The (frustrating) road to getting Sage's championship - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

The (frustrating) road to getting Sage's championship

No, we aren't there yet.

My beautiful girl still needs both of her majors. We are all singled out at 9 points. She has 2 Best of Breeds (both good sized entries, one of them over 3 specials), a couple of Best Opposites. To be fair, she has been shown very sparingly, and until last weekend has only been in two shows that even HAD majors. She went Reserve at one of those majors (to my other dog, LOL).

Last weekend I drove to Little Rock, Arkansas. Both days were 4 point majors. Both days she wins a large Open class. Both days she goes RESERVE. It was sooooo maddening. Aarghhh!!! Even more maddening when your competitors come up to you and say your bitch should've won.

In two weeks I go to Monroe, Louisiana. The breed counts came out today. One day is a 4 point major, the other 3 days it's 5 point majors. OMG. Four chances for a major. Now I'm nervous!

(I know the vast majority of you all think that this AKC championship stuff is stupid, but hey, it's one thing that I'm doing. And it's driving me nuts ...)

On a different note, if Carly will ever get out of heat, she's starting in nosework classes. Ya!

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 09:23 PM
Knighted Member

I am sorry, this adds nothing to your discussion, but I wanted to say that I relive my conformation showing days through your posts!

Thank you!!!
Sheilah
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I love it and I hate it, LOL.

~ Diane ~

and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Crowned Member

Not to detract from Carly's accomplishments...but WHEN did you get that cutie in your avatar!

post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 09:39 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

You can do it. Nothing worth earning is easily done!!! You have a gorgeous girl!!! Keep at it!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Not to detract from Carly's accomplishments...but WHEN did you get that cutie in your avatar!
That is Russell. I've had him since he was 9 or 10 weeks old. He will be 6 months old next week and is the most hilarious puppy ever. He's very cheerful. And super confident.

~ Diane ~

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 02:42 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
I know the vast majority of you all think that this AKC championship stuff is stupid
No way, I think it's really neat! I don't know ANYTHING about conformation and I would love to learn more. Getting a blow-by-blow of how it actually all goes down, and how much work goes into a championship, is totally fascinating to me! And getting that insight gives me a lot more respect for just how grueling a show schedule is.

So, I mean, if I get to make requests (which I'm not sure I do, so please feel free to ignore this!): more details! MOOORRREE.

Talk to me like I'm stupid: what's a major? What's a Best of Opposite? (Best of Breed seems pretty intuitive, at least!) What do people mean when they talk about a "major breaking"? Is it a big deal or just like a Utility NQ, i.e., a thing that you expect to happen as part of the grind? Do you get any warning before it's going to happen, or do you show up at the grounds and only find out on the day of the event?

And post pictures!!

ARCHMX TDCH Pongu the Insane, CD-C, RE, RL1X6, RL2X5, RL3X2 (GSD mix, b. Apr 2010)
Crookytail the Tigerwuff, RL1, ITD (Akita mix, b. Jan 2011)
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 06:58 AM
Banned

you're frustrated about what? you said you've shown her sparingly.
you've shown her sparingly and she's winning. look at your success.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 02:53 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
Diane, I feel your pain! I am desperately wanting to get Wesson's second major, and not only can I NOT find majors, she is naked as a jay bird!

Jackie and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

I'll start at the beginning. Dog Show 101

When you show your dog, it's separated by sexes. Bitches show against bitches and dogs against dogs. There are several puppy classes you can enter, as well as Novice, Bred By Exhibitor, Amateur Owner Handler, American Bred, Open. Pick the appropriate puppy one, or one where you feel your dog will do best. Sage has gone from American Bred to Open. She's 3 years old now, and I think she fits in the Open class.

So.... The 1st place winners of each of these classes go back in for Winners. The one that is picked for Winners is the one that gets the points towards their championship. That's it. Nobody else. They also pick a Reserve Winners, which is sort of like 1st runner up, or as my breeder calls it - "first loser". It makes you crazy, those stupid purple and white reserve ribbons.

Now it's time for the Best of Breed competition. All the Champions and the Winners Dog and the Winners Bitch compete with each other for Best of Breed. The judge picks Best of Breed. If the BOB is a dog, then the judge will pick a bitch from the rest of the Best of Breed competition to go Best Opposite Sex (and the reverse is true). The judge will also pick Best of Winners from the two that went Winners from the classes. The judge can also award a Select to a dog and a bitch, and that counts towards Grand Championship points, but that's another thing altogether. I have demonstrated this whole thing with shampoo and cologne bottles at work for a friend of mine who can't keep all this stuff straight. "Now this cologne bottle is the Winners Bitch…"

Okay, now the whole point system nightmare.

From the AKC website:
"The American Kennel Club requires a dog to obtain a total of 15 points with two major wins (a major win is worth three points or higher) to become a champion. The majors must be won under different judges and at least one other judge must award some of the remaining points – so you need to win under at least three different judges."

That sounds easy enough, but no, LOL.

Each state where you show your dog has different numbers for what constitutes a major. And it is determined each year by the entries in each breed. Every breed has different numbers for a major. For example it only takes 7 Border Collie bitches to make a 3 point major in Oklahoma, but it takes 16 GSD bitches to make that same 3 point major. We consequently hate the BC people (just kidding). That's why, when we win, my friends in other breeds are shocked that our win wasn't a major. It takes a boatload of GSDs to get a major where I live. The show that I'm going to next - Monroe, Louisiana - has 20 bitches entered on that Sunday. In Louisiana, that is a 5 point major. In Oklahoma, it would be a 4 point major. But it doesn't make any difference - 3, 4, 5 pt majors - you have to have 2 of them to finish.

Okay, building MAJORS. Argh.

You call everyone you know that has a GSD. You get your handler to call the other handlers and find out where everyone is going. You beg everyone to go to the same show. This is called "building a major".

Now that everyone is supposedly on board with the plan, you make your entries. Entries close at noon on a Wednesday. You haunt the superintendent's website waiting for the breed counts to come out (usually Fri morning). If the numbers you need are there, then congrats, you have succeeded in building your major. If it is a major on the nose (say you need 16 and there is 16) you hope and pray that everyone shows up. If someone doesn't show up, or their dog gets excused, THAT is breaking a major. And it makes you want to scream "noooooooooooo!!". If you ONLY need majors (like my Sage) and it isn't a major, you just don't go to that show. No sense showing and possibly taking the points from someone else who can use them. Basically you have tossed your entry fees out the window.

~ Diane ~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page