fun, learn and understand both rings (akc and sv). We had a gentleman instructior/handler that liked both rings and wanted people to train and handle their own dogs as much as possible.

Friend of the family was also one of the earlier judges, then he moved over to the SV arena.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Are there any books I can use as a reference to get started? I'm going to the library to start the long long process of finding my breed. lol.

The most powerful feeling is the knowing you belong, and you are right were you should be
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page