Is she up to par for AKC? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Is she up to par for AKC?

I'm not very familiar with American Showlines. My husband and I own all German bred GSDs, but I used to show AKC with Aussies years and years and years ago (and years LOL).

My plans were originally to just do UKC shows, but I've been toying with the idea of trying out AKC with this girl. I'd appreciate input. If it's a waste of time, please tell me ... by all means, I won't have hurt feelings. I know GSDs in the American show ring are very specialized, so I certainly don't want to look like the laughing stock with my German dog. This girl is obviously not as angulated and not as feminine as an Am bred bitch would be.

Her coat is a bit ... special. She's not quite a long coat and not quite a standard coat. I guess some might call her plush? She tends to get some fly away hairs around her face and legs. Her tail is also quite bushy. However, the coat along her mid section, chest, and neck is always short. She does have a double coat, as well.

In these photos, her coat is blown so she looks grey. She's actually a lovely red and black sable. In fact, she's so dark that most don't realize she even IS a sable. She looks more or less like a red and black saddle back. Also, her legs are very straight looking from the front and back. No cow hocks, no wobbly hocks, no east/west ... just straight.

I did photoshop myself out of the stacked photo and I "tried" to fix the horrible lighting and color. However, her topline is untouched and so is everything else. Her color is nicer than what this photo shows. Yes, her ears really are that big.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 05:02 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to KLCecil
Your dog is a Long Stock Coat, her coat is exactly like my Jaina Girls she is just not as extreme as some LSC get. So it is a fault in the standard but not a severe one. I will be showing my girl Jaina in AKC just because I can lol
I actually show aussies in AKC now

~Kimberly Cecil~
Cataclysm von Dagg "Jaina"
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramage View Post
My husband and I own all German bred GSDs, but I used to show AKC with Aussies years and years and years ago (and years LOL).
Could not have been THAT long ago.
AKC did not recognize Aussies until early 1990's I believe. (unless they were FSS prior to that?)

Last edited by gagsd; 08-20-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 05:17 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLCecil View Post
Your dog is a Long Stock Coat, her coat is exactly like my Jaina Girls she is just not as extreme as some LSC get. So it is a fault in the standard but not a severe one. I will be showing my girl Jaina in AKC just because I can lol
I actually show aussies in AKC now
I don't see ear fuzzies.... based on those pictures, I would not call her a long coat. Her coat looks pretty typical.

OP- can't hurt to try your hand at showing her. Doubt that she would be laughed out.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 06:01 PM
Elite Member

You won't even know until you give it a try. Nice looking girl, she gaits well, stacks well. I say go for it. You might be surprised with the outcome.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagsd View Post
Could not have been THAT long ago.
AKC did not recognize Aussies until early 1990's I believe. (unless they were FSS prior to that?)
It was long enough ago that I barely remember what to do in the ring LMAO! Actually, I think the last AKC show with the Aussies was in 96 or 97 (I think). Somewhere in the mid to late 90's at least.

I did handle a few American breds at an AKC show 2 years ago and managed to get a RWB with a dog I was handed outside of the ring and told to go show. Of course, I was so nervous I don't even remember what all I did or what order. Luckily, the dog was trained enough she did the work for me and I just stood and ran when told to.

The girl I posted about actually does have ear fuzzies. Not heavily so, but it is there and can be seen easier up close. So does that mean she is, for certain, a LSC? I've had others call her that, but never quite agreed only because the rest of her coat is so short. Maybe she is God's rejected LSC idea It really does look as if she doesn't quite know herself what she is supposed to be.

I guess the worst that will happen is a judge might not place us at all if they think her coat is too long?
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyominggrandma View Post
You won't even know until you give it a try. Nice looking girl, she gaits well, stacks well. I say go for it. You might be surprised with the outcome.
Thank you! I do like her a lot. She is just my cup of tea. If I could show her and be half way competitive with AKC, it would be a huge bonus ... but I didn't buy her for that reason and honestly only planned on UKC at best. Being able to show UKC and/or AKC would just be a hobby for me and fun to get out and do.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Gagsd - I see you are into herding? We've started our West German WL bitch on sheep and plan to start getting her out to trials this winter and next year. I'd be curious about your bloodlines that you have found to be best suited for the herding.

Last edited by Ramage; 08-20-2011 at 08:14 PM.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 10:20 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to KLCecil
Ah HA! I knew it She looks a ton like Jaina. https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...13-months.html

At the worst the judge would do is not place you.

~Kimberly Cecil~
Cataclysm von Dagg "Jaina"
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLCecil View Post
Ah HA! I knew it She looks a ton like Jaina. https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...13-months.html

At the worst the judge would do is not place you.
Yes! That is what my girl looks like when she is in coat. Almost the same coloring, too, but minus the gorgeous black mask that Jaina has

See, I still have a hard time calling Jaina a long coat. Neither really look like true long coats, but I guess genetically they are. When do you plan to start AKC with Jaina? I'd love to hear about her progress. Hopefully it will give me motivation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page