A couple questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

A couple questions

Hello all! I am entering my one year old male in UKC conformation beginning of November for the first time (for both of us). I had a few questions and I’m sorry if they are exasperatingly so lol

I was planning on buying a fursaver collar to compete in, but what color should I choose? I’ve seen stainless, Black and a copper color. Also what length lead and color for that as well?

I know the point of conformation is to judge potential breeding stock and evaluate individual dogs per the breed standard. That being said, does a well prepared (re: well behaved and trained) dog get a few extra points over another dog that might be slightly better physically but is lacking in preparation?

At the end of the show, does the judge release a score card of sorts for your dog, speak to you, or are you just left sort of wondering where you stand and what improvements you need to make? Or conversely, what you did that was good?

Nail length? I’m familiar with dobies and know they like theirs almost non existent.

I almost forgot, what should I wear?

Thank you in advance! I enclosed a photo of our first attempt at a stack. We have work to do but I am excited (and hopeful) for a successful first turn out .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B416E6DD-224D-4AF2-8EE1-9270EA7557D1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	523803  

Last edited by atomic; 07-30-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 06:35 PM
Crowned Member

I can't answer your question, but @dogfaeries might. My wife is attempting to show Remi this upcoming weekend (akc) for the first time ever. I'm trying to minimize my involvement, but have helped go through some practice reps of teeth checks and what not. Hope you get some answers and good luck with your show!
dogfaeries and atomic like this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:06 PM

Hey! I'm not well-versed in UKC, but I have had all three of my girls show once in that venue though, with Scarlet being the latest.

So, UKC has no grooming products on your dog, which is fine. Just have a clean, blown-out dog with his toenails appropriately short. Not Dobe short!

I use a silver colored fursaver, and a 6' thin (1/4") leather lead.

As for his ring behavior, you don't want your dog to shy away from the judge. You want the judge to be able to go over your dog, and able to check to see if all his teeth are there. He doesn't have to behave like he's done this this whole life, when you are first starting out, but he does need to be moderately well-behaved. Most judges are fairly friendly, and are pretty forgiving of puppy (or young dog) shenanigans. I don't pretend to know what goes on in some of the judges heads about why they pick who they pick, so I don't know what to tell you about presentation vs conformation. Your boy looks very nice. I don't know why he wouldn't do well.

No written critique, and you probably won't get any feedback in the ring. Where ever you are placed in the class, if you get a ribbon, thank the judge when they hand it to you. If you want to find out what they thought about your dog, you can find them when they aren't judging, and not busy, and ask them.

Just look presentable. I've seen pants, jeans, skirts. Shoes that you can jog around the ring in (though the rings I've seen in UKC are pretty small, so it's not going to be an all out gallop like in AKC)

I donít know if UKC allows the use of bait.
atomic likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Thank you so much! That was very helpful for me . I realized there was another show in September we may attend as well. Iím already getting excited!
dogfaeries likes this.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 10:42 AM

Do it! Make it fun for your dog, and have a good time win or lose. Itís just a dog show! There are always more around the corner. You never know how the show will go. I show in AKC, and Carly didnít win any points until she was almost 2. I showed her as a gangly adolescent for fun. My current dog didnít step into the ring until she was 14 months old, never had a conformation class or any training, and went Best of Breed first time out. You just never know, lol.
atomic likes this.

~ Diane ~

and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

I canít wait! Even if we donít place it will be a good experience, thereís nothing this dog could do to make me disappointed in him. He is such a sweet boy, he melts my heart. The one in September is three hours away, so it would be a weekend over night trip. Which Iím totally fine with, itís just convincing my SO... lol! I told him he could bring our boat and go fishing while weíre at the show so I think Iím on the right track
dogfaeries likes this.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 03:50 PM
Elite Member

Have fun, let us know how ti goes, and take lots of pics to share with us!
atomic likes this.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Thank you! I definitely will, Iím quite the shutterbug when it comes to the dogs
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 05:13 PM

Win or lose, we always take home the best dog. I believe that, even though I threatened to drop the whole lot of them off at the dog pound on the way home from a show one time. And replace them with a corgi.
Sabis mom and atomic like this.

~ Diane ~

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 07:17 PM
Elite Member

Good luck!! Sounds fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page