Showing a long coat in AKC conformation? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Showing a long coat in AKC conformation?

I was invited to show Wolf in a puppy class at a nearby show at the end of July. The puppy class is for dogs 4 months to 6 months, and I figured why not. It will be fun! That said, Wolf is a WGSL long coat. I'm not looking to win, just to have fun, but want to make sure that a long coat isn't a disqualifying fault for GSDs in the AKC ring. I know it's considered a fault, but does it disqualify the dog? Again, we're just looking to have fun and get exposure.

What are considered disqualifying faults for GSDs in the AKC? I know a lot more about SV than AKC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 9.52.38 AM.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	430642  

MacKenzie - Workling Line Female (In Loving Memory)
Wolfram - West German Showline Male [SG1, CGC, DDN, CN, EN, IN, VN]
Bash - Working Line Puppy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 02:57 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

http://images.akc.org/pdf/breeds/sta...hepherdDog.pdf

Not listed as a disqualification

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ View Post
Thanks! I read over the standard but didn't see the Disqualifications section there at the end. Any idea how harshly they fault it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 12:24 AM

Depends on the judge. I've seen dogs in the ring that were coats - sometimes they place, sometimes not. If you want to do the 4-6 puppy class, then go have fun!
kimbale likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 01:12 AM
Elite Member

Interesting.

We have a separate class/division here for the long stock coats. Or is a long stock coat different to a long coat? They don't look different to me.
kimbale likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
Depends on the judge. I've seen dogs in the ring that were coats - sometimes they place, sometimes not. If you want to do the 4-6 puppy class, then go have fun!
That's the attitude I'm going in with. I just don't want to get DQed and not even be able to participate. Good to know it depends on the judge and isn't an automatic no-entry. A few of the websites I have read say long coats aren't even allowed in the ring. So confusing.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserAus View Post
Interesting.

We have a separate class/division here for the long stock coats. Or is a long stock coat different to a long coat? They don't look different to me.
In AKC, I think GSDs are all shown as one "breed," unlike collies that can be shown as smooth or rough. In the SV, they are two separate types (stock and long coat).

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 11:44 AM

I'm at a show right now. One of our club members showed a coated bi-color bitch this morning. She didn't place, but a lot of other dogs didn't either.
kimbale likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbale View Post
In AKC, I think GSDs are all shown as one "breed," unlike collies that can be shown as smooth or rough. In the SV, they are two separate types (stock and long coat).
I have a SV registered long coat so I have been trying to understand the specifics (just out of curiosity). From what I understand the SV has two coat types - Stockhair and Longstockhair with undercoat. Longhair without undercoat is considered a breed fault, not acceptable for breeding.

Prior to 1999, longstockhair with or without undercoat was a breed fault.

From the 2013 SV Rules for Breeders and Breeding -
"This breed, the German Shepherd Dog, is allowed only two varieties of “Haararten” (coat types):
(1) straight-hair, medium-length topcoat, and (2) Langstockhaarigen (longcoat with woolly undercoat present).
Breeding the harsh-short-coated (normal) with longcoated dogs is not allowed. Dogs from such combinations
can be allowed no entry in the studbook or supplemental registries (Anhangregister). Breeding such dogs is
only allowed with others that are registered as being of the longcoat variety. "

I thought I saw some recent SV rule changes about about longcoats, but can't find it now...

From schaferhund.com - Breed standard

"The Coat

The medium smooth coated German Shepherd Dog - The outer coat should be as thick as possible and composed of straight, coarse hairs that lay close to the body. The coat is short at the toes, but it grows longer and more profuse on the neck. The hair grows longer on the back of the fore and rear legs as far down as the pastern and the hock joint and forms moderate trousers on the thighs. The length of the hair varies and due to these differences in length, there are many intermediate types. A too short mole-like coat is faulty.

The long smooth coated German Shepherd Dog - The individual hairs are longer, not always straight but definitely not lying close and flat to the body. The coat is considerably longer inside and behind the ears, on the back of the forearm and usually in the loin area. Often there will be tufts behind the ears and feathering from elbow from elbow to pastern. The trousers along the thigh is long and thick. The tail is bushy with light feathering underneath. This coat type is not as weather proof as the medium coat and it is therefore undesirable. However, if there is sufficient undercoat, it may be passed for breeding. Dogs with long coats are commonly narrow chested and have narrow over stretched muzzles. The dog with sufficient undercoat may be passed for breeding, depending upon the rules and regulations of the country.

The long coated German Shepherd Dog - The hair is appreciably longer that that of the long smooth coated dog and tends to form a parting along the back. If present at all, the undercoating will not be weather proofing nor of utility value and, therefore, should not be passed for breeding."
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solamar View Post
I have a SV registered long coat so I have been trying to understand the specifics (just out of curiosity). From what I understand the SV has two coat types - Stockhair and Longstockhair with undercoat. Longhair without undercoat is considered a breed fault, not acceptable for breeding.

Prior to 1999, longstockhair with or without undercoat was a breed fault.

From the 2013 SV Rules for Breeders and Breeding -
"This breed, the German Shepherd Dog, is allowed only two varieties of “Haararten” (coat types):
(1) straight-hair, medium-length topcoat, and (2) Langstockhaarigen (longcoat with woolly undercoat present).
Breeding the harsh-short-coated (normal) with longcoated dogs is not allowed. Dogs from such combinations
can be allowed no entry in the studbook or supplemental registries (Anhangregister). Breeding such dogs is
only allowed with others that are registered as being of the longcoat variety. "

I thought I saw some recent SV rule changes about about longcoats, but can't find it now...

From schaferhund.com - Breed standard

"The Coat

The medium smooth coated German Shepherd Dog - The outer coat should be as thick as possible and composed of straight, coarse hairs that lay close to the body. The coat is short at the toes, but it grows longer and more profuse on the neck. The hair grows longer on the back of the fore and rear legs as far down as the pastern and the hock joint and forms moderate trousers on the thighs. The length of the hair varies and due to these differences in length, there are many intermediate types. A too short mole-like coat is faulty.

The long smooth coated German Shepherd Dog - The individual hairs are longer, not always straight but definitely not lying close and flat to the body. The coat is considerably longer inside and behind the ears, on the back of the forearm and usually in the loin area. Often there will be tufts behind the ears and feathering from elbow from elbow to pastern. The trousers along the thigh is long and thick. The tail is bushy with light feathering underneath. This coat type is not as weather proof as the medium coat and it is therefore undesirable. However, if there is sufficient undercoat, it may be passed for breeding. Dogs with long coats are commonly narrow chested and have narrow over stretched muzzles. The dog with sufficient undercoat may be passed for breeding, depending upon the rules and regulations of the country.

The long coated German Shepherd Dog - The hair is appreciably longer that that of the long smooth coated dog and tends to form a parting along the back. If present at all, the undercoating will not be weather proofing nor of utility value and, therefore, should not be passed for breeding."
Yes, I know the SV standard and how the SV operates. My boy is WGSL and SV registered. I'm wondering about AKC rules, as I have never shown in an AKC show.

If you have questions about long coats and the SV I can answer a lot of them. Fire away!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page