No more stacking coming to America? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

An interesting change in standards, about time.

Best In Show Daily

this looks interesting. The UK has made a big change in the GSD standard in regards to stacking and what it implies.

Personally I like a more natural stance. That goes for a more natural focus in obedience trials as well.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 08:48 AM
Banned

Wow! They did it! Apparently that Cambridge report we were talking about last week had some teeth in it.

I think this is a great start. The "retraining" classes for the judges will probably get fairly interesting

This shows it can be done. It would be interesting to hear the AKC's take on this. The KC change should make it easier for them to push toward this change here. A a huge boost for that effort. If this is indeed based on recommendations from the Cambridge report, more changes are likely to come with the dogs health in mind. Working with the judges, breeders and JQP on education.

Last edited by Stonevintage; 07-29-2016 at 08:52 AM.
post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 09:25 AM
Crowned Member

No more stacking coming to America?

My BIL sent me this article....I thought it might be of interest to members who pursue conformation and the show ring. Probably old news perhaps.

"GERMAN Shepherds must no longer be stacked in the ring and instead shown free standing on a loose lead only."

"The KC believes the culture of double handling, ‘widely practised and condoned at breed club shows’, has a particularly detrimental effect on the temperament of dogs, who often show symptoms of enormous stress while being exhibited and at other times, the KC said. Erratic movement and apparently exaggerated conformation were other concerns which the review group looked at."

Full article...... Best In Show Daily

SuperG

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 09:32 AM
Crowned Member

the KC are idiots. That is training. If the dogs aren't trained then of course there will be stress. It has nothing to do with stacking.

post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 09:57 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I'm sorry to see the stack go, because a natural stack is just gorgeous. Of course, how often does one see a natural stack in the show ring? LOL.

I agree with Jax - the temperament issues they are referring too has NOTHING to do with double handling - what they are seeing is the core temperament of the dogs.

What I'm hoping for is that if they can't blame the spookyness of the dogs on double handling, they will have to admit that the dogs are nerve-bags and disqualify them.

Naaaaa - it'll never happen!

I wonder though, how the no-more-stacking is going to affect the physical conformation of future dogs? I've read the original article on another site, how sad is it that they have to come out with a rule that specifies that a dog should be able to stand normally, and unsupported. Like, wouldn't you think it was common sense that if a dog can't stand on it's own without falling over, that is NOT a good example of the breed? Yet that is why they came out with these new rules, top-level dogs were so angulated and so roached, they couldn't even stand without leaning into their handlers.
Jax08, gsdluvr, dogma13 and 3 others like this.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 09:58 AM
Crowned Member

The "enormous stress" is what caught my eye when reading the article...it just seemed a bit odd ....and as you mentioned a function of ineptitude by the human perhaps.

SuperG

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 10:04 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I merged the two threads on the topic, sorry if it messed things up some.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 10:19 AM
Banned

I have seen my dog standing in a natural stack three times in my backyard, not just a relaxed one (she does that much more often) but a fairly exaggerated one. It's amazing to see the whole back line straight but at such a high to low angle (and still the back foreleg was not in contact with the ground (only her pads).

Queston; If these dogs can be trained to hop up on a 6 inch stool and sit up - why can't they be trained to walk into a natural stance and hold (a comfortable less exaggerated one) when in the ring? Will that be allowed?

Last edited by Stonevintage; 07-29-2016 at 10:25 AM.
post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 10:27 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
the KC are idiots. That is training. If the dogs aren't trained then of course there will be stress. It has nothing to do with stacking.
Nah.
quote "who often show symptoms of enormous stress while being exhibited and at other times"

It isn't training . It reflects the basic nature of the animal.
Observe the dogs in the parking lot, at ringside preparing to go in , you see it when the judge approaches . It's fairly obvious .

What stress is there to run around in a circle.

Spent a lot of time and energy , along with Linda Shaw , to institute temperament tests at least for the dogs going in for the respective National breed clubs , Specialty show where GV , GVX , are awarded . Those are the dogs that the fancy will choose for breeding so having influence to that faction of the breed .

Good for them to change things up. High time !

Carmen

post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 10:34 AM
Crowned Member

Wow Batman! Carmen learned how to use the quote feature!!! lol

My point was if you don't train for that picture and expose the dog to that picture, they could show some stress or what could be perceived as stress. But stacking and double handling has NOTHING to do with the stress itself.
lhczth, selzer and GypsyGhost like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page