Showing a dog in AKC conformation - n00b! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Strom

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Showing a dog in AKC conformation - n00b!

So, Wolf has his first show next weekend (29th and 30th) and will be competing in the 4-6 month puppy class. I have been trying to get into a conformation training class but they are either full or on a day that doesn't work for me.

Considering we are total n00bs at conformation and entered just to have some fun, any advice or good articles that I should read that can help with the show day?

This is the show we are in: Longview Kennel Club Dog Show

Since it's the puppy class, I'm assuming it's okay that we're new, but I still want to show him to the best of his ability. I will obviously groom him, etc., and am more worried about how the actual showing works.

Thanks!

MacKenzie - Workling Line Female (In Loving Memory)
Wolfram - West German Showline Male [SG1, CGC, DDN, CN, EN, IN, VN]
Bash - Working Line Puppy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 10:01 AM
Crowned Member

Have people he knows approach him straight from the front and practice showing his teeth, then have them touch his shoulders and back, then his testes. Don't worry so much about trying to make him hold his stack in the beginning, make him comfortable being gone over enough that he doesn't shy away or try to get the heck out of there. Be prepared too, for a judge that insists on checking his teeth for him or herself.
dogfaeries likes this.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
Have people he knows approach him straight from the front and practice showing his teeth, then have them touch his shoulders and back, then his testes. Don't worry so much about trying to make him hold his stack in the beginning, make him comfortable being gone over enough that he doesn't shy away or try to get the heck out of there. Be prepared too, for a judge that insists on checking his teeth for him or herself.
Thanks! I've been playing with his mouth and teeth a lot, and he's getting comfortable but he also tend to like to get mouthy in those situations.

Are the pups expected to lead out all the way in the ring? We're working on that but he gets distracted.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 10:20 AM
Crowned Member

I wouldn't worry about where he is at 4-6 mos, I'd concentrate on finding the pace where he'll trot, not want to just gallup around. You're not looking for a whole lot beyond just gaining experience and him showing a happy attitude about it all.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 10:23 AM
Crowned Member

Something else to show him before you go in the ring, is moving with other dogs moving behind him. Let him see that before the show.

Doc

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
Something else to show him before you go in the ring, is moving with other dogs moving behind him. Let him see that before the show.
Good idea, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page