Preparing first show - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Preparing first show

Itís official! Iíve mailed in my pre entry form and his collar and leash arrive sometime today. The show is two days but since it is both our first time out I opted to just do one of the days but two classes. Im getting nervous/excited and want to make sure Iím doing it right.

I bought a black small link Herm Sprenger fur saver and a 1/2 inch black leather lead. I wanted to find something thinner, but aside from sketchy no name no review makes couldnít find any. Iíve been watching lots of videos and notice some peopleís attire is very bright, I planned on wearing a grey dress with black leggings and flats. Is this too plain? I didnít want to distract from my dog, but nor do I want to be overlooked!

I planned on arriving extra early to help us both get a bearing of our surroundings and to settle in. He works so much nicer if he has the edge worn off and worked a little bit. I know many people crate but is it necessary? Mine is large at 48Ē, awkward and heavy to carry even a short distance. Id rather bring him around with me or have my mom hold him.

For grooming Iím giving him a bath the night before, then was going to spritz and comb ďoutĒ before our classes. Itís our first show, and UKC, so I couldnít justify buying a $200 blow dryer or a table. YET.

Iím bringing a cooler, a few camp chairs, grooming supplies, treats, poop bags, is there anything else I absolutely must bring?

We have been practicing but itís a little difficult to tell where exactly to put his paws when you canít see from the judges perspective. But we have some time still and heís been doing excellent, this is from just his second time allowing me to place him. Note: I am aware itís his right foot that needs to be drawn up underneath, and the left back while he is on my left. I did it both ways because I wasnít thinking. From what I can tell I am placing his foot slightly too far under him, also I have no idea why I have such a dumb look on my face please ignore lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0C544999-50F8-4620-A26C-70AEEC6C93E8.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	526645   Click image for larger version

Name:	82295D8A-D2D6-4AE3-BF3B-1A1E435AF306.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	526647  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 11:10 AM
Master Member

That's awesome & he looks great! Good luck and try to have some fun with the process
atomic likes this.

Rollo: Viking & 1st ruler of Normandy | D.O.B. | 11-27-2017
Chuck (me): |23 Years Old|
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thank you! Iíve always thought that he looked similar to your Rollo. Another thing I was wondering but does Rio look fat?? In person you can faintly see his ribs but his belly just doesnít have the same tuck as others.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B66E260F-FB46-46B7-82A5-82F802ABF935.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	526649  
readaboutdogs and tim_s_adams like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 08:04 PM
Elite Member

Handsome boy! Sounds like fun, good luck!
atomic likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 08:20 PM
Knighted Member

I can't offer dog advice, because I have zero knowledge. But have fun, he looks good to me, and like a good boy. I'd say break a leg but that's probably not really the right expression!
atomic likes this.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 10:27 PM

First rule is to have fun!

Basically wear any color that you want, that doesnít blend in with your dog. Your outfit sounds good.

You donít need a crate, especially if you have someone along to hold onto your dog if you need to go pee, or get something to eat.

You do need a chair! There are never enough chairs, and sometimes there are no chairs.

When I showed Sage, I would get to the site early so I could go outside and get some of her energy out. Iíd run her around in circles.

The bad news? It will all go by so fast, lol! But then you can relax and watch some other breeds, make some friends. You have a nice dog, win or lose.
Clare, atomic and tim_s_adams like this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thank you all for the kind words and support! @dogfaeries you are basically my mentor. I so appreciate you! We did some practice again today at the ball field, I think Iím doing slightly better with setting him up. Also a slightly less stupid expression on my part. Is his collar fine where it lays or should I make a conscious effort to have it up higher on his neck? This is all about fun and while I have aspirations to place, I love him no matter what and he could never disappoint. We do about ten minutes of practice daily, the rest is play. I always end on a good note and stop when I feel like he gets it. I donít want to drill to where itís a dreaded task.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5BF92B17-52D1-45CD-84BC-9F9816C38EF1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	526695   Click image for larger version

Name:	917694B9-70E9-4212-A8C1-29E2B8D09FFD.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	526697  
readaboutdogs and cvamoca like this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 11:53 PM

I love dog shows, so itís nice to be able to pass on some tips!

His collar is fine. Donít forget to pack a water bowl or bucket, and a lot of people bring water from home, for those dogs that may have sensitive tummies to strange water (mine donít).

I think you two will do just fine.
atomic and cvamoca like this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thank you for the encouragement! Iím still excited but starting to feel slightly less overwhelmed. Heís good about drinking other places but Iíll bring water too just in case. My mom is NOT the best photographer but Iím still looking forward to sharing some pics! Do they have professionals at these kind of events?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 12:30 PM
Knighted Member

Have fun! I don't have any advice, but just wanted to let you know I've been following your threads and I'm rooting for you. Can't wait to hear how it goes!
atomic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page