BIS Manhattan 1987 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

BIS Manhattan 1987

I had never seen Manhattan, who took Best in Show at Westminister in 1987, in anything other than still photos before.

Here he is being gaited to victory by Jimmy Moses!

I know he's not the perfect dog conformation-wise, but he sure was a handsome boy!

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...ow%20Manhattan

Maybe Carmen would like to comment on his strengths/weaknesses?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 10:50 AM
Crowned Member

I’m no expert but I really like him. I remember watching the Westminster show on tv- I was 14.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 11:31 AM
Crowned Member

not bad - not ideal --- movement is loose

but - what is very important to a GSD , who by the breeds very reason to be needs to have a grip -
necessary for control of sheep if needed and for bite work -- ?

this dog has a very poor , weak lower jaw ---

can't be all fixated on side movement

did he make any impact on the "specialty" crowd ? NO

Westminster is all-breed . Specialty crowd gives a fist pump because GSD are in the public eye
generating a brief increase in interest

Other than that it was a shrug.

Carmen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 08:46 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I saw Hatter in person. Super temperament, gorgeous dog, could have had a stronger head, but what stood out to me were his weak pasterns.

I also loved Mystique and was upset that she never won BIS at Westminster.
WateryTart likes this.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 08:51 AM

You asked for their expert opinion Sunsilver…..
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 09:10 AM

I loved Mystique too! I think she is still ranked the top winning show dog of all time. I like Hatter, but I agree about his pasterns.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Yes, pasterns and feet are weak (flat footed). And Carmen is right: he barely made a blip when it came to breeding. And of course, Mystique was infertile. Many people blamed Cheque drops, which were used to keep a female from coming into season when she's being campaigned for the show ring.

Many ASL dogs had/have weak heads. It is sometimes hard to tell the bitches from the dogs without checking the hind end! That's not the way things are supposed to be according to the breed standard.

My favourite ASL dog is Dallas (Kismet's Sight for Sore Eyes.) He actually got a herding degree, as well as being very successful in the show ring and at stud. He's the grandfather of my female, Star.

Last edited by Sunsilver; 09-05-2018 at 11:10 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 11:45 AM

Yeah, well, Dallas is in a lot of pedigrees. All of mine have Dallas.

My favorite current day male is Fritz. GV Ch Wolf Creek Galaxy of Merivern. Grand Victor from the veterans class at the 2016 National. He’s a pretty cool dog. Masculine. Carly’s mother is a full sibling to Fritz.

~ Diane ~

and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 12:15 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
Yeah, well, Dallas is in a lot of pedigrees. All of mine have Dallas.

My favorite current day male is Fritz. GV Ch Wolf Creek Galaxy of Merivern. Grand Victor from the veterans class at the 2016 National. He’s a pretty cool dog. Masculine. Carly’s mother is a full sibling to Fritz.
Right, everyone has Dallas. As far as pedigrees go, having Dallas is nothing special. If someone bragged about their dog having Dallas, I'd be hard pressed to keep a straight face. If their American show line dog DIDN'T have Dallas, then I'd be duly impressed.

How are the temperaments in the Wolf Creek lines? I've heard/read stuff about a "Phoenix" but I don't know if it was Wolf Creek Phoenix of Merivern. Not enough information to know that it was that dog.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 12:22 PM

I don’t know anything about Phoenix, but Fritz has a great temperament. Carly’s dam and Carly both have that same even disposition. I know several people with Fritz “kids” and they love them. I was at ringside one time with Sage, and Fritz was rolling around on the ground, playing with Scott’s wife, lol.

~ Diane ~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page