Registrations and Conformation? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Registrations and Conformation?

I've only ever known about AKC registration, and am in the process of hopefully getting my female on a full registration instead of a limited one so that she can compete in AKC shows.

I also recently started looking into Seiger shows, but I havent seen anything about where you and/or your dog has to be registered. Is there a specific registry or club that I have to join up with? Do I need to sign papers with the breeder, does he need to re-register the litter? The litter is currently registered with the AKC only.

I would like to compete in Seiger shows, or at least see what they are about. What would I need to do to get started? I tried looking for articles about it but a lot of things were vague. Sorry if this is a silly question, but I appreciate the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Crowned Member

What type of GSD do you have? In general, it's the german showline and workingline dogs that are in the Seiger shows, and the AKC showline dogs are only in AKC shows. The types of dogs tend to be so different that it's like entering a doberman in the GSD class. No reason not to go and watch a Seiger show to see what they are all about. They aren't put on nearly as often as an AKC show and you frequently have to travel to get to one.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Crowned Member

In the USA, to enter a Sieger Show you need full AKC registration, a certified AKC 4 generation pedigree (you purchase this from the AKC), tattoo/microchip verification (this is a form signed by a vet or whoever did the tat/chip), and current membership to whichever organization is hosting the Sieger Show.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
Lies, I was told you needed a 5 Gen pedigree, is it only 4?

Jackie and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Crowned Member

As far as I know. I use 4-gens for both my dogs. This is the one you have to purchase separately and has the seal. I think you can get a 3-gen with registration but that's not the one.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

She's a working type, Czech border patrol lines on her mothers side and personal protection/police/SAR etc. The father was used at stud and he is from Sport lines. Some nice dogs in the pedigree too.

I know that its not often done, but Conformation is more something I want to do. Have wanted to since I was 8, so its kind of important to me on that level. The breeder wasnt going to register the litter with AKC cause he usually doesnt. The dogs are pretty much not show dogs, despite their beautiful conformation, at least IMO.

Anyway, because I said I wasnt going to breed her he gave me a limited registration. He didnt know (and I didnt realize until I got the papers) that limited means you cant show them in Conformation either. I should have been more specific, I mentioned I wanted to show her but I had that nagging feeling in my gut 'I should make sure he knows the registration has to be full' but I didnt listen to myself. I'm just hoping that he'll be willing to change the registration. He's very selective about breeding and I would be too, so I cant blame him.

I know that you can do Sport work with a fixed dog, and so I assume the type of registration for Sport isnt important. But I saw so much about Seiger shows I wanted to know more about what was required. I didnt know about registering with the club. Theres actually a couple of clubs I want to register with, so I should get on that quickly then. Thanks for all the info on that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page