Confirmation Showing or Not? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Confirmation Showing or Not?

I'm still doing a lot of learning, but in reading another thread, I saw noted that a dog must have a full registration to show in conformation. So my pup with a Limited Reg would not be eligible? I ask because I haven't made any hard and fast decisions yet, mostly because I'm not certain I can physically show our dog, what with having some limitations. But it's a moot point if the Limited Reg keeps him out of the running anyway.

Besides attending shows near us, and maybe meeting people there, is there an easy way to meet folks who might be in a position to help/mentor us when it comes to make choices about showing our dog or not (when he is old enough), and from whom we can learn more about how to go about it? I'd love advice/ideas from anybody as we certainly want to do more with our dog now that we can.

My Dog: Krissie ~ Beagle Mix Extraordinaire 09/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 01:09 AM

While you can't show in conformation with a limited registration, you can enter your dog in the sporting events, such as agility, obedience etc.

If you are interested in doing something with your GSD, then I would definitely find a local GSD club. Or if you want to do a specific sport, then find a training club for that. Clubs are fun, and you'll meet people who can help you. Good luck!

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Well, as it stands right now, I'm leaning towards Rally, as it seems a bit less formal than Obedience, and something that maybe The Mate can do with our pup, even though he's in a wheelchair. I'll do some more digging on clubs in my area, and if it comes out that Koshka would be a good conformation prospect, then I can always see what the breeder thinks about going Full Reg. I don't plan to breed anyway, unless somehow Koshka were to turn out to be supercalifragilisticexpialidocious awesome AND his breeder thought it would bring something good to GSDs as a whole. While I think he is already, that may not be true for everybody in the world.

Oh, and I forgot to say thank you!

Last edited by OriginalWacky; 02-13-2012 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Forgot something!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 03:08 AM

Hey, I've actually seen more than one person in a wheelchair do obedience with their dog at the shows!
I show my girls in conformation, but I'm kind of intrigued by Rally too.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
Hey, I've actually seen more than one person in a wheelchair do obedience with their dog at the shows!
I show my girls in conformation, but I'm kind of intrigued by Rally too.
I'm not trying to put The Mate down in any way, but I doubt he'd ever work to the precision that Obedience seems to require. He just doesn't go for strict rules, and I'm good with that. I'm also slightly on the lax side as far as dog training - as long as the dogs DO learn the basics that I demand. Now I just need to work on Krissie's attitude that EVERYBODY who comes near must desperately want her to jump on them act like an idiot.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Crowned Member

We have people in scooters showing in Rally in our area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page