A Few Show questions... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

A Few Show questions...

Planning on showing UKC.

I have a leather slip collar with lead attached. Is this appropriate for a 6 month old puppy or do I need a chain one?

If the show is Friday is it ok to bathe and groom on Thursday? Will the oil in coat return that fast?

Tip to help hide a mild steep croup?

What are the essentials I need to bring? I am thinking the dog, crate, show leash, regular collar and leash, food, water, and chair. It is an indoor show. But, there is no food available on grounds (bummer) for humans. Why that bothers me I have no idea!!

Should I bring some kind of exercise pen for an indoor show?

Any tips on acclimating puppy to grounds and gaining attention?

Starting to get a bit nervous....

Thanks!!

Last edited by ninemaplefarm; 09-22-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Master Member

All great questions, I can't wait to hear the answer as I am showing UKC in November. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gobles Sonar vom Shipwreck, CGC
Dark Sable 100% DDR German Shepherd (4/1/2010)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Frosty Onyx Glacier, CGC
Grey/White Siberian Husky (8/29/2005)
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzyq01 View Post
All great questions, I can't wait to hear the answer as I am showing UKC in November. Good luck!
No way...me too!! The Warwick show, right?

We should meet up so we can give each other some support!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
Quote:
I have a leather slip collar with lead attached. Is this appropriate for a 6 month old puppy or do I need a chain one?
What does your dog do best on? That's your answer. I think many people default to "this is what the breed shows in...use it!" when that's not always what's best for the DOG.

I like to start my puppies on a slightly wider nylon choke that's not so hard on their throats, and get them used to the sensation of a collar up behind their ears without cold metal making the experience worse than it might be for some.

Quote:
If the show is Friday is it ok to bathe and groom on Thursday? Will the oil in coat return that fast?
That's fine. I groom 1-2 days ahead of time. I've got a show this weekend, was going to bathe my bitch today, didn't work out. She's being bathed tomorrow and will be just fine for showing. Don't worry so much about the oil returning to the coat, that'll take care of itself.

A big reason for bathing beforehand is to open up the coat, check for any sores/rashes/parasites (ticks are nasty bastards), and give them a good groom through to make show day preparations either.

Quote:
Tip to help hide a mild steep croup?
Back blow, back brush, hairspray/holding mousse, sculpt into place.

Quote:
What are the essentials I need to bring?
My list:
Grooming Table
Forced Air Dryer
Spray Bottles
Any Coat Conditioners or Sprays
Shampoo
Nail Clippers
Dremel
Scissors
Cotton Balls
Q Tips
Brushes
Combs
Leashes
Show Collars
Regular Collars
Water Buckets
Food Bowls
Crate Clips
Towels
Paper Towels
Plastic Bags/Pooper Scooper
Kennels
Tweezers
Antibiotic ointment
Mild bleach solution
Tums/Gas X
Dog Food
Bait

Jackie and the
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Xeph..thanks! Well, I have been bringing her to breed handling class with this lead but I noticed all the other dogs have the fine chain one that looks like necklace so I wasn't sure if mine was appropriate.

That's good news on the grooming!!

Is there a way to stack her so her steep croup looks less obvious?

Thanks also for your essential items list!!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

I might add.....I would ask the breed handler instructor but she is not helpful. EVERY single class she makes a derogatory comment about German shepherds in front of me (I am the only GSD person there). One week it was..."the GSD people are complete freaks". Last week, I asked her for tips on looking less uncoordinated and her "helpful" reply was.."Don't worry....the whole German shepherd ring looks like that so you will fit right in".

Last night, I heard her making another rude comment as I trotted out and back but missed it....

It is SO upsetting for me as a new show person. I get that she hates German shepherds but it really brings me down. More importantly, I am not getting the questions answered that I need.

But, it is close to me and at a good time as I can be home before putting my son to bed. Plus, it is a drop in class which is nice. So, for now, I just suck it up and try to watch the other handlers as much as possible. Several dogs have finished; two last night were close; one dog just got back from her breed specialty, etc. So, I try to watch a lot of what they do...
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 04:44 PM
Crowned Member

UKC Conformation shows dogs in their "Natural State", so watch it with excessive grooming product (hair spray etc.). If the judge can feel it, you may be disqualified. (Exceptions, of course, for breeds that are normally shown in a special clip.)

UKC shows are a little different from AKC. Make sure you read the rule book before you enter.

United Kennel Club: Rules Archive
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 04:46 PM

a little OT but are you talking about a show inside in Warwick RI?? been there done that, just know it is TIGHT quarters..

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPuppy View Post
UKC Conformation shows dogs in their "Natural State", so watch it with excessive grooming product (hair spray etc.). If the judge can feel it, you may be disqualified. (Exceptions, of course, for breeds that are normally shown in a special clip.)

UKC shows are a little different from AKC. Make sure you read the rule book before you enter.

United Kennel Club: Rules Archive
Thank you! Yes, I read the rules and volunteered at one show this spring (ended up ring steward..that was educational!!).

I don't have a grooming table, sprays, or anything like that yet....

I was going to get one but then one of the handlers in my class told me a table wasn't necessary for UKC shows?
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
a little OT but are you talking about a show inside in Warwick RI?? been there done that, just know it is TIGHT quarters..
Yup..that's the one!

Please share anything else you can!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page