AKC Puppy Matches? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

AKC Puppy Matches?

How much is expected from a puppy in the 4-6 month-old class at a B Match? What is expected as far as gaiting and stacking? Overall, what are matches like and how are they for beginners?

Thanks!

Sandy

RATCHX2 SG Wisp von Schneiden Fels BH NW1 RA OAP OAJ SWN CZ8B CAA CGCA TKN TC HIC
SG Chase vom Mittelwest II BH
SG Flame von Nummer-Eins CA TKN HIC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Master Member

Re: AKC Puppy Matches?

I have only entered 2 matches. I was a beginner with a 2 yr old, not very ring trained, dog.

I found them a learning experience and practice for my dog aswell. Very laid back, no pressure atmosphere. Overall it was alot of fun and I would do it again, just to keep getting experience handling and letting my dog have fun in the ring.

Have fun and good luck! Its fun to watch the puppies act goofy!

Melissa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 04:50 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Re: AKC Puppy Matches?

A puppy that age is expected not to shy when approached. It is OK for them to wiggle, sit, lie down, give kisses, bite on the leash, etc. It is helpful if the puppy can be encouraged to gait for several steps in a row, but not required. It depends on if you want to win or just have a good time. For me puppy matches are about having a good time in the ring. You can put the screws to them later when they have gorwn up a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 04:27 PM

next week

My Puppy and I will be entering our first AKC puppy show next week. I hope we do well, but she is a very hyper puppy so i think it will be entertaining to see how she behaves around the other puppies.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 04:54 PM

Good luck and have fun!!

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 04:47 PM

I think you will have a lot of fun. I haven't been to an actual match but I have entered the AKC 4-6 month puppy show, which is essential a puppy match. If the match was anything like that you will have a lot of fun. Judges were very nice, helpful and of course understanding of puppies. My observation was that the puppies that were closer to 6 month were pretty decently trained while the younger 4 month puppies were there just for fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page