Show Collar Preferences - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Show Collar Preferences

I am going to be showing my GSD at a UKC show in November and I'm trying to get everything together (first show). I was wondering what everyone's preferences are for show collars. The lady who I got my german shepherd from uses a collar like in the link. Also what do you use for leads? Links are appreciated!!

http://common1.csnimages.com/lf/1/ha...in-for-Dog.jpg

Emma vom Lamorak, CGC

Last edited by HannahK; 10-26-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Wow, nobody is willing to weigh in on this?

Emma vom Lamorak, CGC
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Elite Member

Max has the same collar for everyday use,

Max Von barkstoomuch, T.D.Inc, EPI Survivor, Bloat Survivor
Heidi Von affraidofpeople
Lilah Von cantsitstill

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Elite Member

Sieger Show Collar

I have absolutely no experience showing-but keep seeing these around. What do you think?

-Cassie
Shenzi the GSD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scruffy "To live in the hearts we leave behind is not to die.-Thomas Campbell"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zira “To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” -J.K Rowling
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 05:41 PM
Master Member

a sieger show collar would be different than a UKC or AKC type show collar. The one you linked to is the type most often used in the show ring. You will probably do well with that one.

Are you working with a trainer to teach your dog and yourself how to properly handle and show your dog? UKC is very friendly and caters to the new show people. So have fun with it!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 06:07 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

I like that type of collar for showing. it looks very dressy. I also like a brass hook on my show lead.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

@4TheDawgies, yes I am working with a trainer. I am in an advanced obedience class with some people who breed GSD's. They used to show in AKC and have been giving me lessons for free after my advanced class. I also go to a confirmation class with my dog with some trainers that show in UKC.

@Andaka, I ordered a silver one. I have never been a brass/gold person and always have prefered silver. The lead I ordered also has a silver clip on it

I am very excited for the show (Nov 13)! Emma is getting groomed on Saturday afternoon and we leave for the show around 7am. Takes about 1/2hr-45min to get there. I am doing day of show entry. I have shown in UKC before (never my own dog). I showed a puppy(she has littermates) in the non-license class for the lady who I got my GSD from because she can't show 2 at the same time

Emma vom Lamorak, CGC
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 12:09 AM

Hi Hannah

When we show our dogs we also have those collars but we mainly uses slip collars , nylon and leather. We also use 6 foot leather leads , we get from the wag

Leads - We design leads wear none can follow!

good luck
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
I use a combination of chains...usually jewelers link (regular chokes, just finer). I don't like hex link because #1 they pull out hair, and #2, I often get pinched, or accidentally pinch my dog.

I use an 8' show lead I've got...buffalo hide, haven't found another like it. It's narrow, and thus easily to manipulate and not cumbersome, but still strong enough to hold my dogs.

Jackie and the
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 01:22 PM

I have a thin, braided leather slip collar for UKC shows along with a 4' nylon 'comfort' lead. It's almost made of a thin rolled mesh-like material. I like to use that because it's so light that I can easily bunch the excess up into my hand without becoming uncomfortable. I like the collar because it's thin and tends to disappear in the ruff and also does not pinch or break off hair.

This is the type of show collar that I use for the SV show ring. As for the lead, I just have a narrow, black 6' leather lead...really basic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page