Grooming for AKC shows - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Grooming for AKC shows

Hello all,
I plan on showing my puppy Azalea in AKC. My questions are how often should I be bathing her, and what can I do to prevent her coat from drying out due to being bathed more often than normal? I am using isle of dogs brand shampoo, should I be diluting it? Also how often should I be conditioning? What should I be doing between baths? I have one of the metro air commander dryers to use. Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 11:33 AM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

I know nothing about preparing a dog for the confirmation ring.

But you can add fish oil to her food, to help with her coat.

Good Luck!!

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 12:17 PM

I show in AKC, and can tell you what we do.

For starters, I don't bathe any of my dogs regularly. Only when someone is blowing coat so bad that I can't stand it, or when we have a dog show. And the only conditioner I ever use is called Naked Care, and I only use it when I have a naked dog, LOL.

I bathe my dog a couple of hours before ring time, giving myself plenty of time to get her dried. You don't want to take a damp dog into the ring! Alternately, you can bathe the dog the night before you show, and then re-wet the dog completely, instead of shampooing, the next day. Saves a bit of time, which is important if you have a ring time of 8:00 am and you are bathing at 6:00 am and cursing the kennel club for putting GSDs in the ring at practically the crack of dawn.

So anyway, start with a clean, wet dog and blow dry. You can dilute some bodifier in a spray bottle, and spritz your dog before you dry her, if you feel like she needs it. I groom Sage and Carly a little differently from each other, since they have different coats. LOL, I can make a little diagram for you showing the direction to blow dry the coat, if you want. Basically it's just against the grain, to make the coat stand up. Except on the back and the back of neck. That's flat.

Is all this clear as mud?
Datura likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for that description
If you have that diagram that would be totally great and very appreciated!
In my area from looking at past show times, it looks like all of the clubs like to have the GSDs show bright and early, so I'm thinking we'll mostly be bathing the night before. I do have a spray bottle, so I should just spray her with water morning of the show and dry her there? How will I know if she needs the bodifier?
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 01:08 PM

I would do a practice run at home. Bathe her and then blow dry her. See how long it takes to get her dried. I wouldn't even bother with bodifier on her right now. Make sure her toenails are nice and short the week of the show. Don't try to do them the day of the show.

Then when you are at the show site, I would wet her down (throughly). I just go find the bathing facilities at the site, and take the hose and soak my dog down. Since she's still a baby, you could always take your spray bottle of just water and get her wet down to the skin. I go hose mine down, just because it's faster and my dogs are used to it. Mine have all been going to shows since they were little, so they are used to the hustle and bustle of the show site. It's noisy and crowded. It can be a little overwhelming!

I confess that I sneak treats to my dogs while I am blow drying them.

DON'T FORGET TO MAKE THIS FUN FOR YOUR PUPPY!! I know a bath and blowdrying isn't the most fun thing, but I play with my dogs while I'm at the show, and waiting for them to go in the ring. Carly gets bored easily and starts backing up if we just stand around. I have to keep her engaged, or she can be a pill. Sage, on the other hand, gets bored and wants to sprawl out and take a nap in the middle of the aisle. I have to play with her, or the next thing I know, she's flat on her side, and someone is about to step on her tail! All I can think of is "I just blowdried you and you are flattening your coat! Get up!".

Datura likes this.

~ Diane ~

and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 02:10 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

dogfaeries, wonder if we can make that great drawing a sticky in the conformation section?! It's so well done with the arrows plus the grooming table. Be such a help for newbies who are thinking of trying it!

Datura likes this.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 02:15 PM

Sure thing!

Not everyone grooms the same way for a show, but the vast majority of my dog show friends groom their shepherds this way.

~ Diane ~

post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
Sure thing!

Not everyone grooms the same way for a show, but the vast majority of my dog show friends groom their shepherds this way.
I'm not a moderator on this section or conformation so can't just move this post, but I put in a notification so hopefully it will get moved.

Be nice to have more sticky's and information in conformation to get a balance on the site

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 02:26 PM

That would be great!

I know conformation is not popular here, and in theory you should just be able to knock the dirt off your dog's feet and run into the show ring, but that's not the reality of it. If you are going to play with the big boys in AKC, then you need to groom your dog the way they do.

~ Diane ~

post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
That would be great!

I know conformation is not popular here, and in theory you should just be able to knock the dirt off your dog's feet and run into the show ring, but that's not the reality of it. If you are going to play with the big boys in AKC, then you need to groom your dog the way they do.
Conformation COULD be more popular here if people post more there and then just stick to their guns (nicely ) when people come on saying they prefer another type of GSD. We all need tough skins some of the time here, just say what we know and why we know it, then move on. The haters can be dealt with by the moderators (thats ME !!! ) .

Heck I prefer black and sable GSDs to any other color but does that make me 'right' and others 'wrong' or is it just my opinion and taste? (course I'm right though )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page