Tooth Question (SV, AKC, UKC, CKC) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Tooth Question (SV, AKC, UKC, CKC)

Is it possible to show a dog missing a canine? What type of documentation would you need (if at all) from a vet? The tooth was broken and was removed. Do they get dinged (assuming all else is equal/comparable) just because a tooth was removed? I can understand if the tooth wasnt there or there was no documentation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 12:07 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Tooth Question (SV, AKC, UKC, CKC)

AKC standard "Teeth --42 in number--20 upper and 22 lower--are strongly developed and meet in a scissors bite in which part of the inner surface of the upper incisors meet and engage part of the outer surface of the lower incisors. An overshot jaw or a level bite is undesirable. An undershot jaw is a disqualifying fault. Complete dentition is to be preferred. Any missing teeth other than first premolars is a serious fault."

Sounds like you can show them AKC, but it's a fault.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

I thought I had read somewhere a long time ago about needing the vet records if a tooth was lost in training/accident to prove that it was indeed there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah that would make sense. Loosing a tooth in an accident or whatever is different than never having one. A lost tooth doesn't really affect the dog's genes.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

For SV style shows you need to have a dental notation form filled out, and supporting paperwork to show that the tooth was removed. I'm really not sure of the entire process because I've never done it or had need to read up on it. There's more info on the USA website about it. But I know that once that is done you're covered and the dog won't get dinged for the missing tooth.

I have no idea about AKC...

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Master Member

I show in AKC and my dog is missing 1 tooth. I have had people tell me that 1 is ok, but more than that would be a fault. If we were to show under a "tooth fairy" judge, we might not be put up because of it. I feel like if the over all dog meets the standard, that one missing tooth really shouldnt make a difference. But it definently could.

Melissa

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 04:01 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

If you have documentation (letter from vet, etc), you should be OK with AKC. A friend of mine had a Terv that had lost a tooth in a fence fight. He went on the be one of the top winning Tervs. She kept a copy of the vet's letter in her tack box and would stick it in her pocket on her way to the ring. After a while the judges recognized the dog and quit asking about it.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page