Body Condition - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Body Condition

My plan is to show Seger in July at an SV show. I hear that the judges don't like the general body conditions of working line. To thin, to muscular, etc.

What is the premium body condition for show?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 12:22 PM
Master Member

I have done some SV ring training and went the the WDA Seiger show last year. I heard the opposite about muscling/body weight, although we weren't specifically discussing working lines. I have been told that judges want lean, well-muscled, powerful appearing dogs. The prep for these big shows involves a lot of conditioning with weight pulling, hill work, even underwater treadmill. I'll be going to a much smaller SV show here later this month and will see how it differs.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 12:24 PM
Crowned Member

I know this is a bit off your topic, but my WL is a bit shorter in the body compared to my SL, is that a comon difference as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osito23 View Post
I have done some SV ring training and went the the WDA Seiger show last year. I heard the opposite about muscling/body weight, although we weren't specifically discussing working lines. I have been told that judges want lean, well-muscled, powerful appearing dogs. The prep for these big shows involves a lot of conditioning with weight pulling, hill work, even underwater treadmill. I'll be going to a much smaller SV show here later this month and will see how it differs.
Seger will be in the 18-24 class. Not sure how much muscle is expected to be on that age group as they are just starting to fill out?

As far as conditioning, he'll be swimming in ponds and biking (which where I live is ALL hill work!)

post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 12:42 PM

Hey jax. A judge is looking for a strong substantial dog that can trott all day.
So lean and muscular and full of drive. I know sl breeders which work their dogs 5-8 miles twice a day weeks leading into a show

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Does anyone have any pictures of a working line male 18 mths in the show ring?

post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 01:25 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Seger will be in the 18-24 class. Not sure how much muscle is expected to be on that age group as they are just starting to fill out?

As far as conditioning, he'll be swimming in ponds and biking (which where I live is ALL hill work!)
I'm not sure what the expectation is honestly. I got some flack for my 10 month old being too lanky and thin. Some people put a lot of time and money (underwater treadmill) conditioning young dogs. I just prefer to let my dog be a puppy without worrying about building muscle for show deadlines. If I decide to enter him in this show he will also be in the 18-24 month group, and his conditioning is running with me (which doesn't count for much), light biking until he's older, swimming, fetch, frisbee, agility, playing with the other dogs, etc. He has good muscle tone now but has a lot of filling out to do. Here's some pics I took of the 12-18 month old males at the Sieger show:

Lots of variation. I think the muscle tone/conditioning will effect group placement but not the overall rating. All of those dogs were SG rated.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 01:31 PM
Master Member

Sorry I don't have any working line pics in that age group. Out of the entire Seiger show, the only time I saw any working lines was when I talked to the working club that set up the bite work, and they were just along for the ride.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thank you for the pictures. My working line looks very different. I'm really looking for working line pictures if possible.

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 01:48 PM
Master Member

I have these pics of a 2 year old WL being stacked in ring training. The SV show here is the 26th and there should be more WLs since it's being hosted by a WL schutzhund club. I'll get some (better quality) pics and share them then.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page