Show and work? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Show and work?

I am interested in hearing about working-line SchH dogs that have also had nice results in the AKC conformation ring. Are there any? Experiences? Are there downsides to trying to train for both or is it not unreasonable to expect our working dogs to be able to go in a ring with others and be social with strangers touching them as conformation judges do? What are the opinions out there?

Kinarra German Shepherds

Visit us on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vanja Vom Kammberg
Pike vom Leineholz
Alyss von Kinarra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 11:47 PM
Crowned Member

I expect both my "schutzhund dogs" (have not titled yet, but have been working in the sport for over a year and half) to behave appropriately in the show ring and anywhere else I take them.

A balanced dog can do both.

I have entered both my dogs in conformation shows in the upcoming months as well as trials in schH, they have both also been involved in other sports and training and are also my companions (we live in a highrise apartment in the middle of the city, next to a large mall).

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 11:49 PM
Crowned Member

I think it's important for any dog to be able to tolerate handling that an AKC judge might do, simply because at a vet's office, a physical exam requires the dog be okay with being touched in a similar way.

I have heard of working lines that have done well in the AKC show ring. I can't think of any at the top of my head, but hopefully those who have will come along shortly.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 11:53 PM
Crowned Member

Isn't Akbar doing AKC?

XX z Weberhaus
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 09:07 AM
Crowned Member

My working line is actually more friendly (as far as strangers groping him) than my show line. I haven't done AKC conformation since Nikon (German show line) was a puppy but he beat American show lines at the puppy match. I do SV and UKC conformation with both show and working lines. I no longer do AKC because there are not as many shows and it's too competitive. I don't really have anything to prove to the AKC people; I feel we get fair placements and critiques in the UKC and SV rings. There are tons of working lines in UKC, maybe even more than I see doing SV. I can't remember ever seeing a pure working line dog doing AKC at least not any show I've attended.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Crowned Member

I think if the dog is conditioned to be handled at an early age, lines shouldn't matter.
Not many get working lines to show, so representation is very low.
And of course many judges are biased. But some see the WL as a breath of fresh air when they see one in the ring....I think more should represent.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Banned

The only reason I see that hardcore conformation people don't work their dogs is the time commitment both of these take. It's difficult to split the time evenly between the two. I don't see the touching being the problem, the one time I saw a Schutzhund dog start conformation it had difficulty running out infront of the handler in that true "gait" the judge likes to see. The dogs are so used to heeling that they need time to learn to run out front.

I don't see any problems with doing both though. Robin on the forum does both with her dogs and doesn't have any issues. If you have the time, go for it.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Crowned Member

It's funny, with a show coming up and my little working line girl (9 month old, 1/2 Czech, 1/4 DDR, 1/4 WG working line) who has been involved in schutzhund since she was old enough to walk my biggest fear is that she will wiggle in the ring too much or jump on the judge and try to kiss him to death! Seriously!

At the mere sight of people she starts wiggling in her tail, then her butt, then if you pay attention to her (even just by looking at her) the whole body starts wiggling!

Best part is though... she is a rock star out on the schH field!

XX z Weberhaus
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 11:22 AM
Master Member

Here's one:
SG T-Rex vom Kriegerhaus - German Shepherd Dog

Phyllis Dobb's dog Tracking Ch. T-Rex vom Kriegerhaus PT RE NA NAJ VCD1 HSCS BH UD has all his minor points, needs majors to finish. That's not going to be easy but she is determined!

--Regina and the GSDs:
UCDX von Sontausen Holy Grail (The BUNNY!) HGH, UD,RA,BN,GN, ASCA UD RAX High in Trial
PAM Monster Mike SchH2,UDX,OM1,TD,RE,VER
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 12:39 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Helen Gleason has done it with her 1/2 German dog.

Nocturne Acres Kennels German Shepherd Dogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page