UKC or AKC? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

UKC or AKC?

For someone who is completely new to Conformation, which Kennel Club will be most new handler friendly? I hear UKC is the most owner-handler friendly...just want to check with you seasoned pros.

Also, if someone gets the time, would you mind looking over Willow in the Critique section of the board and tell me how you think she would do in UKC (assuming that the above is correct)?

I want us to just go have fun, but it'd be nice if we had a shot at winning! LOL

Thanks.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Angela

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 02:31 PM

Re: UKC or AKC?

UKC conformation shows do not allow pro handlers - and yes, from all accounts they are more laid back and fun. There is minimal grooming allowed, as it seems the purpose is to judge the dog, not the handler or the groomer. You should still do a nice presentation of your dog, however. I would recommend UKC as not only a place to start, but a nice registry overall. There is alot to do within UKC.

I'll look at the pictures you posted - but I'd say enter, have fun, and enjoy your dog!

Christine

Monster Dog Equipment

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vesta German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rock River Dog Sport Club, UKC

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Master Member

I agree. Its hard to handle your own Shepherd in AKC and get anywhere, especially if you are new to conformation in general.
Some people can do it and do it well, but it comes with alot of politics and whos who, like everything else.
Although, I have met some super nice, friendly and helpful people in AKC. It helps to have a really nice dog, then you can get "accepted" easier. IMO.

Melissa

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 03:21 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I've heard that when you start you puppy, and at the lower levels, owner handled dogs (with some handler tips and classes prior to the trial) can do well in AKC.

It's when the dog gets older and it's more competitive that the professional handler helps. Their additional knowledge of what dogs live where (the competition!) and what type of dog a certain judge prefers can make a big difference.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: MaggieRoseLeejudge prefers .
Is'nt that sad... the standard kinda gos out the window if the judge dosnt like the coat color or the dogs type.........

Some Sables have a tough time, and that is a dominent gene, meaning it should show up more had it not been bred out....

Melissa

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: AngelaMOFor someone who is completely new to Conformation, which Kennel Club will be most new handler friendly? I hear UKC is the most owner-handler friendly...just want to check with you seasoned pros.
I am NOT a "seasoned pro" but I found that the UKC shows are very owner/handler oriented (no pro handlers). The shows are relaxed, the people are usually willing to help a newcomer, answer questions, etc. When I was showing Slider, complete strangers took him in the ring for me and he did well regardless of who was holding the lead.

AKC conformation titles mean more to most people, but if that doesn't upset you, I highly recommend that you show with UKC.

And as an extra bonus, at UKC shows you see breeds of dogs not found in AKC sanctioned shows - in some ways UKC shows are very similar to rare breed shows like ARBA.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 04:52 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Quote:
Quote:Is'nt that sad... the standard kinda gos out the window if the judge dosnt like the coat color or the dogs type.........

Some Sables have a tough time, and that is a dominent gene, meaning it should show up more had it not been bred out....
Judges are people first. And each person has their own interpretation of the standard. And personal preferences. And
often dogs are not places for some reason other than the obvious.

I was judging a match and in walked this beautiful sable bitch. I was in LOVE! That is, until she started to gait around the ring. She had a dip in her back. So I put up a different dog. And the handler came out of the ring muttering about the stupid judge that didn't like sables! I stopped him before he got too far away and explained to him that I likes sables, and that his bitch was very nice, except for the dip in her back -- and I am very picky on backs because of my working dog background. Her loss had nothing to do with her coat color.

That said, there are those judges, especially in the all-breed ring, that prefer a German Shepherd Dog to be black and tan. It is your job to know who they are.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Master Member

I have always been told, if you dont like/ understand the judges decision, if you see their not busy, ask them about the decision. Sometimes it's completely different than you think.

I have had 1 class that I thought our not being placed was coat color... and we have been beat by ALOT of black and tans. I noticed that the judge never once looked at Camo in the line up or while they were going around the ring. I did not ask b/c I was having a pissy moment LOL!

Melissa

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 09:57 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to mkennels Send a message via Yahoo to mkennels

ukc shows is the way to start out first to see if you like handling and once you get good and want to try akc then go for it but at small shows first, the bigger the show the more politics there is in akc. I do both and I owner/handle mine right now i do more ukc than akc but still do both every year. the main thing is if you don't have fun then don't do it, you have to enjoy it plus if conformation isn't the way to go ukc does other things as well

Janet
UKC CH Mystical Talyn D'Argo, TT, OFA H/E, CERF, AKC DNA
UKC CH Gretchen Julika Little Star, TT, OFA, Cerf, AKC DNA
Von Hornberger's Mystical Knight, TT, CERF, AKC DNA, OFA
Ranita's Heavenly Angel R.I.P 9/15/07-10/15/08

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Master Member

I would definitely start out UKC, AKC is harsh world for GSD!! Fun, but harsh!! LOL

Kris K

Home of Hollow Hills' Leucadia "Leuka"
and Conlee's End Of Summer v Kamelot "Koko"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page