SV-Conformation Questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

SV-Conformation Questions

In my quest for competing in just about every venue I can with my GSD Xena, I've been turning a lot of attention to SV-Conformation shows (though not yet Seiger shows). After scouring the web, articles, forum posts etc I think I've got a good idea about it. Once money builds again I'll be joining up with the USCA and registering Xena with them too.

Right now she does ring class weekly, and has been in a couple formal and informal shows and she works well with moving ahead. Sometimes she pulls left, but were working on it. Considering the amount of conditioning that will be needed (mostly for me), and the distance/infrequency of shows in my area, I dont think we'll actually be entering an SV-Show for a while yet so I've got time for us to prepare.

I do have some questions though, so if anyone can help me out that'd be fantastic!

The first question I have is about handling. I kind of dont want to hire a handler for a few reasons, and I dont mind bumbling through things while learning. It would honestly be far less stressful for me to handle, but I'm curious if it is actually allowed or not. Nothing I read gave a straight answer. Some articles said owners cant show and some said it's not recommended, and some talked about owners first time in SV shows actually showing, so I'm honestly not sure what the definite answer is.

Another question, how many times can a dog compete for a rating? And is there any distinct reason that a dog would be V in one show and SG in another? Is that even a possible outcome? I'm not entirely sure how the ratings really work. I know how the show itself works, but in AKC shows a dog could win the breed under one judge and lose it's class under another judge, but at the end you get points which lead to a Championship. If I were to enter Xena in a show and she gets an - optimistic - V rating, and at another SV-Show under a different judge she gets a G, which title would stick? And could I compete again to get a better title?

I'm sorry if this sounds like a glaringly novice question, but I couldnt find much information about this online. I havent yet looked into books about SV-Shows, but I will soon. Any volunteered information is also really helpful! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 07:46 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, you can handle your own dog. I handle Nikon (but I do have my husband or a close friend who he likes "call" him for me if I need it). If you are handling without a double handler then your dog needs to be trained to move WAY out ahead of you and move fast.

A dog can compete as few or as many times as you want. You don't need to earn points or majors or wins; the dog earns a rating and critique every time. One reason a dog can V once and then SG is because judges have bias and/or are willing to overlook things. Like if a dog is obviously too large, one judge may still give it a V rating but another might be a stickler for size. One judge might be "working line friendly" and V rate a nice WL but another judge might be a jerk that only likes WGSL. Getting an SG rating after a V rating does not mitigate the V rating.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

I was hoping you would answer!

Thanks hah! Yeah I was going to be using my boyfriend as the Double Handler, but I think he might have to do the 'hide-and-call' method. Were going to have to work on it, but Xena gets excited easily if there is something for her to be excited about. So it's certainly going to be a while before we go anywhere, but she just turned a year, so she's still young.

I was curious about the Working Line vs Show Line aspect of this too. A few times I read that there are some clubs which are more friendly to one type or another, but so far nothing about judges being unfair based on type. Is that ever an issue though?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Oh and that reminds me of another question. I've seen everywhere that you can have either a tattoo OR a microchip, but all the registration forms I've seen for membership or showing just say Tattoo #. Would I just write the microchip number and write 'Microchip' in () or...what would I do in this case?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 12:04 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renoto View Post
The first question I have is about handling. I kind of dont want to hire a handler for a few reasons, and I dont mind bumbling through things while learning.
I advise you to find a handler at the show or you can email the trial secretary to find out if there is a list of available handlers or sometimes the show website will list available handlers or you can show up the day of and ask around for a handler. The majority of people will do very poorly when handling their own dog. It is far better to have an experienced handler handle your dog in the ring if you have never done an SV show. Judges like dogs that have been worked and trained properly for the venue - most dogs will not do well with having the owner handle. It looks bad 99% of the time.

Quote:
Another question, how many times can a dog compete for a rating? And is there any distinct reason that a dog would be V in one show and SG in another? Is that even a possible outcome? I'm not entirely sure how the ratings really work. I know how the show itself works, but in AKC shows a dog could win the breed under one judge and lose it's class under another judge, but at the end you get points which lead to a Championship. If I were to enter Xena in a show and she gets an - optimistic - V rating, and at another SV-Show under a different judge she gets a G, which title would stick? And could I compete again to get a better title?
You can show as many times as you like for one age group or class.

VP or P ratings:
3-6mo 6-9mo and 9-12mo

SG or G ratings:
12-18mo and 18-24mo

After 2 years is when it gets a little complicated...
In Germany, they do not have the open class for untitled dogs over 2 as dogs over 2 are expected to be titled before showing for a rating. In the USA, it is much harder to get dogs titled so many shows have open class for these untitled dogs over 2. Some shows will even have requirements like only 24-36mo can show in open class untitled. If you show in untitled over 24mo, the highest rating you can get is SG.

If over 2 years and titled, the dog will be shown in working classes. In these classes, the dog has the possibility of getting a V rating. If the dog is not a V conformation dog, it will get SG, G and so on. For VA, it will have to be a Sieger show and dog must have additional requirements.

Unless you are a show person with a conformation dog, I advise you not to show a dog multiple dogs after you get the highest rating for the respective class, because you CAN get lower ratings even if you got a higher rating under a previous judge. One judge's rating does not necessarily influence another (unless it is a big show with big names...and that's a whole another story ) so you CAN get different ratings under different judges. Some judges are kinder and more accepting of working lines so we show the working dogs under them. Some judges don't mind about oversized dogs as much so you show your bigger dogs under them. Some judges are very particular about color so I might not show a dog with pigment issues under them and so on.

For example, knew a working dog that was really a "G" in structure. Under Judge 1, the dog somehow got a V when shown in a working class - everyone was pretty amazed that this G dog got a V. For some odd reason, the owner showed the dog again under a different judge. Judge 2 was by the book and gave the dog what it deserved: a G rating. Now it looks bad for the dog as a V dog now gets a G rating under a bigger judge. You will still have both show cards, and you can advertise her as a "V" dog, but if people looked at the info, they will still know that the dog was rated G. Unless you have lots of aspirations for the SV show ring, show her once for the best rating possible and stop.

I will show my showlines under many judges even if it is for the same class. So even if I got my SG, I still show her for many SG's under different judges because that shows that multiple judges rate this dog as a SG rating. Same for when she gets titled and goes for a V - she will be shown many times because it campaigns her, gets her recognition, AND gives me important feedback on what many different judges think about her structure. I can then use that information to plan for the future.

For my working pup, I will most likely only show her once for each age group. Most working people I know only show once as a young dog for SG rating as they need it for the breed survey later on. And if they want to go for a V rating, they show the dog again after it is titled. I like to show so I will campaign and show my working pup along with my showline. But I will not show her as much as my showline. For example, the working pup is entered in 4-6mo in the Sieger show to get her VP rating in that age group. I could have shown her at 2 other shows, but I will not - only my showline will enter those. Then I will show her once each as 6-9, 9-12, 12-18, and 18-24 - if at all possible, I will show her under judges that are accepting and fair to working dogs. Once over 24, I will wait to put a title on her and then start showing her seriously for several V ratings as it is a personal goal of mine to campaign and show a working dog in larger shows under several judges - working dogs need to be represented as well and if we do not go out and show the dogs, then we have no room to sit around and whine about show dogs ruining everything. But again, this is because of my personal goals, my conformation background, and it is only possible because the pup has the structure, movement, and conformation for me to even try for that - I would not try this with just any working dog - dog must have the structure.

Quote:
Oh and that reminds me of another question. I've seen everywhere that you can have either a tattoo OR a microchip, but all the registration forms I've seen for membership or showing just say Tattoo #. Would I just write the microchip number and write 'Microchip' in () or...what would I do in this case?
You can have either. Just fill in microchip number - they will know which one you are talking about as tattoos are shorter than chip numbers. Before the show, they might check tattoos and chips. At that time, just let the checker know which one you have.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:

I was curious about the Working Line vs Show Line aspect of this too. A few times I read that there are some clubs which are more friendly to one type or another, but so far nothing about judges being unfair based on type. Is that ever an issue though?
I can't remember the last time I was at a show where there were no working lines. They are definitely a minority but they do show. In my opinion, the ratings given have always been fair. Normally a show line has to be pretty exceptional to win a class (or beat competition, not just win because it's the only one). But I can say the same about my show line dog. I don't do a ton of ring training and don't campaign him at shows so he typically places towards the back even though he is a show line dog. As long as I get the rating I feel the dog deserves, I'm happy. I'm not huge into showing so I don't care if I'm not given the top spot.

It's not that the club is working or show friendly, but what type of club is hosting the event. For example the last event I was at there were many working lines because the show was hosted by a Schutzhund club that has national level members, so their show is going to draw more working line people. I've shown my young working line dog to an SV judge from Germany at a show dominated by show lines and he got the highest rating possible for his age (SG at 13 months) so in general I've found that the judges are pretty fair.

I tend to not show my dogs at shows right before a Sieger show or to judges that are judging the next Sieger show because these shows get more competitive and political.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Elite Member

Quote:

Yes - I've shown Kessy several times, most of the judges were very complimentary. I know her structure isn't perfect but she is an honest SG dog.

But one judge was downright nasty, she put Kessy at the back of the line and really smashed her in the critique. Said it's a dog of much "lower quality" than the others (showlines) in the class, and gave her a G.
The next day we had our Kkl, and the judge actually LOOKED at her and in the critique said a bunch of things that contradicted what she said the previous day.

I've also seen judges give WL dogs V's that REALLY don't deserve them. I'm not after an easy V - I'd rather get an honest rating!

Djenga von Castra Regina RL2 BH HIC TT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PAM ARCH SG Kessy vom Waldwinkel 2xHGH Schh1 OB2 RL1X RL3 RN TT AD

Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
I advise you to find a handler at the show or you can email the trial secretary to find out if there is a list of available handlers or sometimes the show website will list available handlers or you can show up the day of and ask around for a handler.
I'd rather give it a go and if I suck, then there is always next time. For me personally this is something I want to do, and I'm very willing to work with my girl and practice with her in class and even at AKC shows.

There some other reasons as well, but some of them are sort of personal, and I write/talk enough as it is! It has nothing to do with the dog, I honestly dont think she'd really care who handled her, but this is a 'me' thing. I mean I'm not averse to the idea, but I dont think it's best in my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
Unless you have lots of aspirations for the SV show ring, show her once for the best rating possible and stop.
Nah I'm just interested in seeing how we do, how she is rated, etc. I only really used that analogy because it was the only situation I could think of where it would make sense to go again for a different title haha. If I went out and got a V rating I dont think I'd be going out again :3.

Thanks so much guys for these answers!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Elite Member

I second what Lies said. You do NOT want to show your own dog. Practice at home, set up a ring with tape. One of you handle and one run the outside of the ring and call. That way dog gets the idea, hopefully.

We did a show and I just walked around with Falon and we asked real nice..lol..to some of the handlers and got a handler for our dogs. The guy I asked was popping a beer at 9am..lol..so I knew he would be calm. Max loved him.

My experience was everyone was super friendly. Max is a gnarly working line and got a fair critique and I wasnt even too embarrassed! Have fun!

Max Von Zahnderhaus -CGC- DOB 2/14/2012

Tim the Collie- RN -DOB 4/01/2010
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah finding a handler is never a problem. I've seen people try to show their own dogs and then someone jumps in the ring and takes their leash!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page