Showing a coated dog + Critque - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Showing a coated dog + Critque

So I want to show Sonar, but not sure where? There are tons of AKC conformation shows around us, I would like to enter one and just see what happens. But not only is Sonar working lines he is also considered a coated dog. What are my options? Would we be dq if I entered an AKC all breeds show because of his coat? Thoughts and suggestions please.

Photos deleted due to overly large size. MOD Andaka

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gobles Sonar vom Shipwreck, CGC
Dark Sable 100% DDR German Shepherd (4/1/2010)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Frosty Onyx Glacier, CGC
Grey/White Siberian Husky (8/29/2005)

Last edited by Andaka; 09-21-2011 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Photos too large
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 01:58 PM

I have a LC that I have shown UKC and she's done well, but I showed her when she was out of coat. Although, on top of that, she's not much of a coat anyhow. She's one of the inbetween coats.

Why not show this guy in SV shows? They should start having LC classes at most of the shows soon.

I'm not sure about AKC. I think it depends on the judge. LC is not a DQ, but it's considered a fault ... so, some judges may see it as grounds for not placing and other judges may see it as a minor fault and still place if the dog is great in all other areas.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Do I have to register him with the UKC to show him in a UKC show? He is AKC registered.

He is somewhat in between also IMO.

Do I just look for SV conformation shows? How would I find one in my area? Is this through Schutzhund?

Sorry for my ignorance. Thanks for the advice

Frosty Onyx Glacier, CGC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Crowned Member

To be in UKC shows you need UKC registration. However if there's a show coming up that you want to enter, you can get a Temporary Listing (TL) number which gives you 60 days (I think?) to process a UKC registration and have the points transfer over.

To be in SV type shows in the USA you have two options: GSDCA-WDA or USCA. Generally to be in these shows you need AKC registration, an official 4-generation pedigree from the AKC, and a tattoo/microchip verification form. Your dog must be tattoo'd or chipped. Depending on the age of the dog and the show (club, regional, national) there may be additional requirements. How old is your dog and are you a member of WDA or USCA?
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Crowned Member

How tall/long is Sonar, suzzyq1? In the second picture, he looks ultra compact. Maybe it's just the camera perspective?

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 03:28 PM
Banned

It must be hard to judge a coaty in movement. The second shot looks like he has a rounded back and that could just be the coat bouncing. He's a beauty.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
To be in UKC shows you need UKC registration. However if there's a show coming up that you want to enter, you can get a Temporary Listing (TL) number which gives you 60 days (I think?) to process a UKC registration and have the points transfer over.

To be in SV type shows in the USA you have two options: GSDCA-WDA or USCA. Generally to be in these shows you need AKC registration, an official 4-generation pedigree from the AKC, and a tattoo/microchip verification form. Your dog must be tattoo'd or chipped. Depending on the age of the dog and the show (club, regional, national) there may be additional requirements. How old is your dog and are you a member of WDA or USCA?
Sonar is 18 months old (19 months on Oct 1), He has his AKC reg paperwork and 5 generations, he is also micro chipped.

I am not currently a member of an association. Do you recommend one over another? I will definitely get the registration paperwork from UKC and see what I need to do for that and get the ball rolling. Thank you.

Frosty Onyx Glacier, CGC
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
How tall/long is Sonar, suzzyq1? In the second picture, he looks ultra compact. Maybe it's just the camera perspective?
I think the last time I measured it was around 26" I will retake another measurement tonight as that was a few months ago. He is a big boy, huge head and paws. He is still very lean though.

Frosty Onyx Glacier, CGC
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Crowned Member

This is what you need for the UKC (I would also include photos of him from the front and from each side, they've started asking for these now):
United Kennel Club: Single Registration

WDA vs. USCA usually depends on your location and which has more shows. The nice thing is that you can attend WDA shows even if you are not a member, you just cannot enter national level events without being a member (not sure if this is also true for USCA). I am a member of USCA right now and am attending a WDA show next weekend. If your dog is older than 12 months then you need to send his 4-gen AKC pedigree (it must be the official/certified 4-generation pedigree, not any other types) either to the WDA or USCA along with their microchip verification form. This is a form you bring to your vet to sign and verify their chip. WDA and USCA each have their own on their website (note: if you get one done, I would just have the vet do both in case you join or show with the other organization later on):
http://germanshepherddog.com/members...ion%20Form.pdf
http://www.gsdca-wda.org/forms/VETER...-Microchip.pdf

Keep in mind that when the dog turns 24 months old if he does not have a working title (SchH or HGH) he can only be shown in the "open" (24 months untitled) class and this class is not always offered, nor do the ratings count towards a breed survey if that is your goal later on.

Hope that helps!
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzyq01 View Post
I think the last time I measured it was around 26" I will retake another measurement tonight as that was a few months ago. He is a big boy, huge head and paws. He is still very lean though.
Wow! That's crazy. It's probably just me, but the photos make him seem so small! I really though he looked about the size of a border collie in that pic. Odd. I agree though, he's a great looking dog!

[BTW- you need to go into photobucket and resize those images to 800 x 600 before a mod deletes them...]

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page