Shwoing working dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Shwoing working dogs?

I was talking to several competitors at an agilty trials who had nice (AKC and intact) working line GSDs about the question if it would be a good idea to enter our dogs in a conformation show. Not to win of course, but to educate the public about the various lines in the GSD breed. One lady said that "you had to have thick skin", which is OK with me. Would it be disrespectful?
Has anyone ever done this? And if so, how did that go? Feedback, comments you got?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 01:27 PM
Crowned Member

I've seen working line dogs in UKC shows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 02:14 PM
Banned

It's donating money to the club, and just make sure you know what you're doing. Don't make a joke of the show because you can't handle your dog properly in the show ring and you don't know how to stack your dog or what exactly will be expected of you in the ring.

It's not disrespectful to enter working lines. No one cares. The people that go to shows, know what a working line shepherd is. You're not educating anyone by entering your dog. The judges and other competitors know as well. The people that go to dog shows aren't "the public." They're dog people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 02:20 PM
Master Member

A friend of mine shows her working line in UKC shows and plans to get his championship. She is doing it for her own education in conformation and does take it seriously. I don't know that it would really help to educate people about the breed that much- the people who are showing in conformation chose their dogs out of the many kinds of shepherd available for a reason. I think the public will find out about lines of GSD through their own inquiry and be attracted to the venues that have working lines more commonly. The first one I ever saw in person was at an obedience trial (well, I had seen LE demo dogs but that is slightly different).

post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 02:44 PM
Master Member

My male has shown in both CKC and AKC shows - hasn't gotten a single point in AKC, but has 6 points towards his Canadian CH. after just one weekend!! He even took over some very accomplished dogs and placed Group 2, three Times, Group 3, twice,

I prepped his coat starting 8 weeks in advance and learned to gait and handle him.

Like someone else said, go to the show to educate, but follow the rules, be respectful and show your dog the best you can.

He is a very moderate dog, 72 lbs and SOLID BLACK - everything was against him, but I think the judges know a powerful representative when they see one, even if they don't always put them up.
gmcwife1 likes this.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 12:57 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
It's donating money to the club, and just make sure you know what you're doing. Don't make a joke of the show because you can't handle your dog properly in the show ring and you don't know how to stack your dog or what exactly will be expected of you in the ring.

It's not disrespectful to enter working lines. No one cares. The people that go to shows, know what a working line shepherd is. You're not educating anyone by entering your dog. The judges and other competitors know as well. The people that go to dog shows aren't "the public." They're dog people.
good post. i have seen three wl gsd over the years entered at a yearly dog show near me. each time i am stunned at what the jude chooses as a winner. i dont believe the akc and their judges like working line gsds. imho, its all politics.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 01:19 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:

I don't think this is true. Regular people looking for dogs go to shows to see different breeds all the time. People tell people to go to show or go clubs for this purpose all the time. So it could be an educational thing for som.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 08:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I don't think this is true. Regular people looking for dogs go to shows to see different breeds all the time. People tell people to go to show or go clubs for this purpose all the time. So it could be an educational thing for som.

How many dog shows have you gone to and shown your dog in?

I have been to dozens of dog shows, there was never a "regular" person there. Everyone there was either a competitor, or just someone who has an affiliation with the club and has dogs. If there are regular people there, there is a very small amount of them there. And in that case, when they see the one working dog at the back of the line of all the show dogs, all it will do is lead them to think that that one is deformed in some way. It's not like you can talk and explain to people why the dog is the way it is.

Maybe at shows like Westminster and other national shows there are other people, but there aren't at your local AKC or UKC trial. It's just not a very "public friendly" event.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 08:25 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
How many dog shows have you gone to and shown your dog in?

I have been to dozens of dog shows, there was never a "regular" person there. Everyone there was either a competitor, or just someone who has an affiliation with the club and has dogs. If there are regular people there, there is a very small amount of them there. And in that case, when they see the one working dog at the back of the line of all the show dogs, all it will do is lead them to think that that one is deformed in some way. It's not like you can talk and explain to people why the dog is the way it is.

Maybe at shows like Westminster and other national shows there are other people, but there aren't at your local AKC or UKC trial. It's just not a very "public friendly" event.
I actually have gone to several local dog shows and I'm not showing nor involved with any clubs in any way.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 08:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik

Who made you the authority on dog shows? If somebody wants to have fun with it and get involved it is perfectly ok.

Anyone can do it irrelevant of experience level.
It's not always a competition.
Weather the handler/dog does well or not and what Their proficiency level is, is irrelevant!

Some people involved, are the 'general public'.

Last edited by Lykoz; 03-20-2015 at 08:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page