advice needed - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

advice needed

I have a GSD German showline puppy that I would like to show when she is old enough. I have a couple questions - which is the best organization to join? United Schutzhund Club of America (USA) WDA, any others???? She is not an American style German Shepherd so I am not looking for AKC conformation.

Thank you for any help and insight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 07:41 PM
Crowned Member

USCA or WDA. You can do both.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 10:56 PM
Banned

you can show a pup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

How do I prepare the pup to show? I know I need to gait train and stack her but I'm not sure how to go about that. Are there any videos or books out there that would help?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholwick View Post
How do I prepare the pup to show? I know I need to gait train and stack her but I'm not sure how to go about that. Are there any videos or books out there that would help?
I posted a thread awhile back looking for books about this stuff too but no one replied, hopefully someone chimes in here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Megan
Lara
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Elite Member

Let me preface this by saying that I have never shown a dog in conformation and I have only the vaguest notions about how you train a dog for it (I know a little about gaiting because I trained Pongu on cavaletti for Rally and freestyle stuff, but it wasn't the same focus as conformation-style gaiting at all). And I have not actually read the book I'm about to recommend.

With that said, I've heard good things about this book as an introductory text for beginners: Welcome to Dogwise.com -- I believe there's a DVD set that goes along with it, but I haven't heard much about that.

My understanding is that this book is written for people who are very new to conformation showing, and that some of the information is likely to seem quite basic if you're already familiar with the training concepts. So maybe it's not what you're looking for, and someone who has more experience in this field might be able to give a more informed opinion. I'm mostly just throwing it out there because it's the only title that anyone's ever mentioned to me as a potential resource.

ARCHMX TDCH Pongu the Insane, CD-C, RE, RL1X6, RL2X5, RL3X2 (GSD mix, b. Apr 2010)
Crookytail the Tigerwuff, RL1, ITD (Akita mix, b. Jan 2011)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I will look into the book!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 12:32 AM
Crowned Member

ask the breeder ! they should be able and interested into getting a good dog exposed , help you connect to a club in your area.

Get a picture up on the thread and there will be help and suggestions .

Carmen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page