How to get them animated? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

How to get them animated?

I made the stupid mistake of making conformation serious for my boy and now he has lost all animation. He used to walk into the ring all excited and now he has a low headset and he kinda just moved along. Just wondering if you guys have tips to get them more excited/animated? I've tried to be excited like at obedience but he still doesn't seem to care. My breeder said I can bring a toy into most rings and get him excited. He moves out and stands really well when others show him because he's looking for me but he barks a lot. Any tips/ videos would e greatly appreciated!!! Hopefully this all makes sense.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Elite Member

Have others show him! If it works, roll with it.

Vary your bait. I usually have something fuzzy up my sleeve, something squeaky in my pocket, and something delicious in my mouth. Bound to hit something somewhere.

Join a ring-handling class where they have gates set up. Work on a hard surface and toss bait ahead of you intermittently. Let him collect it at first, but after a while redirect so he's not stooping to sniff the floor when it really matters. When you enter the ring for real, pretend 'toss' bait to get his head up and catch his interest.

ETA: watch out in UKC, though... bait tossing is a big NO NO and you want to be very clear that you're just using a motion, not actually tossing anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I've been reading about tossing the food so I'm going to see if I can try that. There are handling classes near us I just work 6 days a week and its hard to find classes that work with my schedule. He doesn't get overly excited about food but I think the toy might do the trick I just would hate to mess up the other dogs. He really is loud when others show him, my breeder said he actually pawed the judges hand off his bite because he was in his way to look for me. What about teaching him to stand taller in the stack? Thanks so far!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
If you toss bait *PLEASE PICK IT UP* It is rude to throw bait and not pick it up. Honestly, just tossing it up and down in your hand is usually good enough, or, if you're trying to get expression and ears, toss it up, and let it hit the floor, but immediately pick it back up and start baiting again.

Jackie and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Elite Member

I don't use treats. I use a 'turkey call'. ( Walmart/sports store)
My forerunner goes ahead and squishes it while calling my dog's name.
Some people use squeaky toys...but I wanted something different.
After awhile, they'll figure out what to do and you won't need it.

Just a suggestion.
Kat
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 10:41 PM
Crowned Member

Also keep in mind that double handling is NOT allowed in AKC shows.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 11:29 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
Also keep in mind that double handling is NOT allowed in AKC shows.
But simultaneously keep in mind that double handling is blatantly used VERY OFTEN by pro handlers and is rarely penalized. Double edged sword!

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 12:03 AM

Well, it's definitely blatant at specialties. Running laps outside the ring, ringing bells, yelling their dogs' names. I hate it. Drives me nuts.

I don't see it at the all breed shows, at least in these parts. No one is racing around outside the ring (there isn't room anyway - you'd mow someone over), yelling their dog's names. The AKC rep would be on you in a heartbeat. I guess you could do some discreet coughing. Or talk loud. Or knock over a chair. My double handling consists of staying in the same spot outside the ring so my dog isn't looking for me. She knows where I am then, and pays attention to my handler.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Oh no I wouldn't toss bait in the ring I was reading to teach them to look forward when your practising to toss the bait and then just use the motion. I'll try to post a link. I hide when someone else shows him the one time I tried just standing in view and he almost took the handler out twice. So that went out the window very quickly. I really like showing and would prefer to do it myself. I just need to find a way to have him stack more excited he stands but his head is kinda low. (I will try to post a picture) and he really pays no mind to the judge (very aloof)

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

http://sue-eh.ca/page24/page30/
This link should bring you to the article... How to get them animated?-imageuploadedbypg-free1381034220.284627.jpg this is what he stacks like in the ring... Also any tips besides the ones in the article to get them to move forward without looking at you? He trots around as if we are doing a fast heel in obedience...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page