SV Rating Show Advice Needed - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

SV Rating Show Advice Needed

Hello!

I'm hoping to bring my WGWL boy to our first show this upcoming June and I had a few questions. From what I've been able to research, it suggests you must hire a handler unless you yourself are very experienced. Is this true for a general club-level show? I have a friend who has shown Rotties in Sieger style shows who is willing to help me double handle. But it seems the GSD show environment is quite different? I'd appreciate any general advice as well! Thank you!

Dakonic German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 09:25 AM
Crowned Member

Find a show handler to help you train him and to handle him at the show. I found, and many others with working lines, that we need to be totally out of sight or instead of gaiting they'll dig in trying to come to us.

Make sure you've exposed him to gunfire. I had no idea they were going to shoot off a gun and did it right directly in front of Seger. The first shot he perked up. The second shot, he zero'd in on the person and decided his best response should be a bark and hold.

If this is a predominantly show line conformation show, then get him to the club that is holding it and get him used to all those people screaming and whipping balls around the ring. Seger had never seen it before and it all had him soooo ramped.

And last, make sure you know which direction your dog will be stacked in front of the judge. you need to in the same direction so you can get his attention if need be. I was stuck behind a couple of chairs and had no way to get to the other side. They didn't put up any blinds for handlers to run too until our event was almost over. The handler stacked him exactly as she should have but I was on the back side of him and he kept turning to look. So put yourself in good position to start with.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 09:45 AM
Crowned Member

I would hire a person with as much experience in GSD SV shows as you could find. I was lucky to have the availability to do so, and I think it makes a world of difference. In the meantime, we practiced gaiting and tried to best figure out how much double handling is really needed.

The handler knowing the drill and the dog being trained for the ring (and all of the known distractions that come with it) will get you the best rating. I know that the judge I showed under was offended by some of the WL dogs that were entered without proper preparation , and would call it the equivalent of showing up for your BH without a trained dog and having never read the rule book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 09:58 AM
Knighted Member

I know of a name of someone in Sac if she is still available. You can pm me. Then there are a few others to try...

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
I would hire a person with as much experience in GSD SV shows as you could find. I was lucky to have the availability to do so, and I think it makes a world of difference. In the meantime, we practiced gaiting and tried to best figure out how much double handling is really needed.

The handler knowing the drill and the dog being trained for the ring (and all of the known distractions that come with it) will get you the best rating. I know that the judge I showed under was offended by some of the WL dogs that were entered without proper preparation , and would call it the equivalent of showing up for your BH without a trained dog and having never read the rule book.
Thank you for the feedback. Looking unprepared was definitely a big worry of mine.Thanks to mspiker03 I was able to get a hold of a very nice handler who was surprisingly close to me! We're going to work out training prior to the event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Find a show handler to help you train him and to handle him at the show. I found, and many others with working lines, that we need to be totally out of sight or instead of gaiting they'll dig in trying to come to us.

Make sure you've exposed him to gunfire. I had no idea they were going to shoot off a gun and did it right directly in front of Seger. The first shot he perked up. The second shot, he zero'd in on the person and decided his best response should be a bark and hold.

If this is a predominantly show line conformation show, then get him to the club that is holding it and get him used to all those people screaming and whipping balls around the ring. Seger had never seen it before and it all had him soooo ramped.

And last, make sure you know which direction your dog will be stacked in front of the judge. you need to in the same direction so you can get his attention if need be. I was stuck behind a couple of chairs and had no way to get to the other side. They didn't put up any blinds for handlers to run too until our event was almost over. The handler stacked him exactly as she should have but I was on the back side of him and he kept turning to look. So put yourself in good position to start with.
This will likely be my problem! He tends to dig in and pull when he wants me or a toy. I always taught him to pull into a harness for his toys from a young age. I'm glad I'm able to meet with them and train ahead of time, hopefully we'll sort it out.

Dakonic German Shepherds

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 02:40 AM
Elite Member

When I was in a club that hosted a SV style show we all handled our own dogs and helped handle each others. We started practicing months before the show by taping off sections of the field set up like a ring. We also worked on conditioning our dogs(and ourselves as there is a lot of running!). We had experienced members who would help instruct so we didn't need to hire any outsiders.

"If you don't train them, don't blame them"
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Unfortunately, I do not have any clubs anywhere close to me that train for these. The club that's hosting this is the closest I know and it's nearly a 5 hour drive unfortunately.

Dakonic German Shepherds

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 09:24 AM
Crowned Member

Who's the trainer and when/where is the show? Maybe we will play too.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 09:54 AM
Knighted Member

Jeremy - sent you a message

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 10:03 AM
Crowned Member

There's a club in Redding that has conformation classes. Its not that big of a difference between AKC and SV type shows.

shastakennelclub.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page