Critque/tips? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Critque/tips?

I'm just crazy enough to show my working-line puppy in conformation next month. She's 9 months old now and we've started conformation classes. She's getting better at stacking, but I'm having a hard time keeping her nose out of the grass when we gait. She does much better when our "judge" has a treat waiting for her when she comes back--better extension, better expression, etc. I am trying to get hubby to take an interest in double-handling but he is nonplussed about the whole thing. Any ideas?

Moving away from the judge

Moving toward the judge

Stacking--it looks like I need to set her front legs straighter. Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Crowned Member

not to discourage you , but I don't think she will do well in american show --- .
I am a real cheerleader for Sontausen dogs --- great temperament , great tracking drives -- I would love for you to prove me wrong , but I do believe the comments coming back will be "restricted movement" front and rear .

Before you head into a point show take her out to some inexpensive sanction matches which are to help train newby dogs and newby handlers . You can go to the judge afterwards and ask for a critique on the dog and reason for the decision in their placement.

Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Crowned Member

For USA/WDA/SV style - you should be the double handler - she will be less likely to stick her nose on the ground and will pull more if someone else is on the lead and you are out front (or if she is like mine! hiding somewhere and occasionally calling her!) If you are doing AKC - I have no clue...avoid that ring coz it makes me sad when I am at shows...

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Crowned Member

I am not qualified to critique, but I do read all the critique threads because I find it very interesting. There was a thread not long ago (and I can't find it for the life of me) where someone pointed out that there is a term used when the front legs are forward and not straight. I don't recall the term, but I do recall that the front legs need to be perfectly vertical. In your stacked photo, your dog's legs are forward a bit...

I also want to say that I've not seen a photo of you where you didn't look super happy. That's neat...

Geez- I totally missed this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
Stacking--it looks like I need to set her front legs straighter.

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014

Last edited by wildo; 09-21-2011 at 12:16 PM.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
not to discourage you , but I don't think she will do well in american show --- .
I am a real cheerleader for Sontausen dogs --- great temperament , great tracking drives -- I would love for you to prove me wrong , but I do believe the comments coming back will be "restricted movement" front and rear .
Oh, I know that. I don't expect to win. I just love to see working dogs in the conformation ring--of any breed--and so I figured, why not? It's something different. I've never done conformation before.

Plus that, one of Julia's dogs has been nominated for some kind of award, and we need to show that the offspring have no disqualifying faults. We can do that either by going up to a judge at a show, asking him/her to sign a form saying such, or we can simply do it by entering a show.

To tell you the truth, winning scares me more than losing. I just want to present her correctly and not make a laughingstock of us or waste the judge's time. Here we have an inexperienced handler with a working-line puppy ( who will probably come into heat just in time for the show). Ack! I'm trying to just concentrate on making it fun for both of us, but truth be told, I'm pretty nervous about it!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 12:46 PM

I know relatively little about showing SV style, and nothing about AKC. But I do know working dogs CAN win! I put mine in two shows, one of them regional, and he took first in his class in both!
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 01:04 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Try puttine your collar just behind her ears and then tightening up on the leash. /that will help to hold her head up. Depending on the judge, I would think you will be alright. Is the show inside or out?
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Crowned Member

Wildo , the term was bridged -- that is a stacking problem where the handler places the legs forward of the shoulder instead of straight underneath.
Carmen
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 01:08 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
Wildo , the term was bridged -- that is a stacking problem where the handler places the legs forward of the shoulder instead of straight underneath.
Carmen
Ah! Yes! Thanks!! I just couldn't remember the thread I saw that in...

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Crowned Member

Freestep I am all for Julia getting the award !
Can you select the venue , as in SV style conformation show , american show . If you select the later choose for an all-breed judge instead of a specialty that will look for more exaggerated angulations.

Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page