What shampoo do you use on your GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

What shampoo do you use on your GSD?

I wasn't sure if this was the right forum or not but I didnt remember seeing a grooming forum.

Anyhow, what shampoo do you use for your dog that doesnt dry the skin out and about how often to you use it? I like the deshedding stuff made by the same company that makes the furminator but wasnt sure if there was something else to try.

Also, any shampoo to suggest for making the white GSD's coat really stand out? I recently adopted one and he's been pretty much left outside his whole life so his coat is in pretty bad shape and stained from the sand/mud outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Master Member

Send a message via Yahoo to javaluuver
Re: What shampoo do you use on your GSD?

I use a shampoo that i get at work - and i bathe them there thankfully in the big tub! On Zeke I use an Aloe & Oatmeal shampoo cuz lately he has itchy skin - and give them Fish Oil capsules (when I remember) ... Obi's skin is fine, so I use whatever they have in the automatic thing - he smells purty when he's done, but he hates baths (and worse yet, the big bad blowdryer) .. I have to sedate him a little just to give him a bath LoL

<span style="color: purple">~*Jo*!~</span>
Owned and loved by Zeke n' Obi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<span style="color: blue">Yes I work at a Vets .. but that doesn't mean I *am* a vet!</span>
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Master Member

I use 8in1 Perfect Coat Black Pearl shampoo and conditioner. They make a "white dog" version but I have not tried it on my white Bull Terrier. It's inexpensive, made specifically for black dogs and leaves her looking like someone just put a new coat of glossy black paint on her. I only bathe her when she's been in heavy grime, dirt or in bad water lakes which is two or three times a year. Any skin problems I have had with her I seem to have fixed with food ingredients. I think shampoos are pretty much a temporary fix for coats.

Inga Vom Holtzberg-Black GSD
Chaco-White Bull Terrier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Okay thanks! I feed Solid Gold barking at the moon i think it's called from petco. I don't want to get on a tangent but i was told it was a good quality food. Her skin kept having irritation when she was on Royal Canin so a friend of mine suggested it.

I've just heard that bathing too often can do more harm then good.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Master Member

Solid Gold is a good food. My dog didn't do well on it but every dog is different. Climate, environment, many things make a difference in a dogs coat. Some people bathe their dogs once a month and I think that's too much but they seem to have very healthy dogs with good coats. Others never bathe their dogs and get the same results. There must be a middle ground somewhere.

Inga Vom Holtzberg-Black GSD
Chaco-White Bull Terrier
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 09:51 PM

I love "Every Day Shampoo and Conditioner" from this site:
http://www.chrissystems.com/index.html
It is concentrated and smells great.... We don't bathe Radar often but when we do his fur is super soft and shiney! I also got "Black on Black" but I have not tried it yet! I used to have a dog that got mats and their products and brushes were wonderful for him.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Crowned Member

http://www.chrissystems.com/

I buy shampoos and conditioners from this site that specializes in grooming supplies for show dogs. Great stuff, if a little expensive.

They have one made especially for white fur. I've used it on the white parts of my corgi.

Tracy
St. Louis, MO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Luca says, "Arf!"
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Crowned Member

I only use all natural shampoos. I only bathe my dogs one to three times a year. I like to use an oatmeal based shampoo. Earthbath makes some good ones for various conditions: http://www.earthbath.com/shampoo_pints.html

And since I don't use flea and tick stuff I bathe them with the Ark Naturals Need Protect Shampoo in the summer.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 10:57 AM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

I like the Bio-Groom shampoos and conditioners for my dogs. They are biodegradable and rinse out really well. During dog show season my dogs get a bath every week, so I do use a conditioner then to make sure I don't dry out the skin. I use the Ultra Black for dog shows with the Silk conditioner, and Groom N Fresh for the off season (they don't get bathed much in the off-season, but, sometimes, they do need one). I also like their rinseless shampoo for spot cleaning on occasion.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 11:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shalimar Send a message via Yahoo to Shalimar

I've used Black on Black liked it only so so. Also tried various pet store brand shampoos. I keep coming back to Exhibitor Labs Quic Color (Quic Black for mostly black dogs). They don't lather a lot, but still get the dog clean. Also they rinse easily, a big plus in my book. I follow with Quic Condition then the Quic Sheen while blowing and brushing out. Yes I'm an addict and use almost the whole line.

Coats comes out awesome and even while blowing coat they stay slick and shiny looking.

Sarah
--------------------
Waiting at the bridge -
James aka Bubbadog, GSD 7/1/05 - 12/9/07
Sydney, ACD 1996 - 10/31/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page