More dog show tales with a naked GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

More dog show tales with a naked GSD

I drove almost 700 miles round trip to Hot Springs, Arkansas this weekend to show the girls. Spent a boatload of money, as usual. Drove there in a MINI Cooper stuffed to the gills.

Sage looked absolutely fabulous. Moved like a dream. Took 2nd both days in the American Bred class. Grrr. If this dog ever matures, she's going to be something else!

Carly was rat-tail naked. No "panties" (as my handler calls her butt fluffs), and a tail that was just sad. The coat on her neck was thin. You get the picture.

Carly has 13 points. Needs a major to finish. Hot Springs is a 3 point major, on the nose. Everyone shows up.

On Saturday, Carly wins her Open class. Then Carly goes Reserve. A major Reserve. ARGHHHHH!! (And was completely dumped on Sunday.)

It was A LONG RIDE back to Oklahoma City...

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 07:55 PM

ahhh Been there done that with my male, the dog never left the ring without a reserve and most were majors,,atleast you got some points going,,close close ..

I used to tell him he was always the best man never a groom

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Knighted Member

Hope you don't mind, but I've never shown in AKC so I was wondering if you could explain "open class", "major" and "reserve" to me

Ash
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 08:11 PM

well it's been awhile since I've been in the ring, like years, but here goes
classes are age/gender separated, like 12-18, Novice, Bred By, Am bred, Open,
the winners of each class go into Best of Breed against each other (male & female)
They then pick a Best of Winners and a Best Opposite..I BOB gets the points.

You need so many points (15 I believe) to become a CHampion, that includes 2 majors,,majors are, you have to compete against a certain amount of dogs in that show..(majors can be tough, because there arent a ton of dogs competing)

Reserve is basically a 2nd to the Best of Breed winner,,should for any reason the BOB dog turns out to be a fake (not gonna happen),,the Reserve dog would get the points and BOB..) Kinda like a beauty pagent if the winner can't fulfill her obligations the runner up gets it LOL..

Diane can probably better explain or fix my mistakes , she's more current than I am

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 08:44 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
Hope you don't mind, but I've never shown in AKC so I was wondering if you could explain "open class", "major" and "reserve" to me
/back in the 60's when American fancirs were importing a bunch of German dogs, the breeders of American dogs didn't want to compete against them all of the time. So AKC started the "American bred" class. Any dog bred or born outside of the USA had to be shown in the Open class. this was not just for German Shepherds, but also for Rotts, etc.

A major is an entry of either sex that is good for 3 points or better. AKC has the country divided up into regions and the count needed for points in the regions can vary.

Reserve is like runner up to Miss America. If the Winners dog or bitch is not entered correctly, then the points go to the Reserve of that sex.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 08:46 PM
Knighted Member

Great info. Thanks Diane and Daphne

Ash

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately I live in the region (Texas, Colo, Okla) that takes the most bitches to make a 3 point major (14). If I go to Kansas, Arkansas, or Missouri, it takes anywhere from 8 to 10 bitches to make that same major. I think the numbers are determined by number of dogs in that breed registered in that area (I wouldn't swear to that though).

Carly has a 4 point major, and 2 major reserves. One Best of Winners and one Best of Breed. And a few other reserves sprinkled in there. You have no idea how I wanted that darn major this weekend!

My breeder likes to call a reserve "first loser", LOL.

~ Diane ~

and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Oh, and I enter Sage in American Bred, and Carly in Open. Have to split them up so my handler can show both of them. I'm certainly not getting in the breed ring!

~ Diane ~

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
My breeder likes to call a reserve "first loser", LOL.
haha I suppose it is similar to the SV "vice sieger" or "vice siegerin". My favorite is when they call wee little pups "vice sieger" when in reality the little guy just got second place. I suppose "vice-sieger" or "reserve" has a better ring to it than "first loser"!

Ash

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
Oh, and I enter Sage in American Bred, and Carly in Open. Have to split them up so my handler can show both of them. I'm certainly not getting in the breed ring!
And would "breed ring" mean just GSD specific? Is this the most competitive class? Is there a difference in prestige or merits to showing in Am.Bred vs Open class?

Ash

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page