Handling - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
Handling

I've got people asking me what I charge for handling dogs now...and I've no idea what I should be telling them.

Because of this I basically tell them that money to cover a tank of gas or just lunch is fine by me (and it truly is). What SHOULD I be telling them? I've taken in everything from class dogs to specials, and I've got people at my club actively seeking me out to handle now. I even picked up a 6 year old GSD (quite nice I think), but generally I am just happy to have dogs to show and handle since my own GSD isn't showable.

Any suggestions?

Jackie and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 07:33 AM
Master Member

Re: Handling

You can come to PA and handle for me Honestly I know some handlers that charge $35.00 per class + expenses, and their are some that charge $100-$150 per class plus expenses. It's really up to what you feel comfortable charging.

Kris K

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home of Hollow Hills' Leucadia "Leuka"
and Conlee's End Of Summer v Kamelot "Koko"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 08:50 AM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Most up-and-coming handlers charge $25 per class, and only charge expenses if they take the dog to the show. Get 3-4 dogs per day, and your expenses are taken care of. Finish your first dog and give yourself a raise later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:and I've got people at my club actively seeking me out to handle now.
I'm obviously not a show person but if the above is true, you're definitely doing something right. Great progress you've made, I'm very happy for you! *hi5* Daphne's advice makes a lot of sense- you have to earn yourself that raise and what better way than handling a dog from 0 to Ch!

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph

Yeah, I'm truly not worried about making the "big bucks" right now. And when I say charge for gas, it's basically the cost of the handling fee (about 25-30 dollars) because I've only been traveling to local shows, and I drive a dinky little Toyota Corolla that gets great mileage.

I've never had to transport a dog because I'm local, and I pick up ringside, or I'm showing my own dog in a performance event and I pick up ringside.

I do just "handle for free" and people have started insisting on giving me money (which is way cool, but I'm just so happy to be in the ring, I decline initially). Now I just say "thank you" and I'm happy with whatever they give me.

The two women who have given me an opportunity to really start showing I don't charge or require anything from, but they often buy me lunch at the show and give me $20-30 for handling. I do have quite the array of clientele lining up now and I'm on an:

Open Bernese Bitch
Open Sheltie Dog
Open Vizsla Bitch
Open/Am-Bred GSD

I may also be showing a couple of Smooth Collies, a Golden Retriever, a Brussells Griffon, and a Dalmatian (all of these dogs are down in Texas, as I'm trying to make the DFW shows).

Jackie and the
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Master Member

My friend handles for me and charges btwn 25-45 a class...i think?? (been a cuople months) anyway, I think its nice to "tip" or buy her something cool if we do really good. and I always send her the 2nd copy of the show photo when one is taken..

Melissa

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page