AKC or UKC? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

AKC or UKC?

I was advised to put my pups picture into the conformation thread to get some opinions on AKC or UKC. The first pic looks like she is being chocked but she isnt. Like my pedigree post i am looking for peoples thoughts on her as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181117_080321_1542459815026.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	514387   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6569_1542459733866.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	514389  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 12:33 PM
Elite Member

She is beautiful. I have heard that the UKC judges don't look for or reward exaggerated conformation the way other venues might, but I have no firsthand experience. She looks lovely to me. Try things and have fun with her!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 12:57 PM
Crowned Member

She is a beauty. I would say the same thing try things and have fun. The ukc dogs are more moderate in structure but also there are all breed shows in the akc which are more moderate. You will see a range from extreme to moderate structure in akc shows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 04:32 PM

Try UKC, and see if you and your dog enjoy showing. Go to conformation classes, so youíll know how to show, and your dog can get used to showing her bite and having a judges hands on her. Have fun!

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

No UKC classes near me that I can find, however next Jan 9th there is a UKC event close by.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 09:24 PM

You just need to find a local kennel club or a training facility that puts on conformation/handling classes. It doesnít have to be UKC or AKC. It makes no difference. Iíve shown in both, the actual showing is the same.
GypsyGhost likes this.

~ Diane ~

and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 05:29 AM

UKC or AKC

I am going to register my dog inboth. He is AKC now and I would like to do some kind of showing just for the experience/fun(I could buy a ribbon if it was about those) and meeting others. I hear the UKC is more laid back so that would be a great start for me. My only problem isthat he is so friendly. The judge won’t have a problem touching him orbeing bit but they should be afraid, very afraid of the dreaded- dum..dum..DUM-slobber licks
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

My issue would be the fact that Luna wouldn't look professional lol. She wouldn't stand, she would move around or sit lol.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 07:53 AM

Thatís why you find a handling class guys! Learn to stack and hold it, learn to have their bite checked, learn to have a stranger run their hands on them. Learn to move around the ring. The friendly thing works in your favor when youíre training. And if you have a puppy, the judges are pretty forgiving of puppy silliness.

~ Diane ~

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 08:09 AM

I one hundred percent agree with getting into a handling class! A local club may have one coming up or ongoing (I will be taking the Oriole Dog Training Club's handling class in Jan). My girl won't be getting her UKC CH before she is spayed, but I may try with my boy provided all his teeth come in alright (dad is missing a P3). If you CAN'T find a class nearby I know Fenzi Dog Sports Academy has an online self-study handling class. There are a few YouTube videos out there too that could be helpful. Only down side is you won't have another person's opinion on if it's correct or not.

UKC is very forgiving for puppies. I've had Katsu slightly break her stack (to my dismay) to greet the judge, ears back and tail wagging like a goof. We ended up BoB and Group 1 under that judge. I'm hoping the handling class will help me stack the puppy better and learn how to properly handle him (lol) in the ring. I just winged it with Katsu.

Most judges I met in UKC did not touch the dog's mouth, so if your girl is okay with you lifting her lips, just practice with someone leaning in to look. Make sure all her teeth are visible (you may have to move her tongue).

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SEN SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page