Zefra: SV show next month - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Zefra: SV show next month

Zefra is entered in a SV show ( Competitors | 2012 Ontario Regional IPO Championship / Show / Breed Survey ) next month.

I am debating on having someone else handler her in the ring with me doubling outside.. but still not sure. I am just no good at stacking and feel like maybe she will do better with someone more knowledgeable holding her lead.

Here are a few photo's of Zefra from tonight. I am working on her standing STILL while in a stack and being checked over. If someone approaches, especially someone new, she starts this wiggling to the point of where her whole body moves... lol... oh boy.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 09:07 AM
Crowned Member

I would definitely have someone else handle her. Unless she's very experienced and ring trained the judges get snarky about dogs that aren't being presented the usual way. I've seen someone try to handle their own dog twice and both times it ended with the judge getting exasperated and someone else jumping in to handle the dog. The movement is more important than the stack. Rarely do I (as a ring photographer) see a perfect stack and often I have trouble photographing dogs that have years of ring training and experience because the handler isn't always stacking them well unless the judge is looking directly. The judge can deduce what he needs to see without a perfect stack. But if the dog is not handled well during the movement it will cost placements and possibly ratings. Since I have dogs from not well known kennels it's important that my dogs make as good a first impression as they can, otherwise the judge puts them at the back of the lineup and it's really hard to move up. At Pan's last show he did not place well because his initial lap was a little rusty, he got put at the back, and then the dog he was behind was not conditioned and kept stopping and coughing which interrupted Pan's movement and slowed him down so much that he was rarely even at a gaiting pace. When you come in as an underdog it's all that much more important that the dog be presented well and everything is done by the book.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Crowned Member

While she might do better with someone more knowledgeable-how will you become more knowledgeable if you don't try-if the web site is accurate that is a really small show-Guess it is whatever is most important to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Crowned Member

You have to consider the venue though. If one wants to learn to handle dogs, in the SV ring the best way to do that is to start by handling other peoples' dogs because this is how they are shown. The UKC is a much better venue for learning to handle one's own dog (in this ring it is encouraged, and professional handling is not even allowed). Not saying it can't be done here, but as someone who is showing a working line dog we already stick out like a sore thumb so why make it worse?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 09:55 AM

Have someone else handle her. This way you will be able to double handle in order to run with or call her so that she is encouraged to pull. The movement portion is critical to her placement.

Good luck...let us know how she does!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Crowned Member

Why is itbest to handle other peoples dogs-guess I am really clueless...but oh well...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Crowned Member

The owner needs to double handle their dog. If the owner handles their own dog, there's no double handler or it's someone else the dog doesn't really work for the same way it would its owner. The double handling is just as if not more important than the handling of the dog from the leash end.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Crowned Member

oh...ok thx
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks guys, I am trying to get a hold of a lady who does SV shows to see if she can handle Zefra and maybe do a few training sessions before.

I was wondering, how do you go about getting a handler for this? How much (generally speaking) does an event like this cost in terms of hiring someone to handle for me?

Thanks!

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Elite Member

She looks really good! With the young dogs most judges are pretty understanding of wiggly dogs.
The handlers usually charge about the cost of the entry fee for the class, at least at shows I've been to.
Normally when you get there you can ask around for someone to handle her and they will help you find someone. My first couple of shows I was nervous about finding a handler, but always found someone. Then I got my husband to start handling - he does a really nice job, saves $$$, and less stress worrying about finding someone! LOL

Djenga von Castra Regina RL2 BH HIC TT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PAM ARCH SG Kessy vom Waldwinkel 2xHGH Schh1 OB2 RL1X RL3 RN TT AD

Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page