all breed vs specialty show? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

all breed vs specialty show?

Hi, as a new person to the breed I attended the Can specialty and enjoyed it but thought the dogs very different than the usual show dogs. I have been told my pup will be an all breed dog not a specialty dog. Can some of you explain why there is a split, I thought there was a split in working lines, American show lines and German show lines and now this I am confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 03:07 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to mkennels Send a message via Yahoo to mkennels
Re: all breed vs specialty show?

some have more reach when gaiting which is wanted in speciality and fine for all breed by what I am told the dog needs to move (they have a bigger area to gait around then the all breed and they want to see the reach and follow through) plus I just learned a speciality stack which is more stretched than is for all breed (I didn't know there was a difference) I believe the speciality is more extreme dogs than in all breed but again this is what I have gathered

Janet
UKC CH Mystical Talyn D'Argo, TT, OFA H/E, CERF, AKC DNA
UKC CH Gretchen Julika Little Star, TT, OFA, Cerf, AKC DNA
Von Hornberger's Mystical Knight, TT, CERF, AKC DNA, OFA
Ranita's Heavenly Angel R.I.P 9/15/07-10/15/08

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 07:52 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

The specialty dogs tend to have a more extreme sidegait. This is possible because of the large rings which give these dogs a venue in which their tremendous reach in front and drive in rear can be used and seen.

The all-breed dogs tend to be more moderate, and therefore (in my humble opinion), more correct. The smaller rings at all-breed shows tend to favor a more agile dog capable of handling tigher turns and often slick footing.

There is nothing wrong with having an all-breed dog. I prefer them -- there are more all-breed shows in my area, so more chances to win! Also, the smaller rings allowed me to show my own dogs for many years.

If I remember you correctly, you have a very nice young male that you will have lots of fun showing. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. But you always take home the best dog!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 11:56 PM
Crowned Member

What a great way to put that Daphne!!! I ALWAYS have the BEST dog!!!!!!

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks for all the answers. I was not disappointed being told I have an all breed dog since I also want an all purpose dog, who I can do agility, obedience and try sheep with. It was more confusion when the all bred top dog was given a trophy adn I was told he wouldn't win here, at the specialty. Also having attended Belgian Terv, adn sheepdog specialties in the past, the same dog would win at both venues and the judging is pretty similar. Here teh double handling adn the judge only touching the dog for teeth adn testicles and just watching movement. So I was confused but I did enjoy it and met some great people all quite willing to answer any questions and offer any suggestions. And my dog was not put down and all loved his temperment and calmness.

And yes I did take home the best dog, always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page