I can't get my GSD to lead in the ring - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sabis mom

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

I can't get my GSD to lead in the ring

Hi everyone. I'm new to showing and I'm learning on the fly. From my understanding when you show GSD's they should be leading out front. When I practice with him and in the one show I've put him in I can't get him to go out front, he just stays next to me in a heeling position. What have you guys done to get your GSD to lead out front? How far should the dog be in front? Thanks for any advice you can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 01:59 AM
Crowned Member

I would bet you worked diligently at obedience?
cloudpump likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 09:27 AM
Crowned Member

Kind of a unique problem......based on all the stories you read of people struggling with forging dogs.....I know I spent some time getting a proper heel established.

I allowed my dog to lead at times as a reward for proper heeling.....taking advantage of lures ahead of us in the beginning.....dog was released from heel per verbal command...took the lead naturally.....both the beginning and ending of her lead were marked clearly.... I have no idea how the process is accomplished by the conformation handlers...since I have never handled a dog in the show ring.

SuperG

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 09:38 AM

Here's something I wrote in another thread about getting your dog to pull out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
I remember when we were training the girls to pull out in front of us. One of us would get in one corner of the ring, and then call the dog to us. The one handling would then let them run to us (running behind, holding the lead). Big praise! Then on to the next corner, going all away around the ring. Pretty soon they figured out they were supposed to move out ahead of the handler, all around the ring. They don't have to race around at a breakneck speed. Some judges don't like all the fast zipping around, and will tell you to slow your dog down.

Depending on how big the ring is, you can have your dog just a little in front of you or all the way out. All that forging ahead when you were trying to teach your dog to heel? You want that for the conformation ring.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 09:43 AM

Give it a command. We say "let's go!" when getting ready to go around the ring.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 10:00 AM
Deb
Knighted Member

As dogfaeries said, give it a command. I used 'walk on'. You could use 'move out'. You can use someone to call your dog and then give the command as they move out. I've known some who used a target stick, kind of like a flirt pole, to get their dog moving forward in front of them on command. You can toss/roll a ball and give the 'move out' command as they go after it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 10:05 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
All that forging ahead when you were trying to teach your dog to heel?
In my situation....the evolution was the pup had to learn a proper heel first....no forging.....essentially going for a "walk" was an exercise in obedience. Once the pup knew the discipline...I utilized the pup's desire to track and lead as the reward ...and the "walk" became less of a 100% exercise in obedience....even though the pup only tracked or led when given the command. This process evolved into 2 distinct behaviors while leashed.....both commanded....neither behavior diminished or compromised the other as they are separate of each other......it works whether I am walking, running or on the bike. Your "let's go" is exactly what I use while on the bike and allow the dog to take the lead when we go full speed......otherwise the dog is in a heel position at slower speeds while biking.

SuperG

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I've got a couple of ideas I can try now and see how they work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page