When did you know your puppy was ready to show - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

When did you know your puppy was ready to show

I have an 8 month male. I've been working with him fairly regularly to get him ready for his first show. We've attended a few handing classes. Not much offered in the Dallas Ft. Worth area that works with my schedule, so I attend when I can.

Is it a waste of money to take my puppy to a show to get show experience? I know people do it with horses, just wodering if it's a good idea with a dog. There is a show in March that I was thinking about. I really want to get him ready by July.

I know his dad didn't get his first point until he was almost 2 and I am told his line matures slowly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 03:13 PM
Elite Member

I don't know what type of shows (AKC, UKC, SV etc..) but as for me, I took my male to a well known show handler in the area the day before the show to practice gaiting and stuff. Thats it. I practiced stacking him and handling him since he was young, so he was used to being manipulated. Anyway, when he was about 1.5 years old, I entered him in an SV show just for fun, and he ended up doing great. I don't think its a waste of time, I gained ALOT of information and experience from that one long day at a dog show, and SV shows are so hard to find here, so I try and enter any show in the area that pops up.

I say go for it. You guys will gain some experience, and have fun. What's the harm?

SG1 Valco 'Berlin' Hokschhaus CGCA BA-1 UNJCH HIT TKA TC

(2x) SG1 Rogue 'Tesla' v Huerta Hof AD UNJ HIC TKA TC
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 05:46 PM

Go for it! I showed my girls when they were that age. Have fun.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

I will do AKC shows. Just talked to my dad today. He says go for it! Thanks for the advise. Can't wait to get started.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 03:46 PM

iv been training my boy since he was about 4-5 months old. stacking, being touched, measured, have teeth shown, have his man jewellery touched. Most importantly heeling on command and pulling out on command.
at an sv show the Judge will make you walk in a straight line back and forward in an individual, this is to assess the correctness of legs. if they pull it can make things look funny.
and it takes a bit of training to have a dog pull out in front and stay in a trot. especially when their is lots of people double handling screaming their dogs names out, using squeaky toys etc.
there is also a gun test at German sv. although most gsd are fine i have seen some startled by it before especially if they have never herd it before or if they are in an unfamiliar place
just like anything lots of training will help improving chances of doing well.

what sort of show do you plan on showing in?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4mmo View Post
iv been training my boy since he was about 4-5 months old. stacking, being touched, measured, have teeth shown, have his man jewellery touched. Most importantly heeling on command and pulling out on command.
at an sv show the Judge will make you walk in a straight line back and forward in an individual, this is to assess the correctness of legs. if they pull it can make things look funny.
and it takes a bit of training to have a dog pull out in front and stay in a trot. especially when their is lots of people double handling screaming their dogs names out, using squeaky toys etc.
there is also a gun test at German sv. although most gsd are fine i have seen some startled by it before especially if they have never herd it before or if they are in an unfamiliar place
just like anything lots of training will help improving chances of doing well.

what sort of show do you plan on showing in?
I plan to do AKC conformation shows. I started working with him about 2 months ago. He moves out for me rather well. With bait, he fine with inspection.
We are having issues with stacking and the judges approach. He loves the judge! Just a little too much....
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtheoxer View Post

We are having issues with stacking and the judges approach. He loves the judge! Just a little too much....

Not a bad problem to have really. And luckily most judges seem to be pretty forgiving of puppies being puppies. In one of Sage's first shows, the judge told my handler "that's the silliest puppy I've ever seen". Down the road that same judge gave her her first points. She was a little better behaved by then.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page