Show product on your GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Show product on your GSD?

Do any of you use special grooming products on your dogs before a show? Chalk, coat enhancers, etc? I've heard of everything from chalking to using mascara to make the whiskers more black. I personally have zero interest in using anything like that. When Vegas starts showing he'll get a bath with some high quality shampoo, get dried, nails dremmeled, and a good brushing. And that's it! :P
What are your thoughts? Do you use anything before a show?

Also, to what degree do you like to see dogs stacked? I can't bring myself to stack vegas on his hock or over extend his leg too much. It just looks to unnatural to me. I plan on showing him in UKC, which is a lot more lenient that AKC, but I do want to give AKC a shot. I'd love to see some pictures of an 'ideal' stack for show, that isn't overdone. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Elite Member

I'll freely confess to knowing nothing about conformation, but my understanding was that using anything to dye or alter the color of a dog's fur was forbidden? Like conditioner is fine, and hair spray is fine, and whitening shampoo to brighten a coat is acceptable, but I always thought anything that actually "paints" the dog is not permitted.

If I'm wrong I would be grateful for someone to correct me.

ARCHMX TDCH Pongu the Insane, CD-C, RE, RL1X6, RL2X5, RL3X2 (GSD mix, b. Apr 2010)
Crookytail the Tigerwuff, RL1, ITD (Akita mix, b. Jan 2011)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Knighted Member

I don't know all the rules either. But I think that covering up, adding on, or trying to fake something shouldn't be allowed, and it defeats the purpose of showing. The dog doesn't have it, he doesn't.

I agree with you, don't over stack him! Overstacking looks unprofessional to me, and like the owner is trying to cover some other flaw up. Hopefully a decent show person will chime in and show you how to stack without making him look like a frog attempting ballet like some folks seem to like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Crowned Member

You can't use products like chalk or coat enhancers on your dogs in UKC.

I bathe my dog about a week before a show. The day off I spritz with water and ACV mix, then use the dog dryer to fluff and blow out excess coat, brush lightly to smooth cowlicks and that's about it. Nails I trim constantly so I don't need to do that just for a show.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 06:41 PM
Master Member

I was raised with American line show dogs and I was taught that you never alter their appearance. Bath them, dry them with a high velocity dryer, brush them, maybe spray some coat conditioner on them and dremel their nails.
I do see people with other breeds using chalk, dye and whatnot. I don't think it is allowed but they will do what they want I guess. And I know some gsd people who will trim their dogs up a little and use thinning shears to enhance their outline but I don't feel that is right. Gsds are a natural breed imo.

Eli GSD - RN RA RE RAE SD-S SCRB1 HIC CGN TEC
Riot GSD - RN RA RE SD-S SD-A HIC CGN
Cajun GSD - Evie All Canadian - Sweetie APBT - Logan ACD
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 07:32 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
GSDs are altered constantly in AKC

Nails colored black, noses made blacker, tan made redder, etc.

The most I do as far as product goes is use hair spray to hold up the hair of a dog that doesn't have a great croup. Otherwise my dogs are basically shown as is.

I'll use a coat conditioner spray on dogs that are blowing coat, as the coat will sometimes look a little dull otherwise.

Jackie and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 08:12 PM

I use a good shampoo, some bodifier here and there where needed (depends on how out of coat the dog is), blow dry. Just bought a new Kool Dry blow dryer today (Chris Christensen) at the dog show. It is amazing.

It's a big show in Oklahoma City, and I really want my girl to win this weekend. It's the same bunch of dogs that she beat in Tulsa, so I've got my fingers crossed that she can repeat it.

Sent from Petguide.com App

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 08:18 PM

when I was showing my black dawg,,shampooed with black dog shampoo, poofed out with a blower, used "The Stuff", and sometimes mink oil..

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Banned

i showed my pup when he was a puppy. i would bathe him
the morning of the show. then after he air dried i combed him
and brushed him.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 11:10 AM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

When I was showing Tag, he was bathed in the morning and blown almost dry. Then we would put some bodifier on him and blow him completely dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page