Sables in UKC and AKC - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Sables in UKC and AKC

OK, I need the 'real scoop' on how sables fare in AKC and UKC. I personally have only seen one sable take anything in UKC, and he didn't end up with BOB at the end of the day anyway.

Has anyone had success in either venue with a sable?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 09:46 PM
Master Member

Good question, I would like to know too. Following along.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Lulu) Selma Zet Eurosportu CA CGC
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Crowned Member

My first dog was a working line sable female, very light sable. She was a UKC Champion and had wins towards her Grand, but I only showed her altered myself because she was spayed before I got her. Photos are not meant for critiquing her, just showing you what she looked like. I highly doubt she would have ever earned an AKC point, not that type at all, but so far she was my most balanced (matching front and rear) and firm/dry moving GSD. I also loved her ears and her strong yet feminine expression.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 10:36 PM
Crowned Member

Oh, also last year at one of my shows the breed was won by a male working line sable, a bit darker than my dog above. He was a class dog, first show ever, owner had no experience. I think he beat 3 or so CH/GRCH GSDs for that breed win.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 11:05 PM
Crowned Member

I have seen several sables in the Akc all breed ring do well. Definitely ASLs. Not working lines.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 11:07 PM

There are ALOT of sables shown in AKC around here, and they win just as much as the black and tans.

I have a good friend with a GCh sable male (AKC). I can think of at least 4 sables in our local GSD club that are being shown in AKC. I know of another local sable male that just won a 5 point major at the GSD specialty in Tulsa in May. I haven't noticed any prejudice towards sables at all. Which is good since our club members always seem to have sables!

I can't tell you anything about showing sables in UKC because I don't show in that venue.

oh, and yes, these are all ASL.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 08:48 AM
Knighted Member

The sire of my pup is a grand champion, UCI Intl Champion and also won BIS in the UKC ring and is a sable and not a patterned one.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks for all the replies so far! I'm so glad sable isn't an automatic 'out'. I just haven't shown with many so I never see them place. Thanks again! I love dark sables but also love conformation. It's awesome to hear that the two are not mutually exclusive.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 10:49 AM

Here is a UKC CH dark sable. I have seen a few others as well, but they certainly aren't as common in the show ring. link

Ryker: (USDAA) SR (DOCNA) C-BTA C-ISLA
Chandra: puppy in training!

Living forever in my heart, Solstice: (AKC) MX MXJ MJB (USDAA) PDCH (DOCNA) MEX-Bronze
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 11:27 AM
Knighted Member

Sables do very well in UKC.

SG S-Hunter vom Geistwasser CA CGN TT ATD (Service Dog, Retired Airport Wildlife Control K9)
Zenna vom Geistwasser NTD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page