Conformation Class - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Conformation Class

Maya and I went to our first conformation class this evening. I feel like everyone else there already kind of knew what they were doing, they just had a new dog to work with and train I guess. I definitely felt out of place.

Maya was a pain in the butt in the very beginning, barking at all the dogs, but finally did settle down. She had been quiet and calm for the last 25 minutes or so when the instructor told us to run them around the "ring" one last time. Maya and I went first, then ended up at the back of the line. Even though she had been behaving herself for a while, I kept her a good ways back from the little dog in front of us. Apparently it wasn't far enough in her owner's mind, though, because she threw her arm back at me, palm out. Each and every time the next dog started and the line moved up a little, she would throw her hand up at me.

I guess she and I had different ideas of how far away my dog had to stay from her small one, but still...what she was doing was really, really, REALLY obnoxious. I feel like I need to treat her just like my toddler, and tell her "Use your words!!"

~Jessica~

Maya (Peakes Brook Night Prowler) - female ASL GSD born 12/2/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 08:31 PM

"Oh hun, you don't need to put your hand up to catch me, I've taught my terrible horrible scary dog to stop purposely tripping me into other people but thanks for your obnoxious concern." - my response
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 08:32 PM
Crowned Member

your dogs gait is probably much longer so you are gaining ground quicker than a smaller breed. I would hope they can figure that one out for your next class. That handler probably had more experience and knew that....

I'd also take this time to work on Maya's reactivity...it may be hard though, what does she really have to focus on other than running around the ring? Is it boring for her? Can you do some obedience exercises during down-time?

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 08:32 PM
Crowned Member

rofl...I wish I had known you wanted to train! I just got done training for a show this weekend. You would like Beth.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
your dogs gait is probably much longer so you are gaining ground quicker than a smaller breed. I would hope they can figure that one out for your next class. That handler probably had more experience and knew that....

I'd also take this time to work on Maya's reactivity...it may be hard though, what does she really have to focus on other than running around the ring? Is it boring for her? Can you do some obedience exercises during down-time?
We were only running one at a time, and then stooping back at the end of the line. I would my dog what I considered an adequate distance from hers and tell her to sit, and even then she would throw the hand up.

Lord knows I am trying to work on her reactivity! I actually have already contacted Jody Potter about bringing Maya to her for an evaluation and some help dealing with the issue. She said she'd love to have a look, we just haven't set up a date yet.

I told the instructor at the beginning of class that if Maya just couldn't get herself together I would give it up and try the class again some other time in the future after she had matured a bit and was calmer (fingers crossed...)

EDITED: And oh yeah, I did think about whether it might be too "boring" - in that at obedience class, it's pretty easy to distract her with going through the exercises and rewarding her with treats. So for a while I did do obedience commands with Maya while the others were having their dogs stacked and such. But once she got over her initial excitement, she actually didn't really need the distraction. She just laid down on the floor, head on her paws. I felt kind of bad for her, didn't know if she was bored or disappointed in herself because she had gotten in trouble for all the barking, or what. I am very much looking forward to getting Jody Potter's interpretation of the reactivity situation - if part of the problem is a lack of self-confidence, is correcting her making it worse? I can't wait for a professional's opinion on the "right" way to deal with the issue, the one that not only gets Maya to behave herself, but one that's fair to her and addressing the root cause on her level.

~Jessica~

Last edited by J-Boo; 07-08-2015 at 08:51 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR Shep Mama View Post
"Oh hun, you don't need to put your hand up to catch me, I've taught my terrible horrible scary dog to stop purposely tripping me into other people but thanks for your obnoxious concern." - my response

It wouldn't have been half as obnoxious if she had just SAID something, nicely.

~Jessica~

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
rofl...I wish I had known you wanted to train! I just got done training for a show this weekend. You would like Beth.
When I first got her, I had no thoughts no doing conformation. But now that I'm having fun looking into all the different things we can do together, the breeder had said she would change the AKC registration from limited to full if I was interested in trying it out. SOTC's class offerings for the summer session were kind of limited, but conformation was one of them, so I thought I'd give it a go and just see if it's anything we might enjoy.

Where does Beth instruct?

~Jessica~

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 08:45 PM
Crowned Member

I did this for socializing purposes. Starting amoung the other dogs is throwing her into the deep and she couldn't handle it well which makes it frustrating for you and her.
Next time take a chair and just sit down (work and exercise her prior to the class to make her calmer) with her so she can take in all the different dog, the chaos etc. Take her blanket and a couple of chew toys that last and it will be much more rewarding. Then you both will enjoy the shwo circuit better.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 08:49 PM
Crowned Member

She's in Clarks Summit PA. Breeds WGSL. I'm going to the show in New Windsor this Sunday. You should come down and watch. It's an SV conformation show.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 08:56 PM
Master Member

I don't know about any training class beyond basic obedience, But you saying "use your words!" would have been so perfect in that situation.
Besides, wouldn't it be the trainers job to inform a newcomer about the distance between dogs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page