Need Help - German Shepherd Gaiting - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Need Help - German Shepherd Gaiting

I recently took my dog to a conformation show. Out of all of the dogs in the show, mine was the only one trying to go potty on the field and certainly was not gaiting well. He could not accomplish going potty on the field, but he managed to get in last place. I tried practicing with him at home to see if he can gait, but he just doesn't do it. He gallops or hurries around with his nose to the ground, sniffing, but doesn't gait... once in a while he might gait a little bit... but he comes from wonderful sieger lines, so I don't understand his behavior.

Anyway, I was wondering if there is some kind of trick to it. Do you train the dog to gait? My female does perfect with gaiting and earned 3 sieger titles already, but I got her when she was older, so I don't know what her previous owner did. Any advice on how to get my male to gait normal would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 07:11 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Need Help - German Shepherd Gaiting

I have no advice for you, sorry. But I can say, I took my male to a show and he turned around, grabbed the leash and hopped backwards all the way around the ring. So it could be worse.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 07:51 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

The easiest way to teach a dog to gait uses two people -- one to call the dog, and the other to gait the dog. The person holding the leash often has to be strong enough to hold the dog into the trot while the dog is pulling,

If you don't have two people, try starting at a walk, then increase the speed when the dog is reponding the way you want.

I trained one dog using for traffic cones and a tennis ball. We worked one corner at a time until he could do the whole circle (square).

Another I trained with food and a target.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page