No VA placements, only ratings - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

No VA placements, only ratings

How do we feel about this? The upcoming Sieger show will place the dogs in catalog order without ranking/number placements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 05:09 PM
Elite Member

Stuck behind a train, so I'll bite. I think this is a positive move in terms of increasing diversity in the breed. It seems people want to breed to the "best" and they think that's the VA1 dog. (While of course that may not be the "best" match for their female.)

Now if only we could get people to recognize that it might be the V or SG dog that represents the standard best in terms of structure AND temperament.

PAM Guardyan's Gavin, VCD2, CDX, RE, AX, AXJ, AXP, AJP, TD
PACH Guardyan's Helki, CDX, PCDX, RA, MXP3, MXPB, MJP3, MJPB, CGCA
Guardyan's Kamikaze BN, CDX, RE, OAP, OJP
Guardyan's Kricket BN, CD, RN, NAP, OJP
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 08:37 PM
Crowned Member

Small step in right direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I don't know....I guess I wonder why they won't just judge differently if they want to start a change? What does taking the ratings away really do? I am not condoning the previous placements or endorsing those dogs, but let's just assume for a minute that the dogs earning VA are true representatives of the breed. This is THE premier show. The breeders, owners, trainers, and handlers have spent years and small fortunes preparing the dogs and getting them to the point where a VA is within grasp. To me it seems silly to have what is supposed to be the premier event in the world withholding placements. I just competed in a national event with my dog and while we did not win, it was a NATIONAL event and I paid and traveled there to compete!

I really don't see that everyone is only breeding the VA1 dog....I thought that breeding was limited in Germany? I think VA12 dogs get insane amounts of breedings just like VA1 dogs! I agree that sometimes it's the mid-V or even SG dogs that I personally prefer, for many reasons. So why award a VA at all if we don't think the dog is VA-worthy? If we want to make some changes in what specimens are being put up as the best of our breed, how does awarding the same title to the same number of dogs help? Why not change how they are being judged?

Last fall I was talking to a judge at an SV type show and he was talking about how at one point everyone was obsessed with the croup and people were doing less than ideal breedings trying to get perfect croup/rear so the judges decided that for at least a year, they were not going to look at the croup and not mention it in their critique. According to this judge, after that the croups did improve as well as other aspects of health (because supposedly some folks were sacrificing things like health to get a perfect croup). Why not start initiatives like that?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 07:32 AM
Crowned Member

Do you know that VA 1 and VA 12 dogs get comparable breedings, or do you think this is the case. If it is the case then it won't have an impact, if VA1 dogs do get significantly more breedings then it will have some impact.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 08:26 AM
Crowned Member

Should all those V dogs be bred? Just because there is a show rating, doesn't mean the dog should reproduce....
Agree:
Quote:
Now if only we could get people to recognize that it might be the V or SG dog that represents the standard best in terms of structure AND temperament.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
Do you know that VA 1 and VA 12 dogs get comparable breedings, or do you think this is the case. If it is the case then it won't have an impact, if VA1 dogs do get significantly more breedings then it will have some impact.
Doesn't Germany limit how many they can register in a month? I know of dogs who have "maxed out" who were not VA1 dogs (some not even VA dogs) so that's what I mean....if many of them are getting max breedings and only one is the VA1 dog I don't think it's the VA1 award that is contributing to over breeding the same dogs/lines.

I believe they do tend to limit how many VAs are awarded to dogs of the same or similar lines, so that is a good thing.

I wish they would go back to focusing on temperament like they said they were, that would really shake up the placements.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Crowned Member

Germany determines how many breedings a dog can have in a year.....most dogs come no where near the amount....I'm just curious if the Va-1 dogs which I know reach max(60) or close, are basically the same as the VA -12 dogs.....because I think part of the problem is the top say 4/5 VA dogs get a disproportionate of amount of breedings from other VA dogs thus further narrowing the genetics. Now if that is the case and they eliminate 1 to 12, then people can't make status decisions on studs as much, or at least it would be spread among 12 dogs.....of course if they all get about the same breedings whether it is max or two then this rule won't have much effect.
Also, if I'm not mistaken this is geared only at VA dogs at Seiger show, so it doesn't affect say a Bomber that may have max breedings but doesn't have the genetic saturation that has occurred in VA dogs....maybe I'm missing something here.

Last edited by cliffson1; 08-22-2013 at 09:57 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 10:03 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Ok, so feel stupid asking this question. But I don't understand. So, dogs will be shown and rated, but no "winner"? So if 60 dogs show: 20 get SG, 10 get G , 15 get V, then 15 get VA. Then what? Normally they would be rated, which one is best of the VA, then second and third and so on. Like a AKC show, best if breed, best if opposite, yadda yadda.

If they don't actually " rank " the dogs, who get Seiger or Siegeren? Isn't that the point? The be Seiger or Siegeren of the national show?

Help. I feel stupid? Seems like child team sports, no winner if the game. " everyone who played is a winner" mentality. No score kept. Everyone gets a chance at bat and a pat on the back for being " the best"

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 07:18 AM
Crowned Member

It means 15 dogs are better than the rest in no particular order. So a breeder has to maybe do a little more homework to determine who to breed to instead of breeding to the Seiger and advertising that they got pups out of the Seiger regardless of whether the breeding is a good match or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page