Westminster - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Westminster

I am just wondering what some experienced GSD folks thought of the Westminster GSD winner? I thought the dog looked nice, but was a little unsure about his gait. But I am an amateur.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Elite Member

I dont like the look of any show dogs gate, they look like mutants

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Penny - GSD - 11/11/2012
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel - GSD - 03/15/2010 - 11/05/2012
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 11:00 AM
Knighted Member

It was a bitch that won Best of Breed, she's a well known champion. I am not a fan of the American/Canadian showline dogs at all but she did have a nice dark mask/nice head.

SEL US CAN GVX CH Jantar's China Lake v Witmer

SG S-Hunter vom Geistwasser CA CGN TT ATD (Service Dog, Retired Airport Wildlife Control K9)
Zenna vom Geistwasser NTD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandiah89 View Post
I dont like the look of any show dogs gate, they look like mutants
Agreed. Aside from the GSDs, most dogs of any breed, have their front feet positioned inward. The handlers choke their dogs on these snares. Some dogs were gagging because of it. I have a hard time watching these shows, yet I still do it for some reason.
The St. Bernard, at least the one in WM that won his breed is looking more and more like an Eng. Bulldog with folds over the bridge of his nose. Just to mention one example.

Last edited by wolfy dog; 02-15-2013 at 12:26 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Crowned Member

I did not care for her. I started watching the breed ring but I think I got distracted before the class dogs were even done. Most of them struck me as looking really heavy/out of shape. Of course way overgroomed but very "soft" looking (fluffy but no solid bone or muscle, some overweight, soft temperaments, loose movement....).
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 12:36 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
Chyna looked pretty good for 8.5. Nice temperament on her. She got her HT (maybe PT as well) last year with Julie Degen

Jackie and the
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:15 AM
Crowned Member

I'm one of those people who think there's good dogs in all the lines. I'm not biased to anything specific, but I thought she looked terrible and wasn't impressed at all. She was walking on her hocks around that ring.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeph View Post
Chyna looked pretty good for 8.5. Nice temperament on her. She got her HT (maybe PT as well) last year with Julie Degen
I agree. Nice girl!

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Of course way overgroomed but very "soft" looking (fluffy but no solid bone or muscle, some overweight, soft temperaments, loose movement....).
Not trying to be argumentative, but I'm wondering why you say you saw soft temperaments. I watched the breed judging live, and didn't see that. So I went back and watched the video. Still didn't see it.

I did see some dogs that I consider a bit heavy. I've been guilty of taking Carly in the ring when she was a bit chunky and out of shape. Not anymore. Lots of running on the jumps keeps both girls in good shape (my thighs should be so muscular!)

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 09:05 AM
Crowned Member

The dogs were just sort of "meh". No one was twitchy or anything like that but I didn't see a dog come in the ring like he owned it. To me just being not skittish is does not make a really bold, confident temperament. The dog really has to *have* it and I think you can tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page