I am new to showing and need some tips, help - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

I am new to showing and need some tips, help

I'm really new to showing gsd. Showing period. I am not new to gsd. i've had them all my life and been around them since i was first born. I've always wanted to show my gsd. But she is a nevous reck out of the house and her cnformation is horrible. I finally have a gsd who is good show quality. Her dad has a sch. 3 and a vd or dv(??). Any tips for me? Cause i could use some help. Any opinions, warnings or tips. What are the basics, rules and such. she is akc registered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Re: I am new to showing and need some tips, help

pllllease
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 02:56 AM
Crowned Member

i did the dog show gig for a long time when i was younger and wound up wondering why anyone would want to spend money on someone else's opinion of their dog. unless you can afford to hire a professional handler you are going to spend lots of money for a few ribbons and they most probably won't be blue. my opinion here (and it is jmho), is love your dogs and don't bother getting into the world of dog shows. too expensive and too political. again, JMHO.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Master Member

I do not have imports but do show AKC conformation. I am very active in the breed and am more then glad to help you along if you are interested in conformation shows. I am not sure where you are located but go to http://www.infodog.com and you can look up where there are shows taking place in your state. Go to the shows check out what is going on, watch listen and learn. Join the GSDCA(www.gsdca.org) and along with your membership you will get the review a monthly GSD magazine with alot of great info. Find a local breeder in your area willing to mentor a new person along. You should find handling classes in your area and attend them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Master Member

Send a message via Yahoo to denwil2007

Yes, if you want to, try it. It's like any other hobby people spend money on. So folks go out drinking every Thurs and spend $50. I go to a show every few months and spend $50, and am sober enough to remember the event. I also meet friends there.

If you have an import though, I would go with UKC events, and not AKC, unless you dog looks and moves enough like american bred dogs to make it enjoyable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

for show and performance
Sabian's Hot Pursuit v Southwind CGC --Chase
Bleibtreu's Ransom of Coda CGC --Chopper
T-Ho's BoclayBee-lieve in Me of Sabian-Cheetah
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

she is not an import, however both her parents are.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Master Member

Send a message via Yahoo to denwil2007

That still makes her more like an import than an american showline dog. Most of the time there is a distinct difference in body type and sometimes temperment. I have seen very few who would dog well in an AKC ring, but several who do just fine in UKC shows.

Of course, you'll never know, unless you go

for show and performance
Sabian's Hot Pursuit v Southwind CGC --Chase
Bleibtreu's Ransom of Coda CGC --Chopper
T-Ho's BoclayBee-lieve in Me of Sabian-Cheetah
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Crowned Member

Do you have a photo of her? It really sounds like you'll have better luck in UKC and the SV-style ring. The AKC ring might really bum you out if you have a dog like most German showlines.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DianaMDo you have a photo of her? It really sounds like you'll have better luck in UKC and the SV-style ring. The AKC ring might really bum you out if you have a dog like most German showlines.
why would it I not do so well in the akc? Just wondering. Yeah she is pretty highly breed, her dad does have some significant titles. What is the difference with UKC and AKC? she already is kinda naturally stacking. i posted a pic of her in another post in showing(conformation) titled showing wini here it is again(i hope it works, click on the link):
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...n/winni240.jpg
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Crowned Member

I would do UKC. For starters, no professional handlers, so the atmosphere is more conducive to owners showing their pets rather than experienced pro handlers showing show dogs. If the parents are German show lines, then you could do the SV-style conformation as well, like WDA. I plan to start my puppy in WDA b/c they can start showing at 3 months and possibly do UKC if I can train him for the ring.

You will want to enter a conformation class so you can get input on how to properly stack the dog, train the dog to stack without being restless or getting nervous (b/c the judge will look at the teeth and pet all over the dog, in UKC if the dog makes it to Best In Show, three judges examine the dog so it has to stand there for several minutes). They will show you how to properly gait the dog, and get the dog used to being in a ring with other dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page