Preparing for a conformation show - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Preparing for a conformation show

I'll be handling Whiskey and Wiva at a show coming up this weekend. I've been to shows, and do ring training with them, but this will be my first time actually calling and presenting a dog during at a show. What tips do you conformation veterans have for me? What do you wish you had known before your first show? Any tips regarding grooming, feeding the morning of the show, and show etiquette would be much appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

Ash
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 10:10 PM
Crowned Member

Ok...don't bathe the dog the day before the show.....if possible.
don't feed the morning of the show......do give them electrolytes (like Pedialyte or a canine sport drink).....do bring them a small (easily digestible meal) for AFTER showing, when they have relaxed & some time has passed.
do bring a pin brush & rake with....do bring a bottle with conditioning spray.

And MOST IMPORTANT of all..........DO listen to your handler (for directions).....and DON'T become too nervous......DO ..HAVE A FUN TIME!

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

....where breeding is still considered an art....
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
Robin, how come you don't bathe a dog before an SV style show?

Jackie and the
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 10:44 PM
Crowned Member

Hair coming out. Would do same in AKC ring show.

Running shoes with some grip. Check weather and dress in layers. Work with handler on when they signal to call you.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Crowned Member

The coat should have natural oils...and bathing right before a show takes some of the oils out of the coat. The coat doesn't lay right when it's freshly washed.
SV judges don't want to see German Shepherds, groomed with "poofy, fluffy coats"....like many have in the AKC ring.
A German Shepherds coat should be coarse, and lay flat.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thank you so much Robin! Exactly what I needed!

Whiskey is pretty set in terms of grooming. I am obsessive about his grooming. I make sure he glows so he's pretty nicely set for the show already. Wiva used to be a kennel dog till 2 weeks ago. It's her first time in a house so she's not potty trained fully...which means accidents in the crate which means a stinky girl. She's the one I am worried about keeping clean after I groom her. She's got a very plush coat as well so I know I can't bathe her the day before. She would look like a big puff ball. I just started her on salmon oil and Olewo so I'm hoping her coat looks tiptop by show time.

I wasn't planning on feeding the day of the show because I am paranoid about them pooping in the ring. But some people were saying that I should feed them because they would have low energy. Glad to see the tip about an electrolyte drink. I'll use that for sure. With these chow hounds, I am sure the lack of breakfast will make them pull hard and work well.

I'm a runner so I'm all set on the shoes and clothes
And the handler will be a friend from training so we're used to working together so I think that will go smoothly.

I'm considering not washing Whisk at all... His coat looks perfect right now. His last bath was a couple weeks ago. But then again, I might just wash him tomorrow to be sure... I think I'll wash Wiva tomorrow and hope she doesn't have any major accidents before the show *fingers crossed*

I'm so nervous! I hope the dogs don't pick up on that...I swear Whiskey is a mind reader and reacts to my emotions so easily... He'll be in the 9-12 month senior puppy class which is funny considering his first birthday is on Dec 20 so I'm pretty sure he'll be the most senior senior puppy LOL!

What conditioning spray would you recommend Robin?

Ash

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 08:17 AM
Master Member

Don't forget to clean their teeth, cut their nails, (basic cleanup) and you should use a thin leather show lead (approx 8') and show collar too.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

They chew RMBs regularly so they don't need teeth cleaning and nails look good (we run on pavement). Lead/collar set from training. Thanks

Ash

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 08:37 AM
Crowned Member

We like to use many of the horse products.....
One of Carlos's favorites is.....EQyss Premier Cream Rinse, Conditioner Detangler.
Put in spray bottle (aprox 1/4 of bottle product, add warm water & shake).
We spray everytime we groom them.

Farm & Fleet carries the product....I'm sure you could probably find it at feed stores too.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thank you! I don't remember seeing Eqyss, but hopefully I can find something similar at the pet store.

Ash

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page